Author Topic: How long before pilocarpine works?  (Read 1716 times)

Ark mom

How long before pilocarpine works?
« on: April 07, 2012, 04:19:25 PM »
I searched the board for info on this drug, but couldn't find a thread that answered my question.  How long was it until you started to see some benefit from pilocarpine?  I am starting at a low dose of 5mg x 3 daily.  The handout says it could take 12 weeks before it starts to work, and I have only been on it 3 days.  I want it to work NOW!  Whaaaaaaaaa!  Thanks for your help.
41 yo with Sjogren's (sero-neg), FMS & sub-clinical Graves; Plaquenil, Evoxac, prednisone, Restasis, Cellcept, gabapentin, duloxetine

Doxie

Re: How long before pilocarpine works?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 04:36:28 PM »
I thought it started working immediately, but I really can't remember.  The doc did have me start with a low dose and gradually increase my dose.  I think i could tell a difference right away. Once I was on a full dose, it seemed to work pretty well. So I think it was only about 3 weeks before I had the benefit of the full dose.

I hope yours kicks in soon! I can't do without mine.
Primary Sjogrens, IC, stenosis, facet and DDD, arthritis in other joints, THR, diabetes, neuropathy, SIBO, hypertension, sleep apnea, and other challenges

Lots of meds and I have two cute dachshunds that provide the best therapy!

olmphoto2

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 05:25:51 PM »
"...effect of pilocarpine on salivary flow was time-related with an onset at 20 minutes and a peak effect at 1 hour with a duration of 3 to 5 hours."
from  http://www.drugs.com/pro/pilocarpine-tablets.html

That is my personal experience with onset of action...no more than 30 minutes. :)

Mary Ann in Wisconsin

"A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that is unlocked and opens inwards as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push." 
          Ludwig Wittgenstein

Ark mom

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 05:32:54 PM »
Well, shoot.  I haven't noticed any increase in salivary production at all.   I still make saliva (~0.1 ml/min), and so the glands work some.  Should I call next week and tell the doc that it isn't working or do I wait the 12 weeks like the drug pamphlet said? 
41 yo with Sjogren's (sero-neg), FMS & sub-clinical Graves; Plaquenil, Evoxac, prednisone, Restasis, Cellcept, gabapentin, duloxetine

olmphoto2

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 06:03:04 PM »
From the same soure:  "The sweat, salivary, lacrimal [tears], gastric, pancreatic, and intestinal glands and the mucous cells of the respiratory tract may be stimulated."  There are lots of benefits to be had here.  Somethimes, regarding an increase in saliva, I seem to have better results with a particular individual dose than another dosing time.  Hang in there!
Mary Ann in Wisconsin

"A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that is unlocked and opens inwards as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push." 
          Ludwig Wittgenstein

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 06:24:14 PM »
Mine works within 30 minutes.

susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, diabetes, asthma, Polycystic ovaries, and Gerd. Meds - Pilocarpine, Synthroid, Effexor, Cpap, aspirin, Prilosec, Neurontin, Xanax, eye Drops, vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Proventil- Retired Teacher/Disabled

Ark mom

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 08:00:18 PM »
Susanep, did it start working right away the first time you took it? 

Nancy60

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 08:19:43 PM »
I think it is similar to Evoxac, and it starts working within 30 minutes.  I would give your doctor a call, maybe he can have you increase your dose.

Nancy

4Kids

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 09:39:35 PM »
It took me about four months to find the relief I was looking for. I had a very severe dry mouth and while it helped a bit in the beginning, I was one of the unlucky few who needed a lot of time.

The good news is it works beautifully now, even though I still need a stimulant with it most of the time.  I also had to bump my amount up to 5mgx6/day.
Plaquinel, Restasis, Salagen, Arthrotec, Cod Liver Oil, B Vitamins, Palafer-C, Plaquinel, Metformin, Spironlactone, Biotin

My blog: http://thenot-so-supermum.blogspot.ca

lynnmarie219

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 02:26:17 PM »
It works immediately for me too....but we are all different and react differently to each medication. I was prescribed evoxac first and it did nothing for me so I switched to pilocarpine (salagen) and have been on it ever since (many years). My rheumy lets me adjust my dosage daily as needed...so I didn't think it needed to be a certain level or dosage to work.

Just my experience and 2 cents...
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane"   Jimmy Buffett

Ark mom

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 10:00:20 PM »
Nope, still nothing today, either.  4kids, what do you mean by needing a stimulant for it to work?  I guess I will not give up on it yet.  I am dying to be able to play tennis and read stories to my kids  without having my mouth get so gummy and dry and my voice weak. 

Also, as some one trained in science, I knew it would be not the smartest idea to start two new medications at the same time because in the event of an unpleasant side effect occurring, I will have no idea which is causing it. 

Sigh, so I am getting a slight headache every day that lasts all day long now.  I don't know if it is the pilocarpine or the Plaquenil (100 x 2).  I never, ever get headaches.  I really dislike taking medications, and I have avoided it for the most part of my whole life.  Now, my medication and supplement list reads like a novella. 

MissyLouWho?

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 10:02:19 PM »
Mine worked with the first pill in exactly 30 minutes.  Had me slobbering and drooling like a teething toddler so bad I stopped it after 3 doses.  Awful nausea and sweats too.

4Kids

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 11:07:48 PM »
I mean I need salagen and something like saliva sure, a mint, gum of something to keep it stimulated and still producing. As well as I feel it works for me, it works much better chewing or sucking on something. So I do all day. And go to sleep with sonething as well.
Plaquinel, Restasis, Salagen, Arthrotec, Cod Liver Oil, B Vitamins, Palafer-C, Plaquinel, Metformin, Spironlactone, Biotin

My blog: http://thenot-so-supermum.blogspot.ca