Author Topic: Blood blisters in the mouth now?  (Read 8186 times)

gurs

Blood blisters in the mouth now?
« on: May 16, 2012, 10:56:18 AM »
Im not sure what is going on...in the last few weeks, I keep getting blood blisters in mouth now? I havent changed any of my medications or diet one bit? I was reading where its a vascular thing? weakend blood vessels? all my gums are sore and teeth hurt too-burning mouth? wonder if its  sinus/allergy related? Looks like I have excess tissue around inside my cheeks and lips and think this started when I added more
medrol? wonder if the steriods cause the excess tissue....fat cheeks, etc?

I know we get burning mouth alot, and was surprised to read that this happens with menopause-hormone issues..great!

No sign of infection either.

thanks

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

irish

• Global Moderator
Re: Blood blisters in the mouth now?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 11:17:24 AM »
gursie, I guess if it was me I would get to the doctor and make sure that you get an answer or a referral. Because you are on steroids you can have some issues with the hemmorrhagic spots, but the fact that it is only the mouth makes me wonder if there isn't something more going on.

The mouth and mucus membranes are a very good indicator of possible autoimmune issues. When there is something showing up in the mouth there is always the chance that the same thing can be found in the gastrointestinal tract/urinary tract, etc. wherever other mucus membranes are found.

I think a good review of your autoimmune issues are in order to rule out other vasculitis or granulomatis disease processes. There are a lot of autoimmune diseases that can involve the mouth and also the whole system. Then again it could just be the sjogrens, but knowing the answer would be necessary to make sure the treatment is correct.

Not to scare you or any of us, we can't take vasculitis for granted. Vasculitis or inflammation of the blood vessels can also affect the organs in our body and also our brain. That is why it is so important to keep tract of these vascular leaking in the capillaries/veins. Better to be proactive than to let something simmer until it is too late to treat. Let us know how this comes out. Irish

Skylar

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 11:24:48 AM »
I was just diagnosed this week with a new autoimmune disease - Lichens Planus which has nothing to do with Lichens which grow on trees - but my gums are sore, terribly inflamed  and bleeding all the time, mouth burns and I keep getting painful lesions and a recurrent sore throat. I don't know if this is what you have, but I've seen two dentists and a dermatologist before I finally got it properly diagnosed and hopefully a more effective treatment than the stuff they've thrown at me over this last year of complaining of problems.

I recommend you discuss this with your PCP and rheumatologist and then be seen by your dentist and a dermatologist - and hopefully they will be able to help you. It's very unpleasant walking around with a miserable mouth.

Piebird

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 11:37:58 AM »
I get blood blisters all the time in my mouth, I have for years. They are never a big deal. Get it checked but don't worry too much about it.

I seem to bite my cheeks and lips in my sleep almost every night. Steroids can cause puffy cheeks. I am not on steroids, just chubby.  :0)

gurs

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 12:51:33 PM »
who does a biopsy for vasculitis? what kind of doc I mean?

My rheumy did the ANCA labs, but nothing showed. My derm said I have some lupus vascular stuff on my face though ,and I get little blood clots in my fingers that last a day or two. I know something vascular is going on. I also get some rashes, and also aura migraines all the time.
Ive delt with SS for the 30+ years, and feeling sicker than ever..never had to deal with all this. I would like to get a biopsy to confirm.

thanks to all of you for your imput..really helps

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 01:23:48 PM »
I guess at this stage I would check with your ENT. THere are several vascular autoimmune diseases that ENT docs will do biopsies for.

Also, it is possible that the lupus is active and doing this, but it seems like there should be some more aggressive treatment to be done. Good luck. Irish

gurs

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 04:39:06 PM »
Thanks Irish!

I think I will see my ENT and go from there. I think my SS/lupus just getting out of control. Not sure what Im going to do next.
Maybe Rituxan in lower doses once a week. Ughhh. Not many options. I was just diagnosed with POTS, but I think this is something more
like vasculitis.

Gursie

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 10:38:47 PM »
Gurs, Have you ever been on Imuran or cellcept??? These drugs are given for autoimmune issues also. I know that the "R" is one of the newer drugs that they are using more but sometimes people react better to different drugs. Good luck. Irish

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 11:33:27 PM »
irish if our blood vessels are involved what do they do for that?

susanep
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane, Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventil.

gurs

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 03:41:49 AM »
I have tried Imuran, Cellcept, Arava, methotrexate and one other one I cant remember. I also had several rounds of Rituxan over the last 5 years...The side effects extremely hard with all of them. Imuran I actually felt pretty good on, until I got fungus in my esophagus and had to stop it. Ughhhhhhh..will see the ENT and going to my hematologist next week to get his opinion. He is the one who said he has used Rituxan alot and better results doing it weekly, lower doses. Said it targets B cells better? If I do get it, I think I will also have
some saline infusions done inbetween the infusions to help with my added dryness I seem to get. I think the chemo dehydrates me, making my POTS super bad. Anyways, alot to think about.

thanks

Gursie

anita

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 04:01:44 AM »
I too get the blood blisters in the mouth...every now & then.  They seem to come in spurts, 2-3 at a time.  They always resolve without an issue.  I take blood thinners, so attribute it to this.
52 yr old SjS, APS w/strokes, Autonomic Neuropathy, PN, Nephrogenic DI, (CVID) IgG def., Cushing's, Asthma, Gastroparesis.  Sero-neg w/+ lip biopsy.  Meds: IVIG & pre-meds, Arixtra, Aspirin, Plaquenil, Cardizem, Toprol XL, Domperidone, Nexium, Midodrine, Symbicort, Fentanyl, Percocet, Zofran

sarahjane

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 06:27:51 AM »
yep blood blisters too. It was one of the first things that started happening to me. I showed my rheumy at my first appointment and he was interested but didn't think they were a problem. I understand that they are indicative of AI activity and thats the extend of my knowledge! I hope you get a happy answer
sjogren's syndrome, psoriatic arthritis, fibromyalgia, hashimoto's, erythema nodosum, saphenous nerve neuropathy, myositis, cervical spondylosis ,TMJ, Loinpain Haematuria Syndrome, hepatic cysts
Hydroxychloroquine, MTX, folic acid, Pregabalin,Amitriptyline, Vit. D, co-dydromol,levothyroxine

Ceceraven

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 09:31:11 AM »

Very interesing!  I do get the mouth sores and have chronic candidiasis, which stays at bey as long as I use the ani- fungal cream.  I do bite the insides of my cheeks.  Question?     What is the difference between mouth sores and oral blood blisters ?    Thanks in advance  :).

Be kind to yourselves,   Ceceraven

gurs

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 12:37:37 PM »
I also heard that blood blisters can be some form of a herpes virus?

Gursie

anita

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 02:31:48 PM »
Ceceraven,

Mouth sores are usually, just that...sores--with no particular size, shape, and surface uneven or even bumpy.  Where as blood blisters are perfect round raised blisters filled with blood, so dark red (sometimes almost black).

At least this is my experience/definition.
52 yr old SjS, APS w/strokes, Autonomic Neuropathy, PN, Nephrogenic DI, (CVID) IgG def., Cushing's, Asthma, Gastroparesis.  Sero-neg w/+ lip biopsy.  Meds: IVIG & pre-meds, Arixtra, Aspirin, Plaquenil, Cardizem, Toprol XL, Domperidone, Nexium, Midodrine, Symbicort, Fentanyl, Percocet, Zofran