Author Topic: what teeth problems are sjogren's related?  (Read 2636 times)

rudytudy

• Virginia
what teeth problems are sjogren's related?
« on: April 07, 2012, 10:23:48 AM »
My teeth each have a pit or indentation in the enamel at the gum line. 
It's on every tooth.
My dentist thought it may be me grinding my teeth.
But I never thought I did grind them.
Now with the SS diagnosis and dry mouth could it be tooth decay?
When I see my dentist again in June I'll ask him.

Anyone have problems just at the gum line???
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 05:20:27 PM by rudytudy »
female, 54
Primary SJS, fibromyalgia, arthritis
SS-A >8.0    SS-B  1.4     ANA positive
punctal eye plugs
no presc. meds

Dolly Dimples

Re: what teeth problems are SSJ related?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 11:44:51 AM »
Hi,    It is well known that SS can damage our teeth big time.  If it is just at the gum line it could be a start to problems.
    On the other hand it may well be that your teeth need a scrape and polish, but your Dentist is the best one to diagnose exactly if it is a big problem or not.  Cant you get in to see him sooner, as it seems to be worrying you ,
            Good luck, Dolly

Sooki

Re: what teeth problems are SSJ related?
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 12:03:24 PM »
Those old gumline cavities are practically diagnostic for Sjogrens.  My dentist was the first one to mention possible sjogrens to me.  Saliva has protective enzymes in it which help protect the enamel on our teeth.  And especially the saliva that comes from the inner cheek saliva glands.

Here's what I do (it's from JoAnnRDH):  I get my teeth cleaned every 6 months.  I use an electric toothbrush (she recommended Sonicare FlexCare), waterpik, and floss.  I use the PBF version of Biotene toothpaste and mouthwash (the latter often throughout the day and night).  I also had the dentist make some of those tooth-whitening trays which I fill with either Prevident (Rx F toothpaste, yucky tasting) or MI Paste (a remineralizing paste) and soak my teeth in it for about 1/2 hour each week.

It finally paid off.  My last visit was squeaky clean.

It's a lot of work and expensive, but not nearly as expensive as repeated fillings followed by extractions.

I think the fluoride and remineralizing pastes could help your teeth, maybe even reverse some of the damage?  It's good to get on it quickly.  Teeth are pretty vulnerable in Sjs.
65 yo, Sjogren's, Lupus, Hashimoto's, fatigue, MGUS, peripheral neuropathy,
Plaquenil, CellCept, Synthroid,
D3, Ca/Mg, fish oil, ALA, DHEA, biotin, B-12, always GF, DF, S(oy)F, currently Paleo Autoimmune diet

Sadie963

Re: what teeth problems are sjogren's related?
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 12:49:57 PM »
I guess everyone has different degrees of how bad Sjogren's Syndrome affects their system.

My teeth have been affected pretty bad. I was diagnosed over 10 yrs ago. I had to start seeing my dentist every 3mos and sometimes he would find 3-5 cavities in the next visit even though I was brushing and flossing like crazy.

Today I still have a lot of pain and major issues with my teeth mostly gumline cavities, toothaches, receding gumline, and teeth crumbling to pieces. 

I recently found new dentist I really like and we'll see how it goes. The new dentist had a sjogren's patient that was able to keep all of their upper teeth their whole life.

I know I will not be as fortunate as they were but its nice to have a dentist that listens and understands. She knows there is no "happy ending" for my teeth issues but we will do the best we can in maintaining what I do have.

gurs

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 01:07:35 PM »
I spent my entire retirement fund on my teeth, and they are causing more problems than ever since I went into instant menopause 6 years ago...I was just reading on-line about the dentist's top picks for toothpaste, and was surprised what I found out.
They recommended Colgate total(there are several of these-you have to read the back) so I went to Walmart and started reading the back of the labels on all the brands. I found this basic Colgate total has a antiginivistis in it, and most of them did not..it also has anticavity. So, I bought some and it was very nice and mild..mint. Did not burn my mouth either.You really have to read the ingredients. I was shocked...I heard the whitening ones were not good to use, which I dont,...they also recommended Sensodyne Pro-enamel.

I must use 10 rinses daily and floss 2 times a day too...doesnt help me either, but I guess if I didnt do that, would prob be alot worse?

Gursie
50 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

Pisces24

• Hashimotos, Reynards, SJS 03/09; Lymphoma 4/12
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 03:20:20 PM »
Dry gums and especially dry mouth.  Suddenly one year you have more cavities than you normally do.

Up until about 10 yrs ago (I am 54) I had 5 cavities total.  Now I get 2-4 per year and I do everything except not eat for food doesn't touch em. Biotine, prescription toothpaste, floss, mouth wash, etc etc.

Hope I helped!

