Author Topic: Sjogrens syndrome and itchy head  (Read 4081 times)

trem221

Sjogrens syndrome and itchy head
« on: April 26, 2012, 02:17:47 PM »
I just wrote something but as I am new I was not sure if it would be seen.  I have had S.S for 3 1/2 years and had to finally go to a university hospital to be diagnosed. I have extremely dry eyes, mouth and now the worst thing has been the worst itchy head I could imagine having (24/7).  The dermatologist has given me 3 pages of prescriptions none of which has helped.  It finally occurred to me that this problem may be Sjogren related.  My rheumatologist said she couldn't do anything for me.  The dermatologist is out of ideas and my internist said if I can't use an anti-histamine he couldn't do anything for me.  What am I to do?  I am at my wits end.  I did try a coal tar shampoo (1%).  Please HELP!!!

eye2dry

Re: Sjogrens syndrome and itchy head
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 02:25:58 PM »
What diagnosis did you get from the dermatologist? Is your scalp flaky and scaly besides the itching?

I don't see any meds listed for you, are you on any, especially new ones? Is your skin itchy as well?

I went through an intense itching spell in Jan 2011 that last till April 2011 of my left side of neck and upper chest. It resolved itself on it's own apparently. I tried benadry spray, solarcaine and hydrocortisone cream and it only helped for an hour for the most part.

eye2dry

Iris

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 02:35:13 PM »
I tried the coal tar shampoo too, all it did was give me a stinky head and it still itched so bad.. I had to get Nizoral to get rid of the itch.. You can get it at Wal-Mart.. I think it's about $14 but a bottle lasts a long time since it lathers up so much you don't need to use a lot..
Sjogren's Syndrome, fibromyalgia, essential tremor, RLS, degenerative disc disease, heart disease -
Lisinopril, Pantoprazole, Ranitidine, Plavix, Diltiazem, Simvastatin, Linzess, Aspirin, pain meds, serum tears, fish oil

anita

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 04:19:42 PM »
If you take any narcotic pain meds, this could be the cause of the itchy head.  Actually, there are other meds that cause itching too.  There are many site to look up side-effects.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 04:22:34 PM by anita »
50 yr old SjS, APS w/strokes, Autonomic Neuropathy, PN, Nephrogenic DI, (PID) IgG def., Cushing's, Asthma, Gastroparesis.  Sero-neg w/+ lip biopsy.  Meds: IVIG & pre-meds, Arixtra, Aspirin, Plaquenil, Nitro, Cardizem, Imdur, Toprol XL, Domperidone, Nexium, Midodrine, Symbicort, Oxycontin, Zofran

lighthouse33

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 04:38:33 PM »
You could try using Neutrogena T/Gel Therapeutic Shampoo (Original Formula.)  On the bottle it says long-lasting relief of itching and flaking.  Controls the symptoms of dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis, psoriasis. 

My hairdresser recommended it to me after I complained to her about my oily hair.  She said it's a shampoo made of sulfur and that it would strip all of the oils from my hair. 
Female
Primary Sjogren's, polyneuropathy, endomitriosis, dietary fructose intolerance
Plaquenil, Lyrica, Tramadal, Omeprazole, Fortical, fish oil, flaxseed oil, benefiber, centrum chewable mulitviitamin, caltrate chewable 600 D+minerals, WSN Nerve Support Formula, Align, Biotene Products

mshistory

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 04:52:25 PM »
Have you started Plaquenil recently? About a month after starting it, I had an intensely itchy scalp that eventually resolved on its own.
SLE and SjS. ANA >1:1280 speckled,
SS-A >8.0, RF positive. Benlysta, Botox for migraines, Clonazepam, Zoloft, Imitrex for migraines, CellCept 1500 mg, Plaquenil 200 mg, Restasis, Zofran for nausea, Gabapentin, Evoxac and Norco for pain.

irish

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 11:01:50 PM »
ARe you taking gabapentin or lyrica? If not you may want to ask for a prescription because some people have found that their chronically itchy scalp is a form of neuropathy.

There is always something weird that happens with sjogrens and neuropathy of the scalp sure qualifies as weird, but it sure could be what is going on.

I get the itchy scalp and, in fact, I just had is yesterday much of the day. My scalp will itch beyound belief and I get beside myself sometimes. I have found that squirting Sea Breeze on my scalp until my hair is pretty wet helps some. I rub it in with the tips of my fingers.

I try to avoid scratching my scalp cause I don't want to get an infection. I have also rubbed the OTC hydrocortisone into my scalp and gotten some relief. Don't know if it is from the med or if it given some relief from the dryness on my scalp. I don't flake but my scalp and hair are so dry.

