Author Topic: stomach attack  (Read 2492 times)

Winnie

stomach attack
« on: July 01, 2012, 02:01:35 PM »
I got up with pain this morning.  I have this sometime and it is a colon spasm that continues like labor pain until I go to the bathroom.  It is a terrible pain!!! Gastro said it is due to constipation.  I thought I cured my constipation after making dietary changes in April. Boy, again was I wrong!  Even bragged to the Rhuemmy that I was going 4-5 times a day.  Then he decided that my loose bowels could be the plaquenil and took me down to 200. I have been struggling ever since.  I knew that it could happen so I tried eating black eyed pea soup for the last two days.  Ok, maybe I made things worse.  I also have a mild intolerance to some beans but not sure on black eyed peas.  Well, if this diet isn't going to help my constipation then I am mad.  I want to eat again!!

I was home alone after church, almost passed out from the pain, crawled on the floor and prayed.  The pain usually goes away with a BM but not today.  I walk stooped over, lay in fetal position.  It hurts like I'm pregnant and the baby is pulling tendons down there but I am not pregnant! It hurts to cough and move my legs. 

I am finally feeling better, not hungry, sore to the tummy touch but fear tomorrow morning as I still feel constipated and it could happen again.  My eyes and mouth are drier than usual this past week also.  I guess it could be related to "sicca" or some other disease that has not raised his ugly head yet.  Maybe I will try miralax? I want my mommy!! :'(

Winnie
Sicca Syndrome-Aug 11', osteopenia, IBS-C, gastritis, GERD
Plaquenil, Dexilant, Vit D, Calcium, gluten free, dairy, egg & nut intolerances

cargillwitch

Re: stomach attack
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 02:36:19 PM »
try magnesium citrate! I see you are taking calcium- without magesium to balance it out you will have problems with constipation ( like we don't have issues with that anyway!)

I take at least 300 milligrams twice daily to keep things humming along. No tummy upset with it like a lot of other kinds of magnesium do to me. I highly recommend it.
47 female, Sjogrens ,Raynauds,degenerative disc disease.Rheumatoid Arthritis, gastroparesis.

quietdynamics

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 03:44:25 PM »
I want my mommy!! :'(

Winnie

Sending a Mommy Hug
Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea, Livedo reticularis,

"You can't have a positive life with a  negative mind"

Cdbhappy

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 06:13:40 PM »
Last week my doc recommended miralax as it will not damage colon and is not a stimulant. I also take a probiotic like align every day.
Cdbhappy
Lupus, fibromyalgia, sjogrens, bladder cancer.
One day at a time- learning how to mange my changing body.

mshistory

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 06:15:39 PM »
Aw, I like the mommy hug  :)

I have gotten those horrible worse than labor pain types of cramps too but mine are usually associated with sudden bouts of diarrhea. Now that I've gone off the Plaquenil, I am getting constipated too. MiraLax does work well but taking stool softeners like Dulcolax might be a bit easier (I just never liked having to try to get the Miralax to dissolve in a liquid - warm liquids work much better and the only warm liquid I drink is coffee in the morning).

I asked my daughters' ped. GI if stool softeners were to safe to use daily for chronic constipation and he said yes, and that there was no evidence that people would become dependent on them in order to have a bowel movement.

My daughters take the chewable magnesium stool softeners and they work really well too.

I am so sorry you are in so much pain - I hope you feel better soon.
SLE and SjS with PN. ANA >1:1280 speckled,
SS-A >8.0, RF positive. Botox for migraines, Clonazepam, Zoloft, Imitrex for migraines, CellCept 1000 mg, Plaquenil 200 mg, Restasis, Zofran for nausea, Gabapentin, Evoxac and Norco for pain.

quietdynamics

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 07:13:25 PM »

I was looking up some info and came across Prebiotic

Prebiotic (nutrition)  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prebiotic_%28nutrition%29
recommendations typically range from 4-8g for general digestive health support, to 15g or more for those with active digestive disorders. Given an average 6g serving, below are the amounts of prebiotic foods required to achieve a daily serving of prebiotic fiber:
Raw Dandelion Greens 24.7g (just under 1 oz)
Raw Garlic 34.3 g (about 1.2 oz)
 Raw Onion 69.8g (about 2.5 oz)

I am in the same "restroom" with mshistory and get "sudden bouts of diarrhea" ...in reading the info I can easily add the Dandelion Greens to my Red Leaf Lettuce Salads. 1oz is not much. I used to make dandelion tea.

More info on Prebiotic and Probiotics : World Gastroenterology Organisation Global Guidelines
http://www.worldgastroenterology.org/assets/export/userfiles/Probiotics_FINAL_20110116.pdf
Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea, Livedo reticularis,

"You can't have a positive life with a  negative mind"

iraisin

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 07:29:55 PM »
aw, Winnie, I am so sorry. I used to have horrible constipation...for DAYS at a time. Horrible, horrible pain and discomfort. I have some home remedies that helped some of the times my life was taken over by constipation.

coconut macaroons - believe it or not. I even gave them to the kids when they were having trouble with pooing. Dip them in apple sauce.
Kayro syrup (can't remember if that is spelled right).

I did those to see if they worked before taking a stool softener. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. The stool softeners would have me in a fetal position all night, rolling on the floor sweating terribly. I was then scripted a syrup by my gastro and that got me through the IBS years.

Now, i have found some "chips" that fix it overnight for me. They're basically dry oven baked kale. Drink a lot of water when you eat them.

I know these sound so simple, but I just couldn't handle the medication.

As a last resort, supositories will do the trick. It may take doing them all day, and you'll sweat your a$$ off, but your clog will definitely get cleared.

The probiotics are new thing, so I don't know much about them, but based on the advertisements they sound like a viable option to try - not sure how quickly they start working though.

Meantime, if this is starting to be a problem, you may want to add a plant based digest enzyme when you eat a big meal. They will help long-term to help you get through this season you are having.

Again, I am thinking of you. I know it hurts and I am so sorry.

Winnie

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 08:23:56 AM »
Well I took Miralax last night and I am not having the passing out pain today.  I will take one more round tonight and see what happens.  I am discovering that anything that happens makes me so tired.  I just couldn't get moving this morning.  My boys and I got in trouble for not watering our bushes and I believe we lost several from the extreme heat.  I got out and sweated my tail off and now I feel fine.  Routine.....helps.  I go back to school  the first week of August. 

Cargillwitch - I have taken several days of mag oxide but I was afraid it was making things worse.  Gastro recommended.  Naturopath recommends citrate.  Not sure when to take it since I am on plaquenil.  I will ask.  Thanks!

I have probiotics in my frig from my naturopath.  I may try them after I get things moving smoothly.  Gastro doesn't recommend them either.

I was drinking Plum Start which has pre and probiotics for a while but was concerned with upper GI being worse and thought maybe too much acid.  I believe it works though.  I really don't have any idea if fiber helps me or not??  I try a lot of natural products but it seems like I just get an intolerance to it if I keep using it.  Kale chips - I tried baking my own and they are okay as long as you eat them in one setting.  Not sure how to store them.

I am going to try to get by with Miralax and a probiotic until I see the gastro on the 19th.  Hopefully he will be open to more natural products and I guess I will schedule my colonoscopy then. :( 

Thanks, everyone. 

Winnie ;D
Sicca Syndrome-Aug 11', osteopenia, IBS-C, gastritis, GERD
Plaquenil, Dexilant, Vit D, Calcium, gluten free, dairy, egg & nut intolerances