Author Topic: Itchy scalp  (Read 1961 times)

JudyCoppernob

Itchy scalp
« on: March 08, 2012, 05:42:35 AM »
Next issue arising from yesterday's consultation: itchy scalp.

Is this common with Sjogren's?  I've had it mildly for ages.  It's getting worse and really bugs me at times.  If it keeps up I'll end up looking like I've got nits!

Doc just shrugged yesterday and asked if I (a) had dandruff, or (b) had changed shampoo (duh!)  A: no and no.

Seems to me that dry skin on the scalp as a result of Sjogren's could very well explain itchy scalp!

Do others have this?  And if so are there any good products out there to combat it (available in UK).  Thanks, Judy

mshistory

Re: Itchy scalp
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 06:24:27 AM »
A couple of months after starting Plaquenil, my scalp started itching HORRIBLY. Nothing helped - antihistamines only helped me sleep through it  :) It lasted about a week, and then went away. How long have you been on Plaquenil? Or is this a problem that started long before you were on any meds?
SLE and SjS. ANA >1:1280 speckled,
SS-A >8.0, RF positive. Benlysta, Botox for migraines, Clonazepam, Zoloft, Imitrex for migraines, CellCept 1500 mg, Plaquenil 200 mg, Restasis, Zofran for nausea, Gabapentin, Evoxac and Norco for pain.

lea78

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 07:54:09 AM »
I have had itch scalp for years and years, way before sjogrens comes along. I have no idea why but every few weeks it happens and I will then have to try a special shampoo for a bit.

Leanne

vacumme83

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 09:01:25 AM »
I get this all the time. It was first diagnosed as eczema. I find that I need to be very particular when choosing hair products. I cannot use styling products of any kind that touch my scalp. I can use only shampoo for dry and sensitive scalp. I do not have any problems with normal conditioner.

It's a hassle, but if I use the right shampoo and wash my hair only every other or third day I keep the issue pretty much under control. Washing too often can make the dryness worse.

Skylar

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 09:31:16 AM »
I suspect if you asked 100 people if they ever had itchy scalp, you'd get 99 of them answering yes. There are so many reasons for itchy scalp.

I have very sensitive skin and avoid all products with irritating ingredients, perfumes, scents etc. - I use Paula's Choice products which I buy online from her website cosmeticscop.com. In her beautitopia section she rates other companies products so if you look up that list you'll find sensitive skin products that are for sale in most stores - like Cetaphil for example.

Could be dryness in which case you can add moisture back immediately after showering. Or

Or it could be a skin condition - if it continues to bother you and home remedies don't work - see a dermatologist and get it checked out. I've had several skin lesions that were excessively itchy - including some on my scalp that were cleared up with medication. Like Vacumme83 I have eczema and shower/shampoo every three days unless I've been mud wrestling (bad joke, I have no idea how to wrestle and I hate to get dirty) based on advice from my dermatologist.

Hope you get it resolved.

Madison Granny

• Keep on fighting and stay strong!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 09:48:53 AM »
I have itch scalp.  I use Head and Shoulders for dry itchy scalp.  I wash my hair every other day and that seems to help.  I have to limit the use of styling products.  If styling products get on my scalp it makes it itch more.  I have one extremely bad place on my scalp.  It seems my scalp is dry and my hair itself is still somewhat oily.  I think SJS has contributed to this a lot as I had extra oily scalp and hair before SJS.
Primary SJS, dRTA, Osteroporis, OAB, stage 3 kidney disease, hypothyroid and high blood pressure.  Medicine I take are plaquenil, bicarb, prolia, synthroid, toprol and amolipine, citracal and vitamin D.  I use Arex and Azasite and Prolia.  I also have Reynaud's and osteoarthris of the toes

Duchess

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 10:17:03 AM »
Hi,

I have itchy scalp.I have "flares", if you will. Don't know what it is related to though.

At times, I believe that I have a yeast infection and it appears on my scalp, skin under the breast, under nails, etc.

At various times different things work. Scalpicin lotion is very good for soothing the scalp. Sometimes I use Apple Cider Vinegar straight or diluted in a little water. Raw, virgin, organic coconut oil helps also.

Duchess
58 y/o, Sjogren's, Lupus, Raynaud's, Mitral Valve Repair, Asthma, Myofascial Pain. Plaquenil, Inhalers, Ibuprofen,Exovac, Vitamin D, Vitamin B-12, Omega 3, Eye Drops, Quinipril, Massage therapy.

Autoimmunity

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 07:43:50 PM »
Hi,

I have itchy scalp.I have "flares", if you will. Don't know what it is related to though.

At times, I believe that I have a yeast infection and it appears on my scalp, skin under the breast, under nails, etc.

At various times different things work. Scalpicin lotion is very good for soothing the scalp. Sometimes I use Apple Cider Vinegar straight or diluted in a little water. Raw, virgin, organic coconut oil helps also.

