Author Topic: Angry...upset...need advice on something  (Read 6223 times)

eye2dry

Re: Angry...upset...need advice on something
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 04:58:30 PM »
You are their mother and if your gut feeling is NO to all this...it's your right.

I am a product of farm life, I am 54.

I jumped out of hay mows, had 16 cats (people dumped at our farm) with none immunized, climbed trees with out head gear, rode a horse bareback, damed up our creek to swim (leeches in creek too), shoveled fresh manure, and occasionally slept with a farm dog or two. I had ticks every so often on me, played with snakes and other repitles and swam without telling anyone where I was.
Our farms fields were sprayed by a crop duster..this was in the 70's.

Never broke a bone or had stitches.

But here I am with AI probelms, but not my sisters.

Do what you need to do.

eye2dry

jazzlover

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 06:17:59 PM »

I had tested positive for Lyme; then not enough bands on the Western Blot for treatment; then negative for Lyme?...

-

If you had Lyme specific bands show up, you likely have Lyme. The first test you had was probably the ELISA and it is RARE to even get a positive on that! It's well known for false NEGATIVES.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

jazzlover

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2012, 06:21:06 PM »
Sleepy in Seattle said, "Also educate the kids how important it is!!!! Give 'em super-short crew cuts all summer so you can see their scalps easily - they'll be cooler in the heat, too. Do remember, though - they CAN treat Lyme's - it's not a life sentence."

It IS  a life sentence when testing is SO TERRIBLY FLAWED AND MISSES MORE THAN HALF OF THE CASES and you have doctors unwilling to TREAT it.

It took me 42 yrs to get diagnosed. Lots of damage.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

Sleepy In Seattle

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2012, 06:47:25 PM »
Oh I didn't mean to make light of Lymes - it's awful how much it gets missed. My dad has had it 7 times and also (tick-borne) babesiosis that almost killed him. He lives in a HEAVILY infested area. It's a serious, terrible infection...but it CAN BE TREATED AND CURED, unlike things like Lupus, Sjogren's, MS, etc....that's all I was saying. It's like malaria or hepatitis - it can kill you, but maybe shouldn't necessarily stop you from traveling, or eating seafood, or whatever. It'sa  risk you have to calculate, and take or not take. And if you see symptoms, you have to advocate like crazy for your (or you kids') healthcare.

I didn't mean to diminish at all what it can do to you - it's one of many things that can wreck your life or even kill you.
Sjogren's, Lupus, Raynaud's, APS
Fatigue, Brain Fog, Autoimmune Hearing Loss, joint/muscle pain, dry mouth, clots in retina, etc
GF, "semi-Paleo" diet, Supplements, Plaquenil 400mg/day, Aspirin 325mg/day (for APS), Methotrexate 7mg/2x per week, Prednisone 3.5mg/day

wowthird

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 07:38:55 PM »
I only skimmed the earlier responses but I say go with your gut mama.  If it were me, the ticks and the roundup would be a deal-breaker.  The il's should respect your children enough to PROTECT them from these dangers. 

My siblings and I have some land in TN and lease it out to soybeans.  We REFUSE to let them use GMO seeds.  I have read all the Monsanto stuff and they are EVIL.  We have no long term studies on what these things do to us and our bodies. 

For those that say our children will be exposed regardless?!  Our job is to minimize the dangers out there. 

The only other advice I have is to ask your husband to be the go-between.  In my experience, things go better coming from my husband to his parents than from me. 

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2012, 09:04:12 AM »
Hi  :)

This thread is beginning to upset me.

My son works for Monsanto.

The rules on this site say no religion and no politics and the whole GM argument could very easily turn political so please can we stop it.

The beginning of the thread is fine - a very valid question with valid concerns.

Some of the answers however - and I'm not about to point out which - are misinformed and border on scare-mongering.

This site is about supporting each other with SjS and related conditions.

Thank you - Scottie
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

bep

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2012, 09:38:58 AM »
Express your concern about the ticks and why. Discuss the remedy. I am sure the grandparents will be willing to work with you because they love their grandchildren and want to be with them. Don't penalize the children or grandparents because of your fears. Many people have been exposed, eaten, or drank  things that are now deemed terrible in today's standards. But most people were never affected. Every day they tell you of something else that causes cancer or that is bad for you. A grandparent's love and time spent with them is never bad for a child. Please figure out something that will work out for the sake of your children's happiness. Didn't you have grandparents that you spent time with, that was special?

cargillwitch

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012, 09:47:59 AM »
I actually live on a working family farm of 150 acres and was raised on one as well. They are a wonderful place to explore, run and learn about WHERE real food comes from.

This is a very rare experience for children to have these days .

I also have 6 children. We farm organically but this is rare in our area.We receive a premium for our crops because they are not sprayed or genetically modified
 I am with you, please trust your gut. Bacterial exposure (as someone mentioned earlier) is actually of great benefit for a developing immune system, so have fun in the dirt and creeks!

I would however be concerned with large vehicle safety, supervision constantly is paramount . Perhaps being with your children during visits, timing them to NOT be close to any spraying  and bringing your own cots to sleep on might make it enjoyable and less stressful for you.
I think there is great strength in your dollar. If you don't want this kind of farming to exist- PLEASE vote with your purchase.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 11:49:06 AM by cargillwitch »
47 female, Sjogrens ,Raynauds,degenerative disc disease.Rheumatoid Arthritis, gastroparesis.

jazzlover

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2012, 12:41:12 PM »
Oh I didn't mean to make light of Lymes - it's awful how much it gets missed. My dad has had it 7 times and also (tick-borne) babesiosis that almost killed him. He lives in a HEAVILY infested area. It's a serious, terrible infection...but it CAN BE TREATED AND CURED, unlike things like Lupus, Sjogren's, MS, etc....that's all I was saying.
-
Lyme that goes untreated early on... and sometimes even when treated correctly and early ... IS NOT CURED. It may go in remission, but it is NOT cured. And in chronic cases, it usually leads to MS, RA, Lupus, SJS (why I am here), ALS, and others.

