Author Topic: Can't get rid of this headache!  (Read 3428 times)

sktaylor

Can't get rid of this headache!
« on: June 05, 2012, 07:18:55 AM »
Good morning friends.
I have had this ongoing headache for weeks. Some days it turns into a full blown migraine, other days just a continuous nagging pain. I can think of no changes or differences in my habits, so what is going on? Is there any link between migraines/headaches and SjS? I have always had headaches, but can't seem to get rid of this one. I know I don't get enough sleep(not for lack of trying), but never get a full nights rest. Pain is the main culprit.
Anyone out there dealing with the same symptoms?

Persephone

Re: Can't get rid of this headache!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 08:08:04 AM »
I have not had a headache for that long.  OMG, you poor thing.  There are 3 reasons I get headaches...1.  hydration.  I am very sensitive to that since I am on the verge of dehydration everyday.  2.  Eating.  I am hypoglycemic and if I don't eat some snack every 1-2hrs, my headache is the first reminder I get.  3.  My kids, husband, aging parents, etc. aka STRESS.   My doctor told me that if I have taken care of these to the best of my ability, and I still have it or it is getting worse, he will get me some migrane meds to take when it is at its worst.  Please call and make an appointment.  I was told that my headache now could be caused by anemia.  There are too many things that could cause a headache.  Not much solace I know, but I hope you will try a few more things and then turn it over to someone who can help you...your doctor. 

Hope you can find relief soon!  Take care, Persephone

MissyLouWho?

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 08:20:33 AM »
Could it be seasonal allergies?  I know when my headaches don't respond to ibuprofen well and it's allergy season, if I take a sinus pressure med (even without taking ibuprofen or tylenol) it will help a lot.  Now instead of taking something for the pain, I take a decongestant for the pressure which in turn takes away the pain.  Like treating the source instead of just the symptom ;)

Jen2

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 11:31:33 AM »
I don't have any great cure, I'm sorry! I have 24/7 headaches too. I am seeing another neurologist in a couple weeks, and getting a spinal tap to check csf pressure. Some of my pain is positional, so its worse when I lean over. Over 2 years!! This pain all the time...it can wear on your soul  :-\

Have you asked your doc about this? Weeks is too long for a headache for sure.

Piebird

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 01:18:33 PM »
I get headaches and migraines.

To keep them away I take proactive medicine, Amitriptyline.

Without this med my headaches are constant and my Fibro is debilitating.

A few summers ago I tried to ween off my med and had a 28 day headache/migraine :(

I feel for you.

Have you tried Zomig? They are expensive but I find relief even if the pain has already taken hold.

xANTHONYx

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 01:49:45 PM »
That sounds like it could be allergy related, the pollen is really falling right now as the weird weather has all of the local flora and fauna rather confused... Lol

I do wonder how Sjogren's Syndrome affects mucus output. Come to think of it I have not had a runny nose since I was diagnosed.

As for relief, as already mentioned hydration goes a long way. Caffeine and aspirin also work well, but only if taken with lots of fluid. If it is an allergy related headache 2-3 Benadryl knocks it out, at least for me. If you are not used to taking it you will be knocked out for a few hours too. That being said sometimes a little sleep goes a long way.

I hope you get better soon

jpd54

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 02:08:47 PM »
Is it a migraine when it is only one one side of your head and the light affects it?   I have never been diagnosed, but I have started having bad headaches in the last three or four months.  Sometimes it feels like my head is going to blow off my shoulders.

jpd
SJS, Fibro, Osteoarthritis, Osteoporosis, GERD, Rosacea, TMJ

Celebrex, Gabapentin, Lasix, Potassium,Hydroxychloroquine, Lexapro, Metoclopram, Nexium, Oracea, Savella, Simvastatin, Vitamin D, Voltaren

jazzlover

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 02:50:00 PM »
Have you tried Imitrex?
Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib, neuropathy, plantar fasciitis

Patty

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 05:37:09 PM »
I am wondering if you should see a doctor. I have read that anyone over age 50 that develops sudden and/or persistent headaches should be checked out. I don't know why that is, but it seems like a good idea!

I hope you feel better soon. I have had headache that lasts for months and it is terrible. It wears one down quickly.
Sjogren's, Vasculitis,  IC, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Raynauds, Peripheral Neuropathy

Piebird

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 07:20:51 PM »
xAnthonyx

I don't ever get a runny nose and I dont drool in my sleep any more lol

sktaylor

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 05:47:05 AM »
I still have a headache!!! I have been diagnosed with migraines. At present I take Zomig because my doctor gave me samples. It usually does the trick, but not this time. I have also taken Imitrex and it is not quite as effective. I tried allergy meds because I too thought that could be the cause, but still no relief. I have had CT's in the past but wonder if it is time for another one. No insurance at the moment, hopefully soon. I have tried several maintenance drugs but either they don't help or the side effects are too extreme.

gurs

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 05:57:12 AM »
Never had migraines until after my hysterectomy and now menopause..nightmare..could be hormonal as well as SS.

My sinus/allergy headaches a bit different..so hard to get rid of. I find taking more steriods and motrin and tylenol every few hours keeps
them in check for bit (usually). Cant take anything else because they dry me out even more (meds).

I think the dryness from the SS can cause them as well. I feel do dry and plugged up all the time.

Gursie
50 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

gardenlover

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 08:18:35 AM »
Something similar happened to me and my Dr. put me on Zomig.  Not sure if it is called the same thing where you live.  It got rid of my headache the same day.  It was awesome!!

Doxie

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 05:12:40 PM »
I have been using the Maxalt melts and they work pretty well for my migraines. The problem is, I seem to end up with small simmering migraines for days . . . With nausea, light and noise sensitivity, and dizziness.

I've used Zomig with success too.

Just last week my doc out my on Topamax as a preventative.  We'll see if it helps,  it didn't keep, it away yesterday . .

Lack of sleep is a trigger for migraines.  It triggers one for me.

Jodi, yes, yours sounds like a migraine too . .
Primary Sjogrens, IC, stenosis, facet and DDD, arthritis in other joints, THR, diabetes, neuropathy, SIBO, hypertension, sleep apnea, and other challenges

Lots of meds and I have two cute dachshunds that provide the best therapy!

rnathans

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 05:20:47 PM »
Is it a migraine when it is only one one side of your head and the light affects it?   I have never been diagnosed, but I have started having bad headaches in the last three or four months.  Sometimes it feels like my head is going to blow off my shoulders.

jpd
One sided and light sensitive is classic migraine.