Author Topic: Can't get rid of this headache!  (Read 7129 times)

Jen2

Re: Can't get rid of this headache!
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2012, 06:28:14 PM »
I was on Topamax for over a year.  You have to work your way up in dosage...so I started at 25 mg, and was up to 200mg and my headaches mostly went away.  The problem was, I couldn't follow a sentence from one end to the other.  I had the cognitive ability of a box of rocks!  Yes, it was a LOT worse than my usual brain fog.  I would drive somewhere, and not remember how I got there.  The other nasty side effect (and sorry if it is TMI) is total lack of sex drive, and if one does manage to be motivated to give it a go, total inability to (cough) enjoy it anyway  :-[.  Being a college student (and a wife for that matter lol) I had to reduce my dosage to 50mg, and it just didn't help much.

I know a lot of people sure do like the stuff...and there is the nice side effect of weight loss! 

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2012, 09:45:48 PM »
I don't have many headaches, but when I get them they are usually doozies.

I also don't have the migraines but can get upset stomach, etc. I know that at times my headaches are because of dry sinuses. I have  found that when I irrigate my nasal passages ht moisture seems to help some. Also, the warm heat on the sinuses releaves the pain.

The only way to get ridof mine is to take ibuprofen, irrigate nose and heat to sinuses. I have always felt that these are caused by sjogrens and the inflammatory/dryness. Maybe it would help you folks to add some of these treatments along with the migraine meds. Might help some. Just a thought. Good luck. Irish

Gayle

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 01:40:34 PM »

sktaylor

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2012, 05:05:23 AM »
Thank all of you for your advice and input. I am so glad I have people to share and talk with that have common ailments.

gurs

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2012, 11:02:44 AM »
I notice when Im flaring..like now, I get a back headache/headpain that doesnt calm down with anything I try.

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

sis

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2012, 04:20:02 AM »
sktaylor,

You need intervention.  When i get into a migraine like this my neurologist wants me to let him know.

He will put me on a steroid dose pack to break the migraine cycle. 

He only gives me 9 relpax a month(my rescue med.) He says if I need  more that he needs to be called.

I hope you get some relief soon. 

I too have been on Topomax.  It made me stupid but did not affect my sex drive!

I'm off of it now and have acupuncture treatments which have been proven just as affective as the topomax w/ out the side affects.

Hope this helps.

quietdynamics

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2012, 10:38:54 AM »

I take Topamax for headaches. Slowly weaned on and kept a diary as per Dr. request. I could not tolerate the higher dose (diarrhea), but, as the diary indicated success at a lower level we cut back to that level. I continue to keep and give the Dr. a copy of the Word/Chart Diary I keep every month...sort of information at a glance.

I found I had no brain fog and much improved mental clarity. At the same time the Neuro had treated my sleep problems with Ambien 10mg.  The combination of better quality sleep and the relief from the stress of daily headaches has benefited me mentally, emotionally and physically.

Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea, Livedo reticularis,

"You can't have a positive life with a  negative mind"

quietdynamics

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2012, 10:47:22 AM »
I was on Topamax for over a year.  You have to work your way up in dosage...so I started at 25 mg, and was up to 200mg and my headaches mostly went away.  The problem was, I couldn't follow a sentence from one end to the other.  I had the cognitive ability of a box of rocks!  Yes, it was a LOT worse than my usual brain fog.  I would drive somewhere, and not remember how I got there.  The other nasty side effect (and sorry if it is TMI) is total lack of sex drive, and if one does manage to be motivated to give it a go, total inability to (cough) enjoy it anyway  :-[.  Being a college student (and a wife for that matter lol) I had to reduce my dosage to 50mg, and it just didn't help much.

I know a lot of people sure do like the stuff...and there is the nice side effect of weight loss!

Sometimes I would stop at a red light and have no clue where I was??? It happened oftenenough that I would not even panic, and figured something would trigger my mental GPS.   But, that was way before trying Topamax. And no sex drive...although mentally I wanted to.. ;)   
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 01:52:26 PM by quietdynamics »
Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea, Livedo reticularis,

"You can't have a positive life with a  negative mind"