Author Topic: Esophageal Spasms  (Read 3573 times)

4Kids

Esophageal Spasms
« on: July 19, 2012, 03:15:17 PM »
I got 3 last night. I know what they are since my gall bladder was very, very similar in pain to this (although esophageal is about a 3 on the pain scale right now and the gall bladders were absolutely 10 by the end of it) and I googled things... long story short, I think I have Nutcracker Esophageous.

Great.  :-\

We took the kids to Chuck E Cheese and if avoiding pop and their pizza will solve the problem--then you got it, Pontiac. I also noticed when I swallowed my med last night I wasn't sure it went down. I thought I was doing ok taking less Salagen, and I am not sure if this means I am. I think I will make myself take more.

Any tips? It has happened 3 times since having my gall bladder out, and 2 of them in the last year. So not a big deal BUT I'd rather be armed with info than suffer with pain like that again.  My gall bladder very nearly killed me.  (really, i had a stone stuck in the duct to my liver and no one believed me and it went on until I had to be hospitalized, yuck. Then I was a non-emergent surgery case and had to wait in total from the stone sticking from Monday until surgery Saturday. In the meantime I couldn't eat and got jaundiced.)

Anyhoo...  anyone w some insight, feel free to fill me in.

Jackie

Plaquinel, Restasis, Salagen, Arthrotec, Cod Liver Oil, B Vitamins, Palafer-C, Plaquinel, Metformin, Spironlactone, Biotin

anita

Re: Esophageal Spasms
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 06:52:33 PM »
You really need manometry to confirm spasms.  The test itself is quite uncomfortable.  Mine ended up being negative for esophageal  and the spasms where determined to be cardiac (coronary artery).  The best treatment is nitro...and it relieves it right away.  However, they are likely not going to prescribe nitro until they confirm.  If they occur frequent enough, they will prescribe long acting nitrate or calcium channel blocker and also the nitro for break-through events.
52 yr old SjS, APS w/strokes, Autonomic Neuropathy, PN, Nephrogenic DI, (CVID) IgG def., Cushing's, Asthma, Gastroparesis.  Sero-neg w/+ lip biopsy.  Meds: IVIG & pre-meds, Arixtra, Aspirin, Plaquenil, Cardizem, Toprol XL, Domperidone, Nexium, Midodrine, Symbicort, Fentanyl, Percocet, Zofran

Persephone

Re: Esophageal Spasms
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 07:18:01 PM »
I am unfamiliar to the Nutcracker esophagus.  However, I am too familiar with spasms.  Mine happen quite frequently and the pain is behind my sternum.  I use some home care measures that help when I get them and at times, I can avoid them.  I drink more beverages than I eat food during any meal.  It is very necessary that I take small bites and chew a lot.  When eating a food, such as a bread product, that is dry or moldable you need to have a wet mouth and take small bites.

No eating quickly, that is another spasm trigger for me.  Also, when I am having a spasm, I slow down my breathing and sit very straight and lean back.  After taking a few long and slow breaths, I take a large mouthful of water and then swallow all of it very quickly.  This trick helps any food that is stuck at the site of the spasm and it seems to calm the spasm somewhat.  If you do have a spasm that is hard to calm down, a heating pad and a pain pill does the trick for me.  For me, a spasm causes a lot of gas and bloating, so I will also take Phazyme. 

I have had pain in the spot you've described.  However, it isn't an esophageal spasm that causes it.  Please google "the sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction".   I think that might be more what you are describing.  It occurs in more women, than men, who have had their gallbladder removed.  It mimics gallbladder pain and it is a rhythmic type pain that is similar to an esophageal spasm which is up higher. 

I hope I've given you some insight in this lengthy rambling post.  You're best bet, is to see a gastro doctor.  I hope you get some relief.  The spasms are painful and if you can avoid them, do it!

Persephone