Author Topic: Shingles Vaccine?  (Read 3888 times)

quietdynamics

Shingles Vaccine?
« on: June 27, 2012, 04:51:20 PM »
Has anyone spoken to their Dr. about the vaccine?

The CDC recommends that the following people DO NOT get the shingles vaccine:
Someone who has had a life-threatening or severe allergic reaction to gelatin, neomycin, or any other component of shingles vaccine
 A person who has a weakened immune system because of HIV/AIDS or another disease that affects the immune system

Treatment with drugs that affect the immune system, such as steroids
 Cancer treatment such as radiation or chemotherapy
 A history of cancer affecting the bone marrow or lymphatic system, such as leukemia or lymphoma
 Women who are or might be pregnant

« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 08:30:00 PM by quietdynamics »
Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea

Sooki

Re: Shingle Vaccine?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 05:05:26 PM »
Yes, I had one a year and a half ago.  My doctor recommended it. 

It's a live virus, which means you get the antibodies by your immune system fighting the virus.  So, if you're on immunosuppressants, it's a definite no-no.  At the time, I was on plaquenil only, which didn't seem to be a problem.  Several months later, I went on cellcept and then would not have been able to take the vaccine.

The statistics show that it prevents 50-70% of outbreaks and reduces the severity of remaining outbreaks, and reduces the chance of post-shingles chronic pain. 

My immune system was/is fairly strong and I had no problem with the vaccine.  I was happy I was able to get the vaccine before I was no longer able to, as my mother and sister have had terrible outbreaks.  I would suggest anyone considering it check with their rheumy about their individual situation.  My insurance paid for it as preventive care, as I was over 60 yo.

65 yo, Sjogren's, Lupus, Hashimoto's, fatigue, MGUS, peripheral neuropathy,
Plaquenil, CellCept, Synthroid,
D3, Ca/Mg, fish oil, ALA, DHEA, biotin, B-12, always GF, DF, S(oy)F, currently Paleo Autoimmune diet

iraisin

Re: Shingles Vaccine?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 09:20:40 PM »
So it stays with you? It's not like the flu vaccine you have to get every year? I don't know anything about it. I avoid vaccines since I don't do well with the flu shot - and I never get the flu anyway. As matter of fact, I can't remember the last time I actually caught a virus.

But I did have chicken pox as a kid - so shingles could very well be in my future without this vaccine.

Sooki

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 09:37:28 PM »
CDC says it lasts at least 6 years but maybe much longer.  I've never had a flu vaccine either as I never get the flu or any other cold.  You may also have a strong immune system, which is good for getting the shingles vaccine.  It seems with Sjs, we either have an overactive immune system that just won't quit, or we have an underactive one that gets pummelled by whatever comes along.
D3, Ca/Mg, fish oil, ALA, DHEA, biotin, B-12, always GF, DF, S(oy)F, currently Paleo Autoimmune diet

Madison Granny

• Keep on fighting and stay strong!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 09:59:29 PM »
I had the shingles vaccine in February of 2009.  I wasn't diagnosed with SJS until late July of that year.  It is a costly vaccine but well worth it.  My prescription insurance only paid $50.00 on it.  I think we paid around $100 for our share.  I wish they had had it out soon and maybe I wouldn't have the post shingle pain I still have.
Primary SJS, dRTA, Osteroporis, OAB, stage 3 kidney disease, hypothyroid and high blood pressure.  Medicine I take are plaquenil, bicarb, prolia, synthroid, toprol and amolipine, citracal and vitamin D.  I use Arex and Azasite and Prolia.  I also have Reynaud's and osteoarthris of the toes

jazzlover

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 10:07:51 PM »
 I won't do it. I never get a flu shot.. never get the flu. I don't trust vaccines. I don't want shingles, but I'm taking my chances. Since I've had Lyme disease, my immune system is in overdrive in one part and low on another. That's about as technical as I can get!
Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib, neuropathy, plantar fasciitis

Piebird

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 10:48:53 PM »
I had shingles last year. I wish I had gotten the shot instead. Here in BC I was told it is free to folks with AI issues.

The reason you have to get the flu shot every year is because the flu bug changes.

quietdynamics

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 11:41:25 PM »

My mother was the one who put the "bug" in my ear. She had a friend who was in a great deal of pain with Shingles and wants me to get the vaccine.
I am leery of vaccines "du jour" and have only gotten the flu vaccine once (not sure if it was related but for some reason I could not lift that arm more than 1/3  way for almost a year and Dr. never could determine the cause) ... but did have chicken pox. 

Then Monday while waiting at a Dr. appt. I was chatting with an elderly woman who was a retired nurse. She told me she had gotten shingles and it was a painful, bedridden case and afterwards she got the vaccine. She suggested I get the vaccine.

With the meds I take now managing the SJS, Fibro, Headaches..... I am thinking this time I might get the vaccine as Shingles is in the nerve endings.

Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea

Patty

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 06:44:22 AM »
My doctor said if you are on immunosuppresants, you should not get it because it's a live vaccine. I'm not sure how prednisone figures into it since that suppresses the immune system.
Sjogren's, Vasculitis,  IC, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Raynauds, Peripheral Neuropathy

Sooki

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 10:47:50 AM »
Prednisone IS one of the listed immunosuppressants that disallow the use of the vaccine.  Also cellcept and biologics.  But not plaquenil.

Ark mom

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 01:36:05 PM »
Can you get the vaccine if you are younger than the recommended age?  I would like to get it sometime this year when I am well off the prednisone in case I must go on something stronger than Plaquenil down the road, like the biologics.  Being on an immunosuppressant would make it easier for the virus to reactivate, no?  I do not want shingles!!!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 02:19:33 AM by Ark mom »
41 yo with Sjogren's (sero-neg), FMS & sub-clinical Graves; Plaquenil, Evoxac, prednisone, Restasis, Cellcept, gabapentin, duloxetine

Madison Granny

• Keep on fighting and stay strong!!!
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 03:52:23 PM »
I had the shingles vaccine before I turned 60 but I had already had the shingles.  I don't know if the doctors would give it to a person under 60 if they hadn't had the shingles.  It is something to ask your doctor about.
Primary SJS, dRTA, Osteroporis, OAB, stage 3 kidney disease, hypothyroid and high blood pressure.  Medicine I take are plaquenil, bicarb, prolia, synthroid, toprol and amolipine, citracal and vitamin D.  I use Arex and Azasite and Prolia.  I also have Reynaud's and osteoarthris of the toes

irish

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 11:47:08 PM »
It is not advised that people with autoimmune diseases get a live vaccination. It could make a person big time sick---possibly even life threatening.

Remember that people with autoimmune diseases also are very prone to immune deficiences. We have had some people on this forum in the past who had the live vaccine and got very, very ill. Irish

slccom

• Sharon,
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 12:13:46 AM »
My doctor gave both my husband and me a prescription for the vaccine. My husband had the shingles, and we know quite a number of people who ended up with lifelong post-shingle pain.

I'm getting mine. So is he.
Sharon
Sharon, 57-YO female, Sjogren's, depression, sicca, ataxia, hard of hearing, neuropathy,  high BP, arthritis, more. Restasis, pilocarpine, Wellbutrin, Lexapro, oxygen, arthrotec, HRT, plaquinel.

gurs

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 05:51:17 AM »
I would never in a million years ever get a vaccine....I dont trust them, and They make also contribute to AI diseases...especially these newer
vaccines where I dont believe they have been tested long enough...I also had shingles before, when I was only 22 years old, so I know the pain as well.

Even if I was healthy, wouldnt trust them.

Gursie
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 06:29:23 AM by gurs »
50 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements