Author Topic: your thoughts on PPIs ( proton pump inhibitors)  (Read 7645 times)

lori

your thoughts on PPIs ( proton pump inhibitors)
« on: July 27, 2012, 05:11:40 AM »
HEEEELP!!!!!!

a year ago I finally got off reglan- side effects can be horrid- ie, tardive dyskenesia...

began seeing natural dr inadditon to regular mds. began using digestive enzymes.....

ok, always had reflux... i am not refluxing but now find myself having acid flares every month or so... i try to be very careful with what i eat ect. i do take script zantac 150 twice daily...

however, i am on methotrexate which i think helps irritate stomach and adds to the acid problem....

was just at a dr appt for chest pain after a heartburn episode. she ruled out heart and gave me nexium....

ok ...i took one yesterday... but i am uncomfy taking them allt he time

becuase: ppis been proven to cause rebound effect 9 acid is worse after stop them than before)
causes bone loss ( already take synthroid and calcium supp supposed to increase heart disease)
has been identiifed in C- diff patients as contributing to folks getting that

i know sjs folk have gastric issues- ive had gastric issues since i was a kid....

i have a whole bucket full of natural remedies but so far nothing is really keeping me out of acid flares- also have that  lump in my throat alot...

suggestions? thoughts????

lori

iraisin

Re: your thoughts on PPIs ( proton pump inhibitors)
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 05:21:00 AM »
I have really bad issues with gastric stuff. First I suffered from IBS - couldn't go poo for 8 days at a time...then I started developing ulcers, some bleed, some I catch in time. I've also had issues with intestinal bleeding after a bad bout of dehydration that required ER intervention and IV fluids.

What happens is that your mucus lining in your stomach becomes compromised and that can go throughout your gastric system. The acid your stomach creates can eat holes in your stomach.

I cannot survive without PPI's. The digest enzymes do help. There is some from the Vitamin Shoppe that are plant based. When I eat a "heavier" meal, I'll take more, when I just eat salad, I'll just take one. So the dosage varies with what you eat and you will learn how that goes over time.

I do get very tired after eating on the PPI's because my body is having to work a bit harder.

DO NOT drink iced drinks while eating. Drink temped water if you have to use water to help you swallow.

For me, the choice is a simple one. I have no choice.

Winnie

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 05:33:46 AM »
lori
I have the same concerns.  I have been on PPIs since my last son was born about 10 years ago.  I didn't think too much about it until I got sick last year and read all about the "bad" things we take.  I also go to a naturopathic doc but I refuse to take too much natural products from him because my rhuemmy says "it is not regulated".  Since sicca, my PPi was changed along with a new gastro and my damage to my esophagus is worse.  My calcium and vit D are going down the drain.  Now I have to have upper GI procedures yearly to rule out and prevent barretts esophagus.  One problem is solved but starts another problem, and the list goes on... Like iraisin said, I don't know if I have another choice...

Winnie :)
Sicca Syndrome-Aug 11', osteopenia, IBS-C, gastritis, GERD
Plaquenil, Dexilant, Vit D, Calcium, gluten free, dairy, egg & nut intolerances

ohiolady

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 07:23:24 AM »
I struggled with this greatly in the beginning of my gastric nightmares.  I DID NOT want to take a PPI on a regular basis.  Then it became the least of my problem and I have no choice.  I take Dexilant and it works well for me.  Sometimes we just have to accept things we cannot change.  I tried every natural remedy possible.  For mild cases I think these work but not for someone with slow motility or severe reflux.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

jazzlover

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 11:21:20 AM »
I have no choice either. I hate it.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

matildamillicent

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 01:56:56 PM »
I had that side effect on Reglan. It was scary and horrible. I ended up in hospital and I couldn't talk or move at all. Luckily I took with me all the medications I'd been taking and that was in my bag. I was very lucky it wasn't permanent, but my doctor said I have to stay off it from now on.

I'm on Lansoprazole and have been for about 2-3 years. Without it I'm in a lot of pain. It still wasn't quite enough though so my doctor added Ranitidine and it seems to be better under control.

slccom

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 02:15:03 PM »
I've been on generic Prilosec for over 20 years. No problems at all. Sharon

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 02:22:46 PM »
There is a lot of info out there about the PPI's and who knows what the end result will be. I do know that people who continue to have acid reflux will get Barretts esophagus eventually. This is because the acid causes the cells in the bottom of the esophagus to change in a matter that becomes a precancerous condition. Then you have to really watch and have tests often.

