Author Topic: Cold w congestion  (Read 1385 times)

4Kids

Cold w congestion
« on: March 14, 2012, 07:25:11 AM »
My family all have the same cold, we are all congested like crazy. Me, I do have mucous that comes out, it is clear and thin and perfect. I just can't get much out--and no one else can, either. Yes humifidiers, yes saline up the nose, but I am terrified to take normal cold meds.

Is Gufaisien sp? something that you have to have prescribed? Is there anything else I could get with that in it? Do I have to be wary of other ingredients?

My Sjogren's is very mild at the moment. Even with this horrible congestion which is stopping me from nose breathing (hard to sleep) I am feeling mostly fine. So I don't want to complain, I just need to be able to get some air through my sinuses. 

I have had it for 2 days, maybe 3, which means I have 2 left to go if I am the same as the other family members.
Plaquinel, Restasis, Salagen, Arthrotec, Cod Liver Oil, B Vitamins, Palafer-C, Plaquinel, Metformin, Spironlactone, Biotin

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
Re: Cold w congestion
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 10:40:32 AM »
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

MissyLouWho?

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 11:36:35 AM »
I think you're talking about the active ingredient in mucinex guifenaisen (sp)?  If so, it works GREAT (I always get the knock off brands, and they are OTC) but is so incredibly drying I'd get awful cotton mouth.  If you can stand it, I'd try it.  I think it's a trade off thing, one symptom for another  ::), but you only need it a few days.  Maybe just take one pill instead of 2?

Hot drinks will help to loosen the congestion, too.  Like hot lemonade or apple juice for the kids.  Mine like cinnamon added to their apple juice.  Hot chicken soup in big mugs, a couple of movies and everyone snuggled on the couch with pillows works for us  ;)

Joe~ if these are isochronic tones, they DO work.  I used to use them for all sorts of things, with the adrenalin rush being the most effective for me.  So effective it was like I took ripped fuel (a metabolic enhancer I used to use before working out for energy). I download them into my mp3 player so you get the right tones in the right ears at the right time.

Hope you all feel better soon!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 11:40:52 AM by MissyLouWho? »

Sleepy In Seattle

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 02:55:11 PM »
I have been sick almost every month all winter - it's been horrible!!!! Usually I only get sick once a year, maybe twice - I don't know if the Plaquenil is responsible or what.

ANYWAY, I really like Theraflu (Severe flu and congestion formula). And Mucinex is a GODSEND....totally awesome stuff...but you need to drink a LOT of water with it. I used to get bronchitis for about a month after EVERY SINGLE COLD I ever got - but since I have been using Mucinex (3 years now) I have not had that problem at all. It really helps my body get rid of stuff. I don't find it drying, either - but maybe that's because I go so overboard on the liquids.

I do get dry mouth a lot from the Sjogren's - though that's easing off with Plaquenil. But if I take decongestants, it's awful...so I use Xylimelts when I sleep - they help a lot.

If you go to Drugs.com, they have this nifty thing called "Drug Interaction Checker" where they will track your medications for you. You have to put up with some email spam, but my spam filter gets rid of it anyway, so it's not a nuisance. You create a profile and type in all your meds, and it will tell you if there are any dangerous interactions. They have all the OTC stuff in their database, too, so you can check those. I have found it very, very useful.

I hope that helps, and I am really sorry you & your family are sick!!!!
Sjogren's, Lupus, Raynaud's, APS
Fatigue, Brain Fog, Autoimmune Hearing Loss, joint/muscle pain, dry mouth, clots in retina, etc
GF, "semi-Paleo" diet, Supplements, Plaquenil 400mg/day, Aspirin 325mg/day (for APS), Methotrexate 7mg/2x per week, Prednisone 3.5mg/day