Duchess

Hi Duchess,
I am having a horrible problem with an extremely dry scalp and for the first time in my life dandruff :(  AWFUL.  I have tried dandruff shampoos as well as the apple cider vinegar (gross!).  Nothing is working!  How are you using the coconut oil?  Applying it to your scalp?  Letting it sit or washing off right away?  Does it make your hair oily.
I cannot even go get a haircut, I am mortified!

jazzlover

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 08:08:19 PM »
Every once in awhile I use a dandruff shampoo and it seems to help.

For me, it is related to candida/yeast ... since dandruff is an fungal problem, I would say it 's all connected.
Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib, neuropathy, plantar fasciitis

MissyLouWho?

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 08:14:22 PM »
I do, but just over the winter so I assume it's just dandruff.  It's more flaky than itchy.  I'll scratch because my OCD knows it's there  ::).  The head and shoulders isn't doing anything though...and I've been using it for 6 months.

irish

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 11:33:24 PM »
I have had this periodically over the years and have never gone to the doctor for it or even asked.I know it isn't from oily scalp as I have very dry hair and scalp now due to both age and sjogrens.

I will tell you some of the things I have done for it that help off and on. Seems like have to change from one treatment to another. I also wonder if some of it is a neurological thing. Sort of like it itches so you scratch and then it itches more. I wonder if the nerve endings are super sensitive at times.

I have doused my whole head in hair conditioner and wrapped a big towel around my head for several hours. This helped to lubricate my scalp and hair and seemed to settle things down.

I have used a lot of a product called Sea Breeze. This has been on the market for years and is found in the hair products/shampoo department of stores. Not all stores care it though. It has gotten spendy so if you find it, use it and find that it helps you might want to find a cheaper source.

I would suggest asking your hairdresser if she would order it for you. Years ago my MIL(a beautician) ordered a gallon for me and I am still using it. It stings when you apply it but it feels so good. It has several different products in it that are good for killing scalp stuff off.

Then when I am at the end of my rope with the itching I have applied the 1% OTC  Hydrocortizone cream to my scalp. Sometimes I have had to rub the cream in all over the back of the head. I will really itch around the bottom of my hair line.

When I scratch I don't use my fingernails, I use the ends of my fingers cause you can rub really hard without the danger of causing open wounds on your scalp.

Another thing that you can try is to take a bowl with a couple of teaspoons of baking soda, add some water and make a semi thin/thick paste. Make it so you can take a cotton ball and dip it in the soda solution and then spread it on your scalp. This is also an old fashioned remedy for mosquito bites.

Sometimes if there is no rash, crust or drainage involved it seems like it doesn't matter what you do, just do something and it will help. Good luck all. Irish ;D

season

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 11:40:20 PM »
Warm some olive oil or mineral oil and dab it on small itchy areas. If it is a large portion of your scalp, generously use the warm oil over your scalp and leave it for 30 minutes and then shampoo. this really helps to relieve the itching.

irish

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 01:36:08 AM »
season, I had forgotten about the warm oil treatments. When I was a kid my mom bought cocoa butter in what looked like a candy bar form. You cut off a piece and melted it and then took a cotton ball and dabbed it on your scalp.

I have always wondered how much of that oil you would have to use to plug the sink drain. ??? ???Irish

mshistory

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 06:07:41 AM »
Hi Duchess,
I am having a horrible problem with an extremely dry scalp and for the first time in my life dandruff   AWFUL.  I have tried dandruff shampoos as well as the apple cider vinegar (gross!).  Nothing is working!  How are you using the coconut oil?  Applying it to your scalp?  Letting it sit or washing off right away?  Does it make your hair oily.
I cannot even go get a haircut, I am mortified!

I know Nizoral is hard to find right now, but your doctor may be able to prescribe the prescription strength for you or you can get a Rx for a few pills of ketoconazole (the active ingredient in Nizoral) to kill the fungal infection. I've heard that it's a much more potent anti-fungal and might treat your seborrheic dermatitis better than Head and Shoulders or Selsun Blue. HTH!
SLE and SjS. ANA >1:1280 speckled,
SS-A >8.0, RF positive. Benlysta, Botox for migraines, Clonazepam, Zoloft, Imitrex for migraines, CellCept 1500 mg, Plaquenil 200 mg, Restasis, Zofran for nausea, Gabapentin, Evoxac and Norco for pain.

Duchess

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 06:02:27 PM »
Some people like to use the coconut oil as a hot oil treatment. Warm the oil, apply it to the hair and scalp, put a plastic cap on or wrap the head in a warm towel. Then after 15-30 minutes shampoo.

I, however, usually just apply a small amount to the dry areas and a little on my hair and leave it on. My hair doesn't feel greasy or gooky.

Olive and sunflower oils are good too.
58 y/o, Sjogren's, Lupus, Raynaud's, Mitral Valve Repair, Asthma, Myofascial Pain. Plaquenil, Inhalers, Ibuprofen,Exovac, Vitamin D, Vitamin B-12, Omega 3, Eye Drops, Quinipril, Massage therapy.