Author Topic: Woke up to an approval of SSD  (Read 4152 times)

mews

Woke up to an approval of SSD
« on: May 09, 2012, 05:49:18 PM »
What a surprise to me when I found out today that I was approved by SSD only after 2 months. I'm not sure how I feel about it though. I was ready for a big fight, had my lawyer and everything. In a way it's kind of frightening to think they only approve you quickly if your really sick, the thought of really having this in my face is really scaring the crap out of me.

My pulmonologist just yesterday told my my diaphragm muscles have gotten 33% worse. I think I need to go on something for anxiety for sure!!

Stay Well my friends.

Skylar

Re: Woke up to an approval of SSD
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 06:04:16 PM »
Well it must be a relief - congratulations.

Cindy

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 06:08:43 PM »
Congrats!! This is one big thing you have less in your mind which equals to less stress.

warmwaters

• Just keep swimming - Dora
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 08:49:47 PM »
Big hug - it's an odd feeling being approved. Relief, and a sense of loss. Sort of a how can they see so easily that I'm not ok when I've been trying so hard to be ok?

It'll get better.  And this will qualify you for medicare, so you'll have some help with medical costs.

Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS, autonomic neuropathy
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, fludrocortisone, gralise, various inhalers

anita

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 04:20:14 AM »
Congrats!!!  So glad the process went smoothly.  Actually they don't only approve 'quickly' those who are really sick.  There are many who are really sick that take years to get approval, if ever.  The ones who get approval quickly, are usually the ones (although legitimately sick), that have their ducks in a row and have all their necessary records, doctor notes, etc.  The attorney helps sometimes, but mostly it comes down to proper documentation/records.  Sounds to me like you did your homework and it saved you lots of time, stress, etc.   Good job!!!

It's sort of an emotional change to really accept this title (disabled), but it also can give you some peace in a strange way.  I can't really explain it, but maybe you'll understand.
52 yr old SjS, APS w/strokes, Autonomic Neuropathy, PN, Nephrogenic DI, (CVID) IgG def., Cushing's, Asthma, Gastroparesis.  Sero-neg w/+ lip biopsy.  Meds: IVIG & pre-meds, Arixtra, Aspirin, Plaquenil, Cardizem, Toprol XL, Domperidone, Nexium, Midodrine, Symbicort, Fentanyl, Percocet, Zofran

mews

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 04:28:13 AM »
Thank you warmwaters, your words were very comforting, you really hit the nail on the head, I can't get over those feelings that they really can see that I'm very ill.

I never even thought about medicare...Thanks for your help.

Thank you Cindy and Skylar..<3

mews

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 04:46:11 AM »
Anita I understand what you are saying all to well, It will take me some time to get used to this title for sure, even though I have been disabled for some time now.

I did have all my ducks in a row this time when I filed and it helped to let my Dr's know that I was going to file, some even asked me if I was going to..LOL. I did hire an Attorney but they didn't have a chance to do anything, and now they are kinda ticked off about it..oh well!

Anita I was hoping to email you a question or two about something you see Dr Birnbaum for, I hope that would be alright. I just need to get the spelling correct first lol.

Stay Well all Mary

anita

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 04:51:52 AM »
Sure  I'll answer what ever I can.
52 yr old SjS, APS w/strokes, Autonomic Neuropathy, PN, Nephrogenic DI, (CVID) IgG def., Cushing's, Asthma, Gastroparesis.  Sero-neg w/+ lip biopsy.  Meds: IVIG & pre-meds, Arixtra, Aspirin, Plaquenil, Cardizem, Toprol XL, Domperidone, Nexium, Midodrine, Symbicort, Fentanyl, Percocet, Zofran

Diane54

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 05:26:46 AM »
Congrats! Tried and denied twice............I guess I should have gotten a lawyer!
Sjogren's diagnosed Dec 20, 2010, Hypothyroid, Diabetes 2, Autoimmune Hepatitis, Mitral Valve  Prolapse, Gerds, Antiphospholipid Syndrome,  Synthroid, Paxil, Prilosec, Evoxac, Plaquenil, Tramadol, Simvistatin, Restasis, Baby Asprin, vitamin D, Januvia, Amlodipine, Gabapentine

gardenlover

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 07:40:24 AM »
I know what you mean by mixed emotions!!  I just got approved this week for Long-Term-Disability.  I was told it usually takes years, but I've only been off since about Christmas.  No lawyer involved, but I would have if needed.  We were in a position where if it hadn't come through we were going to have to sell our home.  So, great relief, but brings this disease out of the denial stage pretty quickly. 

mews

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 11:25:48 AM »
Diane54... I think Anita put it the best...get all your ducks in a row, I didn't leave anything out, no stone unturned, not one speck on that page was left white, I gave them more and more info than they could ever need or want. I told all 15 of my docs I was going for disability one or two didn't care.

I got a Lawyer but didn't need them because I did the work and they saw I was sick on my own merit. You should really get a Lawyer and reapply, you have a certain amount of time.

gardenlover  I'm happy that things are going your way, I hope now that you don't have to worry as much you will feel somewhat better. Thank you for your kind words.

Good luck I hope this helps

stephL

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 02:29:01 PM »
Hi mews, well done, congratz! My claim was being processed and no decision was made for many months. As soon as I signed with a lawyer, I was immediately approved. I think having a lawyer helps.  :D
"Unlike weakness, fatigue can be alleviated by periods of rest." -Wikipedia: Fatigue (medical)

mews

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 04:26:08 PM »
Well done to you also stephL, maybe we scared the begebers out of them...LOL

artsyamerican

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 05:32:20 PM »
Congratulations! I was denied the first time and still waiting response to my appeal.  I know this must be a load of your mind. Congrats!

Belsey1

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 07:10:38 PM »
Good job!  My husband got approved for disability on second try around 15 years ago.  We didn't hire a lawyer, but I put hours and hours of work into making sure the "ducks were in a row".

For all the others....try again, don't give up!