Author Topic: nose bleed  (Read 1107 times)

Luna

nose bleed
« on: March 06, 2012, 09:42:56 AM »
I have always had sinus trouble and would have blood in my mucus at times. But never a full blown nose bleed. and the blood in sinuses would go away rather quickly. For the past two weeks , I have had constantly had blood in tissue when I blow my nose. Red red blood. And at least once a day, every day I have had a real nose bleed. I constantly taste blood in my throat. The air here this winter has not been very dry. I live in the south and it has been a warmer winter with more humidity.. So I started to think maybe its the Naproxen. That is the only thing different. And I have been taking it sinse early february. I called my Doctor and got a messager saying they are busy and dont call back. So I thought I would come in here and ask what you guys think? I will still keep trying to get the doctor to answer me, or call my GP if need. Im just feeling a bit anxious right now and wanted to know if you guys have any insight to what this could be.

Luna
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 09:47:25 AM by Luna »

A66eyroad

• Be kind to yourself today!
Re: nose bleed
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 10:22:02 AM »
Here at work (never at home) I'll feel a bit of liquid dripping sometimes and snag a tissue out of my desk drawer to do a little wipe when >GAK!< What the heck!

This office hardly ever gets dusted and we need our carpet cleaned something awful! I'm allergic to house dust, so I chalked it up to the dry air and dust.

I take lots of neproxin, also --- I don't think it's the culprit, though. I don't think it's a blood thinner like aspirin is.

Anyone else?
Female, 60
Sjogrens and subacute cutaneous lupus. Flu-like symptoms, mouth ulcers, itchy rash, high cholesterol, headache, earache, tinnitis, dizziness. Hangover-like nausea, especially in the a.m.
Plaquenil, Atabrine, DHEA, Aleve, Evoxac, Allegra/Benedryl, Mary's Magic Mouthwash, carafate.

susan

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 12:55:42 PM »

I think that it can cause the blood to have decreased ability to clot by its affect on the platelets. Maybe decrease the amount of naproxen that you take until you can talk to the doctor?
Sometimes I use an nsaid, too-----usually ibuprofen, and I find that if I take it regularly, I bruise more easily.
Sjogrens, Stills disease, Acromegaly, Interstitial cystitis

Plaquenil, Prednisone, Octreotide injectable, Crestor, Xanax

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 07:42:49 PM »
Hi  :)

I was told I could no longer take NSAIDs because of unexplained bruising.

I now have to take Tramadol and paracetamol and I don't find them as effective as NSAIDS although things are better with them than without them.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Ilene

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 09:37:54 PM »

Hi,

I'm not sure if this will help but I also get nose bleeds.  I use Simply Saline to help add moisture.  It can't hurt you so sometimes I use it 4-5 times a day.  I tilt my head back a bit so it will go into my sinuses.  I usually have to gently , blow out the rest of the water.     
A few times I ran the hot water at my bathroom sink. Put a towel over my head and around the basin and faucet. Then I breathe in the steam from the water  The air gets very dry in the winter.  I've thought of getting a humidifier if the dryness gets worse.  So far, it's under control.

Good luck.  I hope this might help.   :) Ilene

Kirsi

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 10:28:49 PM »
Hi Luna,
I woke up with a nose bleed this morning. I have Nasal Polyps which obstruct my breathing, and have a nasal spray, Nasonex, which is meant to shrink them!
I also have Multiple Allergies, Asthma, Diabetes , Pernicious Anaemia and Fibromyalgia. The medication I am on, contains amongst other things small amounts of steroids, which can make you more prone to bruising and bleeding. I live in the UK, and a fellow SS sufferer has recommended Nozoil for the nose. I must look it up. I don't think it contains steroids. I have been doing a lot of research into my Auto Immune conditions, and I am going to ask my Rheumatologist to look at my findings and to prescribe Vitamin K2, which has been proven to protect one's bones, and to help prevent recurring bleeding. Of course you must contact your doctor, and be checked out, but I have had to educate myself as my G.P. told me that he has never heard of Sjogren's Syndrome,so my Rheumatologist is the person I rely on. Good luck. I'm sure your Doctor will be able to put your mind at ease. :)

anita

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 05:58:38 AM »
There should have been warnings that came with the prescription about this very thing...bleeding.  It is likely the Naproxen and will probably need to be stopped.  However, you need to tell your doctor.  You should leave a message that you're having a reaction/negative side-effect from your medicine that could be serious (if it's making your nose bleed, it might be doing the same in your stomach lining).  Demand they call you back.  **I'll note that if this "too busy to call back" has happened before, you need to find a new doctor.  That is NOT acceptable!!

Here's a small quote from the huge RX warning:  "NSAIDs such as naproxen may cause ulcers, bleeding, or holes in the stomach or intestine. These problems may develop at any time during treatment, may happen without warning symptoms, and may cause death."

I'm sure your doctor can find something else for you to take for pain.
50 yr old SjS, APS w/strokes, Autonomic Neuropathy, PN, Nephrogenic DI, (PID) IgG def., Cushing's, Asthma, Gastroparesis.  Sero-neg w/+ lip biopsy.  Meds: IVIG & pre-meds, Arixtra, Aspirin, Plaquenil, Nitro, Cardizem, Imdur, Toprol XL, Domperidone, Nexium, Midodrine, Symbicort, Oxycontin, Zofran

Diane54

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 11:27:59 AM »
Nosebleeds are one thing I brought to my doctor's attention  at this last appointment. I have had about 5 FULL BLOWN nosebleeds out of nowhere in the past 2 months.  It doesn't seem like a dry nose ...nosebleed....it just came out of nowhere and bled to where I actually had to laydown ............my Rhuematologist said to mention it to my liver doctor and I did and he said to just put moisture in the air and ran a blood test (I forgot which one....) I have had a humidifier since I have been diagnosed. If you find out anything let us know....
Sjogren's diagnosed Dec 20, 2010, Hypothyroid, Diabetes 2, Autoimmune Hepatitis, Mitral Valve  Prolapse, Gerds, Antiphospholipid Syndrome,  Synthroid, Paxil, Prilosec, Evoxac, Plaquenil, Tramadol, Simvistatin, Restasis, Baby Asprin, vitamin D, Januvia, Amlodipine, Gabapentine

Luna

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 05:24:25 PM »
Hi everyone. Sorry i was out of touch for a few days. I do use Simply Saline.. Have for years. Love it. Cant  be without it. The information with the medication talks about watching for blood in stools , etc. My nurse friend said it could be making it hard for my blood to clot. I stopped taking the naproxen and the bleeding did stopped. Im in pain though. My doctor finally called me back two days later. Well actually it was his secretary who called and said he said to stop the medication and see an E.N.T.. He also wants blood work done. I have made an appointment with another Rheumy that I hear is fabulous.. So Im done with this guy.
Thank you all for your responses and suggestions.
Luna

season

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 11:49:24 PM »
My nose is so dry that blood is the only thing that does come out. Usually tiny bits of blood but when it is very painful then it bleeds a lot.  I don't take Naproxen or nsaids at all.

My nose is simply extremely dry.