Author Topic: How long will Salagen stay in your body?  (Read 1389 times)

Sven

How long will Salagen stay in your body?
« on: June 17, 2012, 05:38:47 AM »
I would like to see how dry I will be without it. I know that you say that it lasts about 4-5 hours but if you have been on it for three months maybe I have built up some "base effect"?

iraisin

Re: How long will Salagen stay in your body?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 09:19:39 AM »
I use my Salagen like an "as needed" med. You can go off of it and see what's going on without any adverse affects. Check it out - see where you are. You may find that you don't need the pill regularly or daily and can use a spray like OralBalance on the better days.

I carry some with me always though. You maybe can get one of those tiny plastic zip bags and put a few in your wallet.

I've also found a good product from Halls that is specifically for oral moisture. This helps with my breath too since my dry mouth has given me gingivitus and subsequently, bad breath.

45 yr. old mom-2 boys, Primary Sjogren's (SS-B)
fatigue, brain fog, muscle & joint pain, gastric, arthritis
Flaxseed, Evening Primrose, Plaquenil, multi-vit., salagen, digest enzyme, Pantoprazole, D3, Cranberry, CoQ10, GenTeal ointment & gel drops, NasoGel, Oralbalance, Vinpocetine, Naproxen

iraisin

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 09:25:21 AM »
here's some reading on the subject:
http://www.medicinenet.com/pilocarpine/article.htm

The effects last three to five hours
45 yr. old mom-2 boys, Primary Sjogren's (SS-B)
fatigue, brain fog, muscle & joint pain, gastric, arthritis
Flaxseed, Evening Primrose, Plaquenil, multi-vit., salagen, digest enzyme, Pantoprazole, D3, Cranberry, CoQ10, GenTeal ointment & gel drops, NasoGel, Oralbalance, Vinpocetine, Naproxen

4Kids

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 09:55:51 AM »
I have been in it for a year. It works, but not like i want it too. My mouth webt from normal to no saliva overnight so i will not complain, because i have a sense of normalcy on it. But- I wake up with an ok mouth, only a little dry. as the day progresses it gets drier but not bad, just sticky dry. So I take my Salagen. But it doesn't seem to give me much saliva unless I have a lozenge or something in ky mouth. On its own, it is pretty dry (Sticky, gummy dry) with or without salagen. With a saliva sure or mint, it is fine. No extra saliva but fine.

Like I said, no complaining because I can eat crackers, toast and peanut butter, a peanut butter sandwich... Whatever I want. So obviously a lot has been helped w it. But I am sad it doesn't make me completely normal.

I guess we all want to be normal, huh.
Plaquinel, Restasis, Salagen, Arthrotec, Cod Liver Oil, B Vitamins, Palafer-C, Plaquinel, Metformin, Spironlactone, Biotin

My blog: http://thenot-so-supermum.blogspot.ca

Sven

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 04:23:25 PM »
What I meant was if I dont take it for two days, is this the way it is as if I have never taken it? Or do you think there will be some long lasting effect from taken it before?

cargillwitch

• cargillwitch
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 04:34:20 PM »
Yes Sven, after as little as a few hours your body will be rid of any effects of the pilocarpine( Salagen) .

Your mouth will be as if you had never taken the drug.
44 female,Primary Sjogrens ,Raynauds,degenerative disc disease.
gastroparesis.Magnesium citrate, andrenergyn,Valerian,pancreatic enzymes, hydrochloric acid, vit D3,Floradix
www.cargillwitch.blogspot.com

gold55

• GoldenLoves
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 05:55:40 PM »
Hey Cargillwitch, I really enjoyed your blog.  You have a magnificent family and life!!  You and your hubby are a very nice looking couple :D

Sorry Sven, can't give you advice on Salagen.  I hope you find your answers quickly after you stop the drug!
Dx#1:  dx changed to Sicca Syndrome + UCTD (how wonderful)
Dx#2:  Osteoarthritis and high cholesterol
Meds:  my golden retrievers, my doodle, otc tylenol, ibuprofen, mobic, vitamins, omegas, oral pilocarpine, liguid chondroiten/glucosamine with

cargillwitch

• cargillwitch
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 07:58:45 PM »
thanks very much gold55! 
photoshop is a marvelous thing!  ;)
gastroparesis.Magnesium citrate, andrenergyn,Valerian,pancreatic enzymes, hydrochloric acid, vit D3,Floradix

trector

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 09:26:56 PM »
I have a really dry mouth and a nasty testing mouth if I don't take my Salegen. So I try to take it at least 2 times a day. Dr. wanted me to take it 4 times a day but thats pretty hard to do. And he said if I go off of it it would give me a nasty taste is my mouth. I should take it more because like right now its 10:00 pm and I have a really dry mouth and my toung hurts.

Sven

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 02:06:03 AM »
Thanks!

After two days now without the Salagen my mouth is about the same. But three months ago the Salagen made a big difference.

Interesting.

Have anybody heard about Salagen loosing its effect?

cargillwitch

• cargillwitch
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 06:57:48 AM »
If I understrand salagen correctly it stimulates you functioning salivary glands to secret more saliva.

Those glands that are too badly damaged to secrete due to the distruction  by your own immune system are unable respond to the medicine.

I would guess( and best discuss this with your health care provider) that if suddenly the salagen isn't making a difference in saliva secretion that the immune system has attacked and impacted more glands.They are no longer able to produce saliva .

Sven

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 08:22:13 AM »
If I understrand salagen correctly it stimulates you functioning salivary glands to secret more saliva.

Those glands that are too badly damaged to secrete due to the distruction  by your own immune system are unable respond to the medicine.

I would guess( and best discuss this with your health care provider) that if suddenly the salagen isn't making a difference in saliva secretion that the immune system has attacked and impacted more glands.They are no longer able to produce saliva .

But the strange thing is that I am not much dryer now then before I started taking Salagen. If more glands were gone would not my mouth be much worse now?

irish

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 09:54:07 AM »
sven, Who knows.THe thing with autoimmune disease is what you have occuring at one moment in time may not be true an hour later.

It is sort of a crap shoot. We just go with the flow when we have autoimmune disease and never expect to go back to normal, but can hope for some relief from issues off and on. No one can ever, ever give us the answer we want cause we are all different. Irish