I also had babesia. A nightmare combination.

quietdynamics

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2012, 01:23:14 PM »
With so many of us developing these conditions later in life, genetically predisposed?, triggered?
It makes perfect sense to use this forum as a sounding board of inquiry re:environmental factors.

Our food products are NOT labelled as GMO: the purpose of GMO soy, corn, etc., is to resist Roundup ...no other reason.

Nor are our foods labelled with what chems/drugs; for example, dairy/beef, meat products. Dairies have wanted to label their products "non-rBGH milk", "As of May 2008, Monsanto is currently engaged in a campaign to prohibit dairies which do not inject their cows with artificial bovine growth hormone from advertising this fact on their milk cartons"  Recombinant Bovine Growth Hormone ( rBGH) is banned in Canada, Japan, the European Union, Australia and New Zealand (one slice of american cheese = one glass of milk)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bovine_somatotropin#cite_note-22   

The link shows  stores that sell rBGH free milk.

Scott,   "... misinformed and border on scare-mongering." You have an informed Mom choosing organic for herself and her family. Then a powerful multi-international conglomerate fights labeling....I can only see that as a way to keep consumers dis-informed.  Whatever, whoever the company may be.

Monsanto has a documented history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsanto 
"Phil Angell, Monsanto's director of corporate communications (referring to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration) explained the company's regulatory philosophy to Michael Pollan in 1998: "Monsanto should not have to vouch for the safety of biotech food. Our interest is in selling as much of it as possible. Assuring its safety is FDA's job."[32]

Former Monsanto employees currently hold positions in US government agencies such as the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Supreme Court. These include Clarence Thomas, Michael R. Taylor, Ann Veneman, Linda Fisher, Michael Friedman, William D. Ruckelshaus, and Mickey Kantor.[27] Linda Fisher has been back and forth between positions at Monsanto and the EPA.[27]

Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea, Livedo reticularis,

"You can't have a positive life with a  negative mind"

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2012, 01:43:46 PM »
OK

You gotta do what is right for you.

But right isn't always easy, and the stress between you and your husband and his family is a LOT to deal with.

The kids ARE very young and cannot be outside unsupervised, anyway.

I say, wait a while if that will work out.   No need to jump into this right away, is there?

Saving money?  On day care?

That may be a factor in the discussion, but I don't know.

In the long run there isn't an ultimate right or wrong here, IMHO.  Not that you'll be able to prove to everyone's satisfaction.  Remember your in-laws LIVE in this environment, so it's never gonna seem that bad to them.

Everyone has a point of view, but the key is YOU are the mother and YOU have to be comfortable.

I would try really hard NOT to get caught up in biology and chemistry and Lyme disease and triggering events.

You're not ready, tho' you would certainly visit them with the kids from time to time to see the environment and in short time spans.

You gotta do what you gotta do, lolo, and not everyone is going to be happy about it.

You can't make everyone see your point of view. but you can stick by your own decision.

Keep us posted

Hugs

Elaine

Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2012, 05:04:48 PM »
Quietdynamics

I am not replying in here because as I have already said - this is NOT the forum for it.

People are very welcome to make any life choice they choose  - and discuss it - but this forum is NOT to be used for potentially political debate.
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

prunella

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2012, 06:02:24 PM »
Could this summer be a time for training the boys how to live responsibly at the farm?  Could you spend the night there with them and establish routines, perhaps including the grandparents in the bathing, tick checking, etc.? 

You and the grandparents could work toward letting the kids do overnights when they are a bit older.  Ages 1 and 3 are pretty young; I didn't leave my boys anywhere until they were older. 

Does your pediatrician have a viewpoint that you and your husband could present or refer to? Especially regarding the ticks. When I grew up in the sixties, no one had heard of Lyme disease and I probably don't fear ticks as much as I should.  Could be the same with your inlaws; they just haven't learned to be cautious.

Tough decision!

beth

Age 61; Blood type 0-; Sjogren's Dx 2005, sero-negative; plaquenil, 200-400mg/day; lunesta; vivelle dot; omega3, 4gm/day; CoQ10;  vit D3. Wheat free; dairy free. Homeopathy and acupuncture help enormously.

wowthird

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2012, 06:44:39 PM »
There is a big difference between potentially and actually being political.  I don't see how discussing Monsanto is political at all.  It is a bipartisan issue that you personally have a problem with. 

You may find it offensive because your son works there, but I don't see how that impacts the conversation.  The original poster asked for input on the various consequences of having her kids stay at her in-law farm and crops being nearby could potentially impact her children.

If Monsanto is doing nothing harmful, then really there is nothing to be upset about. 

Quietdynamics

I am not replying in here because as I have already said - this is NOT the forum for it.

People are very welcome to make any life choice they choose  - and discuss it - but this forum is NOT to be used for potentially political debate.

4Kids

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2012, 06:47:48 PM »
There is a big difference between potentially and actually being political.  I don't see how discussing Monsanto is political at all.  It is a bipartisan issue that you personally have a problem with. 

You may find it offensive because your son works there, but I don't see how that impacts the conversation.  The original poster asked for input on the various consequences of having her kids stay at her in-law farm and crops being nearby could potentially impact her children.

If Monsanto is doing nothing harmful, then really there is nothing to be upset about. 

Quietdynamics

I have to agree.
Plaquinel, Restasis, Salagen, Arthrotec, Cod Liver Oil, B Vitamins, Palafer-C, Plaquinel, Metformin, Spironlactone, Biotin