Author Topic: WHY do results take so long?????????  (Read 1086 times)

eye2dry

WHY do results take so long?????????
« on: June 08, 2012, 12:36:55 PM »
Hello all.

As some may know....saw PCP for parotid 4 weeks ago

sent me to ENT which I saw 8 days ago.

got my CT on parotid tuesday...3 days ago....

ENT said he'd call me with "the game plan"

he said the CT was to see what it was and size of it.

ENT said 'no matter what it is,,,it has to come out"

I was not offered a needle biopsy.

HOW long does a person wait? My husband says the longer it takes to hear from him the better the news.

WHY was I given by the CT tech a copy of my CT on CD? I have not watched it...I can't interpret such things.

eye2dry

JustKat

Re: WHY do results take so long?????????
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 01:05:52 PM »
I have a friend whose SO is going through a rough time with a diagnosis because of all of the symptoms he is having (not SJS related - totally different). He was given a CD with some of his results because he has been going back and forth from doc to doc so the CD is really for them.

I wish I had something helpful to say about waiting for tests but I surely don't.  ???

rnathans

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 02:57:42 PM »
Find out if your ENT has the results or needs you to get the CD to him.

Crymeariver

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 04:48:17 PM »
It is just paperwork turn around time.  The radiologist has to review it and send the report to the ENT etc etc.  It has  always taken a week for me to get results even being seen in a university hospital system where everything is in-house. 

Do you have a return appointment scheduled?  My cancer related docs would never give results - even good ones- over the phone.  They do everything in person. 

eye2dry

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 08:08:54 PM »
Crymeariver-

no return visit scheduled b/c he daid he'd call.

I am not sure what he will say at my next visit....I guess I should not go alone.

eye2dry

Crymeariver

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 09:47:31 PM »
I'm sorry you have to wait through the weekend  :(

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 11:24:27 PM »
I am sorry that you have to wait too. However, this is the Murphy's Law of the medical world. YOu have a test done and you can't wait to hear what the results are. Then you don't hear from the doc. Chances are you doc had a day off or had a medical meeting, etc. There are at least a hundred things that happen to slow things down.

As someone said it is the turn around on the paper. It is also because the docs are busy getting paper work from tests on different patients and they are also sitting and filling out the blessed forms that the government has demanded be done for insurance companies. Nothing is easy anymore.

I agree with your hubby. Sometimes if there is something that demands immediate attention the radiologist will call the doc personally and this speeds up the turn around time as the doc will then call you sooner. Soooo, it is going to be a long weekend. Try to find something to do besides sit and worry. Either way you are going to have your parotid gland out and that sounds like a good plan to me. Take care now. At the same time, it struck me that today has now become Friday and you could also hear something today. It really hasn't been overly long to hear about a test. Irish