Author Topic: Abdominal Swelling and Right Upper Pain  (Read 8432 times)

Net

Abdominal Swelling and Right Upper Pain
« on: April 28, 2012, 09:25:09 PM »
Been Doctoring, 1st to by O.B. thinking it was Pre-menupause symptoms---Pap normal, exam normal ...said should recheck w/ G.P. if continues  could be IBS or Gallbladder.
Since probably January on/off upper right abdomen pain on/off. Been noticing lots of upper abdomen swelling almost as high under my ribs as when I was pregnant w/ my twins years ago.  Then 2 wks ago had lots of upper right quadrant pain. G.P. did gallbladder ultrasound. All was well but showed a cyst on my liver. Then had a CT scan with contrast of abdomen and pelvis. Three cysts smaller,  but showing benign.
Asked the nurse.... now what colonoscopy? Upper right pain from the cysts? Will have to ask Dr. Nurse called me today, wasn't real helpful.
IBS symptoms? Seems like it doesn't matter what I eat, small meals, crackers...I've always stayed away from milk since it seems like since sjogrens appeared I've become lactose intolerant, but those symtoms usually are just diarrhea and icky feeling and not bloating.
I'll probably call Dr. this week to check what's next if things continue . I seriously can feel my clothes feeling tighter in my upper abdomen, my arthritis seems to be a little endless lately and seem to have some adema too. I go on/off pred for sinus issues through myallergist/immunologist 10mg 3x for 5/ 10mg 2x 5 days/ 10mg 1 x for 5 days but haven't needed to be on it now since early April(almost  a month ago). Could this be my body going off predisone?  Cushings?  Any input would be helpful.   Net
Sjogrens,Chiari 1 malformation, osteoartritis of feet and hands,chronic sinus inflammation

Meds: plaquinel,etodolac,sertraline,restastis,clortimizale troches, pulmicort,predisone(bursts)

Belsey1

Re: Abdominal Swelling and Right Upper Pain
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 11:58:34 AM »
I am sorry I don't  have much input on your problem except I am glad you are being diligent with your doctors trying to determine the problem and not just letting it go.

Keep us posted and hope you get answers soon.
55 year old female, diagnosed with SJS in 2010...Fibro in 1990, sleep apnea with C pap-Restless Leg Syndrome.  Recently added Diabetes and high blood pressure...have anxiety disorder, depression and PTSD.  Chloroquine, Clonazapam, Lexapro, Januvia, Metformin, Losartan, Diclofenac, Gabapentin.

jazzlover

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 01:13:14 PM »
Consider candida/yeast also.
Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib, neuropathy, plantar fasciitis

Ark mom

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 01:16:32 PM »
I am no help but here to offer you support!!!  I hope you feel better soon. 
41 yo with Sjogren's (sero-neg), FMS & sub-clinical Graves; Plaquenil, Evoxac, prednisone, Restasis, Cellcept, gabapentin, duloxetine

Dolly Dimples

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 04:22:09 PM »
  Hi Net, i see you mentioned Arthritis, well I have had upper abdomen problems for years and years , No Doctor ever went  near my ribs, but sent me for colonoscopy, endoscopy of stomach, etc' no results,

This winter I experienced pain

in the upper back between shoulder blades on walking any distance, I thought I had Angina or something .
 New Lady Doc sent me for scan of my upper back, and diagnosed Osteo arthritis  of spine, said it is pretty bad,

I was blown away! My ribs would swell up and I had wind problems.fatigue, coldness,drynss every where, I could go on, point is that I never imagined it was coming from my spine, which is attached to the ribcage.  At least I now know what was causing the prolem...
   Hope you get your problems sorted quicker,  Dolly x

aussie mum

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 06:14:30 PM »
I wish they could just scan us from top to bottom to pick up everything that is going on in just one test.

Last year I was having upper right abdominal pain, gall bladder U/S was clear but an endoscopy showed I have a hiatus hernia and something going on where the stomach joins the intestines (sorry can't remember the name), stomach acid medication and losing some weight has calmed things down.

Please don't give up and also get your Drs to look outside the square like Dolly suggested.

Hope you feel better soon.
Aussie Mum
Daughter - SJS, Lupus, Underactive Thyroid, Wolff Parkinson White Syndrome & Insulin Resistance.

Me - Ankylosing Spondylitis, Total Thyroidectomy, High Blood Pressure, Hiatus Hernia, Dry Eyes & Mouth, Stomach Issues, Enbrel, Thyroxine, Atacand, Pariet, Mtx, Fish Oil, Vit D.

