Author Topic: Strange Plaquenil side effect haunting me  (Read 1413 times)

Ark mom

Strange Plaquenil side effect haunting me
« on: May 03, 2012, 01:38:04 PM »
I have been on Plaquenil for about 1 month, and things have been going swimmingly, unless I accidentally take it without food, which causes moderate pain and nausea.  Although I cannot claim to have seen a benefit yet from the drug (my concurrent use of prednisone is helping for sure--you know what I am talking about!), I must say that I have been having intense cravings......for mustard and egg potato salad.  ???????   

Albeit I have occasionally enjoyed the food product at picnics or such, every few years or so, I cannot shake this craving that I keep having every single week.  It is ridiculous and hilarious at the same time that a tiny bit of my brain irrationally jumped to the conclusion that it must be a drug-induced craving, naturally, a side effect from Plaquenil.  Lol, y'all. 

Hope everyone has a little bit of good in this day!  I took my two little girls on a short nature hike today with a friend.  We had little notebooks, in which to tape flowers and leaves and sticks, and they drew things that they saw with colored pencils.  My 2 year old loved playing with the tape, and my four year old drew a map of the entire trail--impressive. 

The sad part of the day was having to tell my sweet, talkative oldest girl on the way home that mommy couldn't talk anymore, that my voice needed a break.  That truly breaks my heart to be experiencing a raspy, weak voice that limits my conversations and activities. 
41 yo with Sjogren's (sero-neg), FMS & sub-clinical Graves; Plaquenil, Evoxac, prednisone, Restasis, Cellcept, gabapentin, duloxetine

quilt4fun

• "When life hands you scraps, make a quilt."
Re: Strange Plaquenil side effect haunting me
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 05:30:05 PM »
  When it's time for mommy to stop talking--use it a a time to listen to the sounds around you--make it part of the adventure.  I've had to do this with my chatty grandson when we are out walking.  Sometimes he amazes me with what he hears.
Age 64. PSS, Gerd, Kidney stones,  dry eyes, dry skin, borderline high cholesterol, osteoporosis. lung scar tissue,  Taking:  Plaquenil, Meloxicam, protonix, potassium citrate, fortical ,calcium+D,  Lovaza , genteel jel and theratears liquid  gel,    medrol and lacriserts