Author Topic: Large lump in arm after blood taken  (Read 44221 times)

Carebear

Large lump in arm after blood taken
« on: March 05, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
Has this happened to anyone else?  I sometimes get a bruise when I have blood taken, but today when I got home from the lab, I had a purple lump the size of a golf ball at the needle site.

I elevated the arm for a while and have used a cold compress twice.  The swelling has gone down and it's not as sore.

Could this be from the Methotrexate?  Or Plaquenil?
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Seizures, Cervical Stenosis.

Plaquenil, Synthroid, Restasis, Methotrexate injections, Keppra.

slccom

• Sharon,
Re: Large lump in arm after blood taken
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 07:29:44 PM »
It sounds like the needle went out the back of the vein, too. It should clear up but will look like someone hit you with a baseball bat. Be sure to make up a really good story to explain the bruise!
Sharon
Sharon, 57-YO female, Sjogren's, depression, sicca, ataxia, hard of hearing, neuropathy,  high BP, arthritis, more. Restasis, pilocarpine, Wellbutrin, Lexapro, oxygen, arthrotec, HRT, plaquinel.

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 08:18:03 PM »
You may need additional vitamin C also. 500 additional has been recommended for people with AI disease.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

eye2dry

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 08:32:26 PM »
Carebear,  sounds like you have a hematoma. during your lab draw the tech probably pierced through the vein and blood leaked out into the surrounding tissue. your body will absorb this soon.

unfortunately..with SJS, RA, Lupus, etc.. we are subjected to frequent lab draws. I hope next time you have labs it won't happen again.

take care.
eye2dry

jazzlover

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 08:56:18 PM »
I had that happen when they tried to put an IV in my arm several months ago. She really messed up my arm. It was very painful, and I had a bruise for weeks. It was huge.

I hope you get that arm back to being OK very soon!!
Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib, neuropathy, plantar fasciitis

irish

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 11:38:05 PM »
This can happen when they are drawing blood or inserting IV needles.

I used to draw a fair amount of blood back when I was nursing and so many people are easy to draw blood from and then there are those who drive you nutz. Their veins will role, or they dissapear when the weather is chilly.

Then there are the times when the needle will go into the wall of the vein and out the other side of the vein causing a leak of blood into the tissues like right now.

There are times when drawing blood that as you get the needles into the vein it will spasm causing it too become smaller in diameter which also causes the needle to sometimes gently slide out of the vein just a little. These are the ones that will have a slow leak and cause the hematoma which is another name for a big bruise.

Apply cold compresses, if needed to stop the leaking and if there is pain in the area then it helps to use a warm washcloth on the area. There is one nurse at my infusion center who is very good at inserting the needles for my monthly IVs. One month she got very close to a nerve that goes to the top of my thumb and that sucker hurt a lot for many months.

The nurses or techs don't do this on purpose, belive me. However, if you have a nurse/tech who always has problems and causes hematoma you might want to call in to the lab and talk to the manager. Sometimes a little inservice by management will give a person some knowledge that is needed to do a better job.

Also, if the manager is receiving a lot of complaints about the person they just may end up having to find a different way to make a living. Some people are just not good at drawing blood. The facts of life I guess. Good luck. IRish ;D

SueAnn

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 03:41:18 AM »
I get monthly blood work and if the person does not put a tight wrap around where they took the blood out it will leak and I will have a bruise or a big bump.    I always ask that they put tape around the spot on my arm and leave it for about 1/2 hour. 

SueAnn
Sjs
Cellcept, Plaquenil, Evoxac, Prednisone, Restasis, and Tramadol.
SAM-e, calcium, Vit D3
Female - 52

Duchess

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 07:22:21 AM »
Yes, I have had a hematoma after a blood draw also. Sometimes I just get some bruising.

Duchess
58 y/o, Sjogren's, Lupus, Raynaud's, Mitral Valve Repair, Asthma, Myofascial Pain. Plaquenil, Inhalers, Ibuprofen,Exovac, Vitamin D, Vitamin B-12, Omega 3, Eye Drops, Quinipril, Massage therapy.

slccom

• Sharon,
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 02:20:28 PM »
That reminds me: hold your arm up, and really press hard for about 5 minutes after the blood is drawn. That goes a long way toward preventing hematomas.
Sharon, former med tech
Sharon, 57-YO female, Sjogren's, depression, sicca, ataxia, hard of hearing, neuropathy,  high BP, arthritis, more. Restasis, pilocarpine, Wellbutrin, Lexapro, oxygen, arthrotec, HRT, plaquinel.

slccom

• Sharon,
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 02:21:01 PM »
Up straight over your head, that is. Sharon

Carebear

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 02:58:45 PM »
Thanks everyone, for all your replies.

I spoke with a nurse on our healthcare hotline as well, and she repeated everything you have already said.  She added that the use of Plaquenil and Methotrexate increase the odds of this happening.  And my having a prolong PTT throws in another monkey wrench. 

She recommended holding pressure on the site for 10 minutes to help avoid this from happening again.

I look badly bruised up today, but can't for the life of me think of an interesting story to tell the water exercise class this afternoon.  ;)

And I sure don't blame the technician who drew my blood.  She was very gentle and I didn't feel a thing. 
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Seizures, Cervical Stenosis.

Plaquenil, Synthroid, Restasis, Methotrexate injections, Keppra.

Pisces24

• Hashimotos, Reynards, SJS 03/09; Lymphoma 4/12
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 06:59:41 PM »
I feel for you.  :'( :(  I got badly bruised up once too. I learned there is one place in town you DO NOT go to to get blood drawn.  I am easy too according to everyone else.

One tube, 5 sticks, left arm b-n-b and they didn't have a big enough bandage to cover it. I carried that arm like a sling for 2 days until I could straighten it out.

Now I always thank the "stickers" for doing a good job. LOL  ;)

slccom

• Sharon,
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 01:59:43 AM »
Mishap at the last mixed martial arts match? Sharon