Author Topic: Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy  (Read 5418 times)

anita

Re: Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 05:40:03 AM »
Did you ever get a bone density test?  That is the best way to truly determine the amount of bone loss.   Then treatment should be tailored based upon the findings.
52 yr old SjS, APS w/strokes, Autonomic Neuropathy, PN, Nephrogenic DI, (CVID) IgG def., Cushing's, Asthma, Gastroparesis.  Sero-neg w/+ lip biopsy.  Meds: IVIG & pre-meds, Arixtra, Aspirin, Plaquenil, Cardizem, Toprol XL, Domperidone, Nexium, Midodrine, Symbicort, Fentanyl, Percocet, Zofran

Aquarius

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 09:46:14 AM »
If you are a fan of Dr. Weil,  his question of the day addresses bone building drugs.   drweil.com

Sooki

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 12:57:31 PM »
I've been on bioidentical hormones (triestrogen and progesterone) for about 15 years.  My menopause symptoms were pretty severe.  It was mostly flashing and insomnia.  The latter so bad, I was desperate for some help.  I tried Premarin at first and it was horrible.  My innards felt like they were twisting around. 

When I tried the bioidentical hormones and got the dose right, it was like blissful nothing.  I just felt good again, so side effects, just no flashing, and sleep.  I was very happy on them.

I've stayed on them because whenever I tried to quit, the symptoms would come back.  I got tired of the cost ($55/mo) when I started taking Sjs drugs so I ramped the concentrations down over several years.  I'm finally off them this week.

There is apparently a 5 year study of their safety which still has another year or so to go.  I wouldn't assume they have the same risk as Premarin, etc., especially with the experiences I had.  But their risk hasn't been quantified yet.

I also started taking DHEA but at a very low dose - 5 mg/day.  It's made a huge difference (that and the ALA (200mg) and ALC (200 mg) that you recommended - thank you).  Before DHEA, my muscles were getting weaker and weaker.  I'd exercise and they'd just feel tired, not stronger.  With DHEA, my muscle mass is growing again and I'm getting stronger.  When I use the elliptical trainer, my muscles feel good, like they're enjoying the workout.  When I mowed the lawn yesterday, I could push it rather than have to leverage it with my body like I usually do.  My rheumy said that sometimes DHEA can increase cholesterol levels, especially in women, so I'm watching that.

Weight-bearing and resistance exercise are the best for rebuilding bone.  Parathyroid hormone and calcitonin are also involved, but I don't know if dietary intake of them has any effect. 

I hope your bones knit together well and quickly, Joe, and get really strong.  It sounds like you're doing a monumental job of rehab. 
68 yo, Sjogren's, Lupus, Hashimoto's, fatigue, MGUS, peripheral neuropathy, ocular rosacea
Plaquenil, CellCept, Synthroid, Atorvastatin, Xiidra, doxycycline, D3, biotin, B12, ALA, DHEA, Ubiquinol, CPAP, D-mannose, Paleo AIP, fish oil, Cliradex wipes

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 01:30:09 PM »
I don not remember why I stopped taking DHEA, HGH has also been recommended in the literature to reduce the other hormones. It is supposed to modulate there effectiveness as I remember. I will try to pick some up this weekend.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

anita

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2012, 06:40:22 PM »
I really think you should request (demand if necessary) to get a bone density test.   You used to (a ways back) encourage others on this forum to pursue things like this...not guess.   You have no idea what your bone density is.   Did a doctor confirm "your" findings on the xrays?     

Please follow up on this.  Then continue with your plan...which I think sounds good.  After some time has passed you should retest (bone density) to actually see if you've made progress...it's the ONLY way to tell for sure whether you've improved density.

You need to know your baseline, so you can gauge improvement or continued loss.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 07:19:05 PM by anita »
52 yr old SjS, APS w/strokes, Autonomic Neuropathy, PN, Nephrogenic DI, (CVID) IgG def., Cushing's, Asthma, Gastroparesis.  Sero-neg w/+ lip biopsy.  Meds: IVIG & pre-meds, Arixtra, Aspirin, Plaquenil, Cardizem, Toprol XL, Domperidone, Nexium, Midodrine, Symbicort, Fentanyl, Percocet, Zofran

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2012, 08:31:17 PM »
The doctor was the one that told me about the Xrays. I see him again on the 24th of the month. At this point I am trying to heal. I have a lot of fatigue from trying to push my limits. Tonight is the second night that I went for a short drive. We have a long drive tomorrow and Sunday. I know that I will not be sleeping well for two more nights. I went shopping today and walked the whole time.

I have been checking the hospital system that we are locked to for a new doctor that will talk with me..
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism