Author Topic: White part of my eye is swollen like a bump of jelly - ?  (Read 80752 times)

Suzie

White part of my eye is swollen like a bump of jelly - ?
« on: May 14, 2012, 04:10:36 PM »
My eyes were very itchy this evening, so I took an anti-histamine pill. I've had a conjunctivitis-type discharge from both of my eyes for a few days, but no itching till now. I started putting antibiotic eyedrops in today. I've used this type before with no problems.

But suddenly a patch of the white of my left eye is swollen like a bump of jelly, and the eye is very blood-shot. When I gently press and move my lower eyelid to massage eye-gel on it, the bump of jelly moves until it butts against where my iris is and stops and wrinkles up. Freaky. :o

I will of course go to the eye doc in the morning - it's midnight here and I'm freaked out and had to share.

Anyone ever had this?

Suzie
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 04:38:23 PM by Suzie »

Crymeariver

Re: White part of my eye is swollen like a bump of jelly - ?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 05:58:45 PM »
I'd be freaked out too!  I'm sure morning can't come soon enough for you.  Let us know what the doctor says tomorrow.  Hope you can get a good night's sleep.

Suzie

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 11:50:21 PM »
Hey Cry,

Thanks for being there. Woke up this morning and it's gone down completely. Phew! My eye still feels a little swollen and odd, but I looked it up and I'm greatly relieved. It's something called Episcleritis. It is often caused by allergy or a foreign body in the eye and resolves itself with or without steroid drops, sometimes taking a week.

There's a nastier version called Scleritis where the lump is firm, not jellid. That's usually connected with connective tissue disease like Rheumatoid Arthritis or Lupus.

Time for an eye check up anyway. 8)

Suzie

Crymeariver

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 12:08:09 AM »
I'm glad it's better.  I'd never heard of it.    Something else for us to look out for in the future  ::)  If it's not one thing it's another.

eyeamdry

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 12:14:02 AM »
Always better not to guess on eye problems.  Many other things can wait awhile until you check it out.  I just don't mess with my eyes, perhaps because a dr did mess with them and make a mess of them.

Suzie

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 12:43:21 AM »
Yeah, you're right. You only get one set of eyes and you have to take good care of them.

I can't get in to see my eye doc till Thursday, but I spoke to my GP who confirmed that it's probably Episcleritis and not to worry, but if I get any pain or a firm swelling to get myself to the Opthalmology ER ASAP.

Suzie

olmphoto2

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 08:16:12 AM »
"...eye is swollen like a bump of jelly, and the eye is very blood-shot. When I gently press and move my lower eyelid to massage eye-gel on it, the bump of jelly moves until it butts against where my iris is and stops and wrinkles up. "

You bet ya! So descriptive of what I get with flares with bulging up to the iris and the wrinking of the white area.  It does bear watching because you can, secondary to the problem, develop an infection there.  Now that I take steroid drops (one in each eye just three times a week, FML---fluorometholone opththalmic suspension, 0.1%) I get this less frequently and less severely.  And I have antibiotic back up.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 08:18:41 AM by olmphoto2 »
Mary Ann in Wisconsin

"A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that is unlocked and opens inwards as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push." 
          Ludwig Wittgenstein

Skylar

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 08:22:26 AM »
OMG - that's scary. I'm glad that seem to have it under control and are seeing your eye Dr and have been in touch with your GP. I hope it resolves quickly without any lasting scar.

yodeb

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 10:33:44 AM »
I have had this about three times and once caused a Corneal Ulcer which was very serious. Luckily, it was caught quickly and healed with constant care and watching by my Opthamalogist.
He instructed me to use Genteal gel right away and keep my eye closed and even cover with a bandage if necessary and repeat every one to two hours. 
The last one I had I didn't see him, I followed his instructions and it cleared quickly. It is important to keep your eye moist with gel as long as you can.

irish

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 11:40:28 PM »
My oldest son ran through the sweet corn patch when he was about 10 years old. About 5 minutes later he came in with itching eyes. He also had the whites of his eyes swollen up higher than his irises. I had never seen anything like this before---so, we headed to the ER. They had never seen anything like this before either. They gave him meds for apparent allergies and it subsided in several hours.

The thing that hits home with the story of the "whites of the eyes" is that it seems to be an allergic type reaction. Seems is the operative word. The immune system is closely related to the autoimmune issues and any time we have an apparant allergic reaction that is kind of out of the ordinary it behooves us to get some medical advice or opinions.

We just can't always take the chance that things are an "allergy". This eye issue is an example of something that could be a possible autoimmune problem that needs attention. We can't run scared all the time, but we sure need to use our common sense, don't we. Irish ;D

Suzie

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 07:24:23 AM »
Thanks so much for your support, everybody.
My eyes got are fine now - but I came down with a FIVE DAY migraine, and today's the first day I'm out of bed. I still can't read properly and I've got an after-ache that must be what normal people call a headache.

Better start a new topic  ::)

Suzie

Belsey1

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 02:12:16 PM »
I had this same thing happen following a visit to, of all places, my eye doctor.  It happened the next day following a night of red, itchy eyes.  At first I thought it was a film over my eye and kept trying to remove it with a Kleenex.  So glad that was not successful.

I went back to the doctor and they diagnosed it as an infection and told me that was the outer layer of my eye inflamed... forget what they actually called that layer.....to top it off, they charged me for that visit even though I told them I felt sure I had picked it up while in their office the day before.

It was a frightening thing for sure.  I had never seen anything like that.

I am so glad you's has cleared up.
55 year old female, diagnosed with SJS in 2010...Fibro in 1990, sleep apnea with C pap-Restless Leg Syndrome.  Recently added Diabetes and high blood pressure...have anxiety disorder, depression and PTSD.  Chloroquine, Clonazapam, Lexapro, Januvia, Metformin, Losartan, Diclofenac, Gabapentin.