Author Topic: "Shingles Vaccine May Be Safe for Those on Immunosuppressants"  (Read 1405 times)

olmphoto2

Good news!  This was in my email from Medscape today
Says, in part...
"The study was published in the July 4 issue of JAMA.
The results may help allay fears that the live-attenuated HZ virus in the vaccine (Zostavax, Merck) may cause a varicella outbreak in people treated with immunosuppressives to control immune-mediated diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis (RA). However, those diseases also leave people more vulnerable to a shingles outbreak, with approximately twice the risk for HZ than the general population. The US Food & Drug Administration, the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, and the American College of Rheumatology contraindicate the vaccine for patients receiving the immunosuppressives.
Jie Zhang, PhD, biostatistician, Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Alabama at Birmingham, and colleagues examined the Medicare claims data from 2006 to 2009 of 463,541 people, including 18,683 individuals who were vaccinated for HZ. All patients were aged 60 years and older and diagnosed with RA, psoriasis, psoriatic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, or inflammatory bowel disease."

[To view the link, you do need to have a free registration with Medscape.]

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/766842?sssdmh=dm1.799964&src=nldne
Mary Ann in Wisconsin

"A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that is unlocked and opens inwards as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push." 
          Ludwig Wittgenstein

jazzlover

Re: "Shingles Vaccine May Be Safe for Those on Immunosuppressants"
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 04:52:43 PM »
NO way I'm doing that.
Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib, neuropathy, plantar fasciitis

quietdynamics

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 05:04:33 PM »
Thank you for the information slccom was kind enough to post this information also http://sjogrensworld.org/forums/index.php?topic=20387.0

JAMA
Study Conclusion: "Our data call into question the current recommendations that HZ vaccine is contraindicated in patients receiving biologics and suggest a need for a randomized controlled trial to specifically address the safety and effectiveness of HZ vaccination among patients receiving biologics."

It will be interesting to learn what further studies provide and what long term (more than the 42 day parameter used in Zhang study) determine now that have a control group to follow.

I'm not sure what to make of this information:
Overall, the incidence rate for shin- gles at least 42 days after vaccination was 8 cases/1,000 person-years among vaccinated adults, compared with 12 cases/1,000 person-years in a cohort of unvaccinated adults.
http://www.caringfortheages.com/clinical-focus/pain/single-article-page/shingles-vaccine-safe-for-elderly-on-biologics/b9e6b8e6e0addb53e9ee589e996f4ba3.html

Perhaps one of the more experienced on the forum can comment
Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea

mshistory

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 08:33:56 PM »
Biologics ... isn't that more like TNF blockers such as Enbrel?

I think the data provided is clinically significant if it can be replicated.
SLE and SjS with PN. ANA >1:1280 speckled,
SS-A >8.0, RF positive. Botox for migraines, Clonazepam, Zoloft, Imitrex for migraines, CellCept 1000 mg, Plaquenil 200 mg, Restasis, Zofran for nausea, Gabapentin, Evoxac and Norco for pain.

rnathans

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 08:35:56 PM »
Some were on steroids.

volleymom

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 08:14:35 PM »
[size=14pt]This brings up a question I've been pondering lately.  I know that recommendations say the Shingles Vaccine is for patients over 50.  I'm not there yet but I've had shingles twice already.  Does anyone who has had the disease ever get the vaccine?  And if so, do they have to wait til they are 50?  And then there's the issue of being immunosuppressed...
Im also on steroids for Addison's[/size]
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 08:16:23 PM by volleymom »
T1 Diabetes, Addison's Disease, Sjogren's Syndrome, Celiac, Hypothyroid