Patze

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 04:04:54 PM »
Hi Rudytudy,

Oh yes, have had my mouth rebuilt twice so far and just had some more work done on them, and there is no end in sight, ugh.  ::)

I've had cavities at and below the gum lines for years and the dentists had not known what was causing them (the gums are tight against the teeth so getting these cavities didn't make sense).  Thankfully the dentist I have now is becoming more fluent in it and is starting to head them off at the pass - so to speak :) (still have several front teeth that are cracked, and the dentist has "bonded" them so there is less of a chance of breaking; I sure hope that it holds for several years).

I see the dentist every 3-4 months and I sure understand the costs and the sheer frustration of it all.  Is your dentist fluent in SJS complications of the mouth?

Hang in there, okay?

Take care of yourself -

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

irish

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 10:38:19 PM »
I have lost all my teeth and am so happy to be rid of them. I have had problems with my teeth off and on for years and then in the 1980's they just started falling apart and ended up getting teeth pulled many times plus had many, many root canals and abscesses.

People with autoimmune disease are at higher risk for infections with their dental issues. I fought with dentists and argued for years. They all wanted to save all my teeth and finance their kids college education.

I finally found a different dentist who worked with me and slowly started pulling them. He also assessed each tooth on my first visit and all my teeth had pain from from 4-8 on the pain scale. He found this rather disconcerting and unusual. Getting my teeth pulled was the best thing I ever did. No more infections and no more teeth falling apart when I ate a marshmellow. Irish ;D

Madison Granny

• Keep on fighting and stay strong!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 03:44:50 PM »
I used to have lots of saliva and hardly any cavities.  When I developed SJS I lost most of my saliva and started having lots and lots of root cavities.  Now I have lots of crowns from acid erosion.  I use a sonicare toothbrush and waterpik very soon after I eat or drink anything.  I also use Prevident and MI Paste each night after rinsing with Biotene rinse.  I use Biotent toothpaste.  It really is helping because I have had a cavity in 3 years.  My dentist's says my teeth are just melting away.  In ways I can't wait to get everything crowned especially in the front.
Primary SJS, dRTA, Osteroporis, OAB, stage 3 kidney disease, hypothyroid and high blood pressure.  Medicine I take are plaquenil, bicarb, prolia, synthroid, toprol and amolipine, citracal and vitamin D.  I use Arex and Azasite and Prolia.  I also have Reynaud's and osteoarthris of the toes

Navigator

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 04:35:32 PM »
I have only been diagnosed for three years now and my teeth are just falling apart.  I now have prescription Colgate toothpaste, a sonicare brush and I brush and floss and soft pick between gums...and still have three crowns coming....AHHHH....it is an expensive undertaking.   I am hoping for a salagen prescription ...because I now I get really dry at night.

I get erosion of the enamel on the edges ...my dentist tried to bond the edges of my lower teeth but ...it is coming back.  I am just de enameling with this.

I am only 57 and my hearing is going, my teeth are starting to fall apart, I have a hard time sleeping thru the night, my eyes are actually feeling better now that I am on restatsis, I am losing hair...but I must say I am blessed that the neuropathy, joint pain and muscle pain is gone or very sporadic so...yes I am actually lucky.

Hashimotos, Primary SJS, Celiac
Synthroid, Plaquenil, Crestor, Evoxac, Meloxicam (if needed), Prednizone (if needed),Vit D, Fish Oil, Restasis

Patze

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 08:22:46 PM »
Oh my Navigator, are we related by chance???  ;) :)

I sure do understand the helpless feeling of ones teeth falling apart along with hearing loss (I'm a bit younger than you, but I already have hearing aids and a mouth full of problems :().

I have seven caps and the caps are starting to come out as well; thankfully they can still be reattached, for now.

Has the doctor prescribed anything for the sleeping problem? 

( ( H U G S ) ) lady and I'll keep the fingers that you get some much needed sleep soon....

Take care now -

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

mshistory

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 08:53:28 PM »
I try to avoid the teeth threads, because I have had this paranoid fear for as long as I can remember of losing teeth...even have recurring nightmares about it, so this Sjogren's diagnosis really threw that panic into overdrive. I've had many cavities, and I do have the decalcified areas around the gumline on quite a few teeth. Since my diagnosis last year, I switched to Biotene toothpaste and use the Act Dry Mouth Rinse twice daily, and I've also started flossing regularly. I will have to remember to ask my dentist if there's anything else I could be doing to protect my teeth. I'm only 33!
SLE and SjS with PN. ANA >1:1280 speckled,
SS-A >8.0, RF positive. Botox for migraines, Clonazepam, Zoloft, Imitrex for migraines, CellCept 1000 mg, Plaquenil 200 mg, Restasis, Zofran for nausea, Gabapentin, Evoxac and Norco for pain.