I was on Prevacid for a couple years and a few others and never seemed to get rid of the heartburn/reflux entirely. I also got sick of paying for it cause my insurance won't. I finally got desperate and tried the omeprazole or Prilosec that is OTC. This seemed to work when I took 40 mgm at night. I told my doc eventually and he wrote a script for it.

I still have intermittant heartburn and usually use OTC antacid like Mylanta or Maalox. However, when I really get a bad gut I have a script for Carafate (generic Sucralfate 1 Gm) every 12 hours or so as ordered by my doctor. This is a drug that has been out for a long time and isn't used much. You have to be careful as you can't take with calcium and have to take one hour before or 2 -3 hours after meals. There are also some other drugs that can't be taken with it.

I just skip my calcium when I take the Carafate. It is a large oblong pill with a sort of bluish tinge. You put it in a glass with about 3 tablespoons of water and smash it a bit. This pill sort of forms a "slurry" with the water which you stir and swallow. YOu then can drink come more fluid. It coats the lining of you stomach and does sooth and help.

I don't think it is used much anymore because they like to sell the PPI's. My theory is that if you watch your diet and stay away from the fats and other foods that set you off you will be able to maintain. Also, drink plenty of fluids to keep the acid in your stomach diluted.

I generally have done well on the prilosec in spite of being a pop drinker. I am on a big heartburn event now because, we had company from Arizona and ate lots of rich food. I also made fresh peach cobbler and ate a WHOLE bunch of peach cobbler, peaches on ice cream, peaches on cold cereal and hubby's cousin sent home a big plate of home made brownies and I ate the whole darn thing. I have not eaten that much junk in years and am I suffering.

By the way, the reason I was pigging out is the company came on a Thursday and the next day my doc took me off my Metformin for diabetes as my blood sugars had been running too low. Soooo, being of sound mind and totally stupid I ate like a pig. I get to check blood sugars once a day for 3 months and then get the AIC rechecked. I am not very hopeful!!!!

Anyway, it pays to try different things to see if the reflux can be controlled. Fats are very hard on the gut because they demand more acid/enzymes, whatever to break them down and digest them. This is hard on the stomach. Fried foods, eggs and too many meats bother me a lot. Good Luck. Irish ;D

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 06:02:05 PM »
Hi  :)

Ok - I'm pretty ignorant about PPIs but I don't think I could function without them. I had permanent heartburn every day for about 6 months. H-pylori was dxd and I was given antibiotics but the heartburn remained constant. I had an endoscopy which dxd esophagitis and a hiatal hernia. I was prescribed PPIs which I have taken ever since. If  forget one - which happens occasionally - by the end of the day - I know about it!!  Every so often I  'flare' and the remedy is to double dose on PPIs for a couple of weeks and things settle down. I never notivced diet making a difference one way or the other.

Take care - Scottie
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 09:15:25 PM »
Scottie, You rest your case. You have found out that by missing one pill it makes a difference. There is no better way to test for the need. I just wanted to give a little info of things that could be done to deal with the reflux.

I know that it can be just really hard to get rid of the reflux. No one was more surprised than me when I changed to prilosec and found it worked better for me than a PPI. We are all different, that is for sure. Take care. Irish

sass

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 12:18:46 AM »
I am with Scottie too...don't claim to know that much about them except that I can't do without them.  I am on Dexilant now, after being on Nexium for years, that just quit working.
I have had no problems with them....now without them, don't want to go thru that again.  lol

And I have just started recognizing that things in my diet that were fine before are suddenly bothering it.  pizza, awe man~sass~

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 12:48:04 AM »
I don't like taking them, but I am worse off if I don't. Zantac does help me for awhile, but then I get the acid returning too much so for the long haul I need the other.

Without it, I literally have my airways closed off from the acid reflux that comes up my throat.

susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

susan

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 10:26:41 AM »

Lori,

Appreciated your comment on the use of proton pump inhibitors with c diff or a history of.

My understanding is that an acidic environment helps keep the c diff in check.

At an ENT apt. Yesterday I voiced my concern about the regular use of these meds, and the doc said he had never heard of this problem.

I learn a lot on these boards:)
Sjogrens, Stills disease, Acromegaly, Interstitial cystitis

Plaquenil, Prednisone, Octreotide injectable, Crestor, Xanax

iraisin

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012, 12:59:06 PM »
I'm sorry, I don't want to annoy you with my ignorance, but what is c-diff?

Suslew

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2012, 03:12:23 PM »
Clostridium difficile, a bacterial infection.  Very difficult to clear up.