I hope that you can get some relief---can't imagine it going on 24/7. Good luck. Irish

season

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 11:59:34 PM »
Try putting mineral oil, vitamin e oil, or olive oil on the tips of your fingers and rubbing this into your scalp. Leave it on for a couple of hours and then shampoo. Or you can wet your hair, rub the oil in really well and then shampoo.

I also like VO5 Hairdressing ointment. It really works great on an itchy scalp. 
female 58

primary Sjogrens, hypertension, aching joints, numbness and tingling in legs, dry eyes, nose, mouth; trigemenal neuralgia; irregular heartbeat, gastritis, diverticulosis, hi-hernia

meds: baby asprin, lorazepam as needed,  fish oil, Diovan for BP, Plaquenil, Salagen, Prevecid,

trem221

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 07:43:03 AM »
This is the second response I have tried to post. I am not sure how to put  in my meds as I am new.  I have tried breaking fish oil capsules and putting those on my scalp, olive oil, almond oil, Nizoral shampoo, not blow drying, salicytic acid (6%) all to no avail.  I am on Plaquenil and I am thinking this may be the problem so I may go off of it for a week.  None of my doctors seem to be able to help me. (dermatologist, rheumatologist, internal medicine.)  What am I to do?  Thanks for all of the support. 

eye2dry

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 09:46:12 AM »
Since it takes Plaquenil a few months to be effective (for most folks), I do not know how soon it will be cleared out of your system in order for you to notice a difference.

As I and  mshistory encountered the same itchiness with Plaquenil..and it resolved itself, you may want to try that first and see if it goes away on it's own.

sorry you are going through all this.

eye2dry

soycoffee

• Dry feet :-) Primary SJS
    • For My Tummy -- IBS
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 12:13:50 PM »
I just wrote something but as I am new I was not sure if it would be seen.  I have had S.S for 3 1/2 years and had to finally go to a university hospital to be diagnosed. I have extremely dry eyes, mouth and now the worst thing has been the worst itchy head I could imagine having (24/7).  The dermatologist has given me 3 pages of prescriptions none of which has helped.  It finally occurred to me that this problem may be Sjogren related.  My rheumatologist said she couldn't do anything for me.  The dermatologist is out of ideas and my internist said if I can't use an anti-histamine he couldn't do anything for me.  What am I to do?  I am at my wits end.  I did try a coal tar shampoo (1%).  Please HELP!!!

I recently discovered that my longstanding itchy head was due to exposure UV rays. Remedies are to change CFL bulbs back to incandescent bulbs, wear SPF head covering in areas lighted with fluorescent lights, get a wardrobe of SPF hats. I now use only Johnson & Johnson Baby Shampoo on my hair.

I recently saw a dermatologist who specializes in autoimmune problems, Sjögren's and dermatomyositis. She asked me about sun sensitivity, I mentioned the itchy scalp, and she agreed with the sun sensitivity cause idea, and encouraged me in the prevention strategies I've mentioned above.

Soycoffee

« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 12:20:34 PM by soycoffee »
Primary Sjögren's Syndrome // Gabapentin, Prednisone, Dibencozide, Methyl B12, Adenosyl B12, 5-MTHF Folate, MSM for pain, SAM-e, TMG, zinc, multimineral, D3, Benfotiamine, Melatonin, Spicy Hot V-8 Juice

jazzlover

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 06:22:05 PM »
For me, an itchy scalp means candida/yeast is bad again. Maybe you can ask your dr for some Diflucan... also take a good look at your diet.
Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib, neuropathy, plantar fasciitis

trem221

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 10:51:34 AM »
Thanks for all the feed back on itchy head.  I have tried all kinds of oils, almond oil. olive oil.  The dermatologist has be on an anti fungal medication for one month...have been on it for 2 weeks to no avail.  I will purchase one of the SPf hats and towels.  I have tried Nizolral shampoo..no help.  I have tried Derma-smooth..no help.  I have gone off of Plaquenil for the last three days.  I know it won't show any improvement immediately.  I will try the Neutragena gel shampoo.. Thanks so very much for all the help.  Even my sister said, "you always get the weirdest ailments "which only made me feel worse.

irish

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 11:52:07 PM »
Have you addressed the neuropathy angle with your doc? There was someone on here recently who was told it was neuropathy and responded to the gabapentin. Irish ;D

P.S. Like I said earlier, I get it also and no matter what I do it helps just a little but doesn't cure it. I swear that it has to run its course. I don't get out in the sun much either so that can't be the reason. I have noticed that I seem to have it when the seasons change, but that is really sort of silly. Reminds me of the stomach ulcers getting bad at the change of seasons.

Crymeariver

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 12:23:04 AM »
Tea tree oil products or adding pure tea tree oil to your current products?  I use the pure form directly on all itchy skin problems.  It really does have analgesic properties.