Author Topic: Awful pain in tongue and back of throat  (Read 6699 times)

viking007

Awful pain in tongue and back of throat
« on: March 10, 2012, 02:23:49 PM »
Since my hysterectomy in Nov, I have had horrible pain on the left side of my tongue and back of throat/soft palate. It makes it difficult to talk, chew, and swallow. It hurts off and on and is worse the dryer my mouth is. Some call this "burning mouth syndrome", but that is so vague. WTH is it, and why do we have it?? I am not getting enough calories in because it hurts to eat. :( Also, the burning changes my tastebuds. I know that I have yeast as well, and am taking Nystatin for it. My parotid glands are also very swollen, and have been for a week. The entire underneath of my chin hurts too, and I suspect that is from swollen glands. I have this gaggy feeling I can't get rid of.

Can anyone commiserate? Any suggestions on how to end this misery? My appointment with the rheumatologist on Tuesday can't come soon enough!

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and words of advice. They are much appreciated!

jazzlover

Re: Awful pain in tongue and back of throat
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 03:13:36 PM »
I do have that, but not nearly as bad as what you have!! I also battle yeast constantly. Are you using liquid, pill, or powdered Nystatin??
Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib, neuropathy, plantar fasciitis

viking007

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 04:18:38 PM »
I was doing liquid Nystatin but now I have the lozenges. It's helping slowly, but man, this is painful.

Ceceraven

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 10:05:06 PM »
       I think I have experieced that same pain in the back of my tongue. Every 3 mos I see my oral Md. I told her I had a pain in the back of my tongue. It felt that it was on the side of my tongue in the back where the tongue inserts @ the soft palate. She massaged the site and expressed a small stone (that was a first)  then suctioned until the secretions were clear. She told me if I feel this pain again (and I have) to press the site and massage. I try to be diligent, because she said that if the stone gets too large surgery would be needed. That scarse the s-i- out of me. She also said it is a difficult surgery.  I see Dr Athena Pappas at Tufts in Boston. She is an oral surgeon who specializes in SjS. I hope you get this checked in the mean time try massaging. So sorry you have to experience this s-i-.            Be good to yourself,    Ceceraven

irish

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 11:30:01 PM »
I would advise you to call and talk to your doctors nurse and ask her if you should be seen by him or if you need to see ENT. When we have surgery we are intubated and it is possible that you could have an infection in the back of your throat. Sometimes there is brusing that takes place when they put the tube in and there is always a chance that you could have an infection in that area.

Also, having surgery is a stressor on our body and you know what stress does to us. It sets us up for a good flare. Are you drinking enough fluids, putting heat on the affected glands and then doing gentle massage to the glands. Massage helps move the mucus through the salivary ducts which helps in preventing infection in the glands.

I think that you should check on this cause surgery can set a sjoggie up for strange things. Good luck. Keep us posted on how you are getting along. Irish

viking007

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 06:23:18 PM »
I have an appt with the rheumatologist on Tuesday and have a call into my ENT. Hopefully he can see me early this week.

Do you guys massage the outside of the gland, on the side of the face? I am not sure how a stone is expressed; do you massage inside your mouth somehow? My husband looked and he can actually see a very swollen gland under the left side of my tongue. Owie. :(

irish

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 11:29:48 PM »
I usually massage the glands on the outside of the face. This means on the sides of the face in front of and below the ears along the jaw line and under the sides of the face and also under the chin.

I havae had problems with the back of my tongue or more appropriately the base of my tongue. I wash my hands good and then place my middle finger of either hand inside my mouth on the floor of the mouth and the other fingers on the outside. Sort of like rubbing your fingers together with the tissue between them. Massage gently though and drink plenty of fluids.

Sometimes you can see the little grey stones in those ducts under the tongue. Also, I can taste the grit in my mouth which is the "sand" or the small stuff before it forms the stones. I always think that it feels like I am chewing on fiberglass.

Sometimes you end up needing a gland removed. I had one removed a couple of years ago. Good luck. Irish ;D

Piebird

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 01:00:17 AM »
Because you just had surgery, I would think that is the cause of your pain. Did they put tubes down your throat? and this is now causing an infection? You she probably get it checked out.

I get the tonsil stones too. They are painful but everything feels way better once I have popped them out. There is lots of information to be found online about them.

Good Luck