Net

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 09:16:41 PM »
Thanks for all the input....Ended up at Dr. today couldn't sleep like night felt nauseas and dizzy when up and when laying on the couch propped up felt almost panicky in my chest and my arm has been going to sleep the last few nights. So I figured I better check things out. Ended up with an EKG, lots of bloodwork and urine sample. All looks great but basically slept away my day after from pure exhaustion and dizzies slowly went away. Doc thought a virus but take a few days off work to get over things. Today arthritis is better but I did make an appt w/ my Rheumy for next Friday. As I sit here now I dont' feel icky but now my right side is painful and upper abdomen is swellon from basically a small lettuce salad for supper.
I have been taking ranitidine 2x day and acidilophous 2x day too and I stay clear of dairy for the past 2 yrs.
I'll keep in mind the rib thing too/ makes a lot of sense too.
Asked Doc of gallbladder could still be the issue even if no stones and yes it can and if it continues to seem like gallbladder he'd refer me to a gastro/surg. for a certain test.
I'll keep you posted and thanks for any advice or experiences. I hadn't been on our site for about 2 yrs since I'd been plugging along so well.
....net
Sjogrens,Chiari 1 malformation, osteoartritis of feet and hands,chronic sinus inflammation

Meds: plaquinel,etodolac,sertraline,restastis,clortimizale troches, pulmicort,predisone(bursts)

Net

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 04:23:50 PM »
Going for the referral to the General Surg., guess he'll look at my tests etc and decide what tests next. Rough last couple of days. Eating everything nonfat or low as possible, lately just toast, bananas, carrots. Funny how my upper abdomin is still bloated and still right side pain though. Should be a good diet. Can't get in to see him til May 23rd :)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 10:12:01 PM by Net »

Net

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 08:38:31 AM »
Referral is finally today to the general surgeon. Got it moved up last week when I was nauseus amost 75% of the day and had to start ondesitron. Felt better  but then ended up in the ER 2 nights later with severe right side pain. Had to redo a bunch more bloodwork and ctscans with dye but still nothing pointing to rside pain.
Will keep you posted hopefully an answer or two today.--net

Net

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 08:32:53 PM »
Monday I have a hida scan but Doc is pretty much planning on taking the gallbladder out. Really went downhill lately and my arthritis is just awful on top of it. Rheumy wants a Mri to see if there is erosion but probably after surgery for gallbladder. Seeing Rheumy next week for a joint or two injections in my feet. Can't even walk barely the big toe joint is so bad on one and all the bones hurt on the top of my feet and hands. Basically feel awful but am doing some tyl/cod to sleep , last night the percocet I had barley touched the pain.
I'll keep u posted and hope to be well real soon...net

slccom

• Sharon,
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 11:25:54 PM »
I so wish I could make you feel better! My hubby had gall bladder "sludge," which made him pretty miserable. For the sludge they gave him Actigall, which helped for some time, but he sure felt better when the gall bladder was gone for good after surgery.

Hang in there!
Hugs, Sharon
Sharon, 57-YO female, Sjogren's, depression, sicca, ataxia, hard of hearing, neuropathy,  high BP, arthritis, more. Restasis, pilocarpine, Wellbutrin, Lexapro, oxygen, arthrotec, HRT, plaquinel.

Net

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 12:53:25 PM »
I suppose we all feel this way....but I feel like sjogren-ers are such puzzles for our Dr.s  and then we are practically guesswork.  "I'm" guessing that my gallbladder problems are making my arthritis worse but who really knows? Rheumy hasn't come right out and said it. I am 45 1/2 yrs old and kinda a go-getter, been doing good for the past 2 years and working 40 hrs and raising 3 kids but I think I need to be taken off work, I just can't function, at least until the gallbladder part is done and hopefully things subside, so tomorrow I will hit up my Rheumy or Family Doctor. I had the weekend off and  barely functioned beyond a few basic things in the house. When i finally laid down and took some percocet it was such relief to quit hurting so bad. Back to square one today again :(
will keep you all posted....
So I guess I was wondering....when 'us' sjogreners get other medical issues , does it aggrevate our sjogrens or is it just guess work again on our part?....Net

Piebird

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 12:56:36 PM »
Net

I can relate with what you are dealing with.

I find no mater what the ailment or stress it all affects my Sjs :/

irish

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 01:43:11 PM »
Just to let you know that it is not uncommon to have joint pain and other body aches and pains when there is an infection or inflammation in the gallbladder or any other organ. Our body is very fine tuned to all this stuff. We can have a pain in one end of the body that can be attributed, on occasion, to something going on at the other end of our body.Sory of a sympathetic reaction.

Hope you can get that gallbladder out and get to feeling better.Some people with gallbladder problems are able to eat oatmeal and sugar.I love to put hot coffee in my oatmeal to mix it up. Instant of course. Irish

jazzlover

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 01:49:04 PM »
Did you  do a HIDA scan?? hope you feel better soon!
Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib, neuropathy, plantar fasciitis