Author Topic: Thirsty All The Time  (Read 4410 times)

Spider

Thirsty All The Time
« on: March 05, 2012, 11:17:52 AM »
Hi,

I just wanted to know does anyone know if drinking all day long, is one of the symptoms of sjogrens and if so what did they do to stop being thirsty all day long.

Spider

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD
    • Chakra Force
Re: Thirsty All The Time
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 11:28:01 AM »
Check your blood sugars. Could also be diabetes.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

A66eyroad

• Be kind to yourself today!
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 11:55:40 AM »
My mouth is dry, but I'm not "thirsty" per se.

I'm with Joe --- time to get those sugar levels tested!  :)
Female, 60
Sjogrens and subacute cutaneous lupus. Flu-like symptoms, mouth ulcers, itchy rash, high cholesterol, headache, earache, tinnitis, dizziness. Hangover-like nausea, especially in the a.m.
Plaquenil, Atabrine, DHEA, Aleve, Evoxac, Allegra/Benedryl, Mary's Magic Mouthwash, carafate.

WildThing

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 12:23:03 PM »
I've had this issue since I was 20 years old that's nearly 16 years ago now and sometimes it gets so bad I feel like I could die of thirst like no matter how much I drink it doesn't go away.  Also gets a lot worse just before I get a virus.  No idea what it is.  It is not as bad lately as it used to be though.  I've been checked for diabetes countless times but blood sugar is ok.  Worth getting tested just in case but other than that I can only sympathise.  Do you use anything for a dry mouth?  This  might help, it helps me sometimes.

Spider

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 12:27:09 PM »
Hi,

Thanks

Blood sugars will be checked at the end of the week, just wanted to know if this was a known symptom of SS and if so whether their was treatment for this symptom.

Just getting a bit fed up as I just seem to be picking up more and more diagnosis and no proper treatment.
Spider.

Spider

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 12:33:32 PM »
Hi WildThing

My mouth has never really been too dry, eyes bone dry for years.

But the thirst came on about three weeks ago and is really bad.

I think I am just fed up of all my symptoms and yet another is driving me mad.

So do you just carry water with you all the time? What sort of thing do you use for a dry mouth, my saliva supply seems ok.

Spider.

Doxie

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 02:01:20 PM »
Spider - yes, that was one of the first things that hit me when Sjogren's hit bit time.  I was so dry and thirsty all the time. I found myself guzzling anything to drink. 

After a few months, I realized that it wasn't that I was thirsty, but that I was so dry. The dryness, arthritis flares even where I previously had none, fatigue and brain fog told me something wasn't right.

After reading up a lot about Sjogrens - and from this site, I realized that I needed to stop drinking so much all the time.  Now I take sips, suck on hard candy, and chew gum for my dryness.  I've read that drinking too much all the time can actually take away the good enzymes that what little saliva you do have left provide.

I'm glad you're getting your blood sugar checked, because you never know, and there can be over lapping symptoms.

Good luck!
Primary Sjogrens, IC, stenosis, facet and DDD, arthritis in other joints, THR, diabetes, neuropathy, SIBO, hypertension, sleep apnea, and other challenges

Lots of meds and I have two cute dachshunds that provide the best therapy!

Heather18

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 02:31:44 PM »
I drink water all day long. I'm not really thirsty, my mouth is dry. I think about it now before I drink. Am I really thirsty or is my mouth dry?
Good times
Heather

WildThing

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 03:37:33 PM »
I use Biotine Gel, just a dab on my tongue when I need it.  I like to sing too which is hard as my throat dries up.  I used to carry water with me at all times yes bt the thirst isn't as bad lately and what with my incontinence now I just don't bother.  I don't think the thirst is SS related though as I only developed SS a couple of years ago and as I say the thirst issue is a lot older than that.  Certainly SS won't help it though.

mshistory

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 04:13:50 PM »
Yep, I'm thirsty all the time, and it just keeps getting worse. I never go anywhere without a bottle of water anymore  :( I know there are medicines like Salagen and Evoxac that can help produce saliva, but my rheumy said he saves those for when they are REALLY needed because of the side effects.

It's REALLY annoying at night when I'm trying to sleep, and my mouth and throat start feeling so dry I have to keep taking sips of water. And then I have to keep getting up to pee. Lovely cycle.  ::)
SLE and SjS. ANA >1:1280 speckled,
SS-A >8.0, RF positive. Benlysta, Botox for migraines, Clonazepam, Zoloft, Imitrex for migraines, CellCept 1500 mg, Plaquenil 200 mg, Restasis, Zofran for nausea, Gabapentin, Evoxac and Norco for pain.

slccom

• Sharon,
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 08:13:00 PM »
I heard that you should use them while you still have glands that can function, rather than waiting. That is what my Rheumy said. Sharon
Sharon, 57-YO female, Sjogren's, depression, sicca, ataxia, hard of hearing, neuropathy,  high BP, arthritis, more. Restasis, pilocarpine, Wellbutrin, Lexapro, oxygen, arthrotec, HRT, plaquinel.

williak

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 08:35:05 PM »
I take pilocarpine.  The first time I took one it was like a waterfall in my mouth.  It's a great feeling.  I imagine that it may stop working someday, so I will enjoy it while I can.

Kim
Primary Sjogrens, Chronic Kidney Disease, several types of dermatitis, plaquenil, pilocarpine, restatis, clonezapam, lexapro, nexium, lutein, flax seed oil

Spider

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 12:50:54 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your replys. I have had SS diagnosed for 3 years but never had this problem before.
At least I now know what questions I need to be asking my Doc when my blood results are back.

Wishing you all a good day.

Spider

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 03:50:06 AM »
Spider, please let us know the outcome. As you know AI diseases like to bring their friends.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

cargillwitch

• cargillwitch
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 06:47:08 AM »
yes- have been " thirsty" for years! Always have a drink going. It is more that my throat is parched (not really my mouth) than real thirst. I have been tested several times for diabetes, and my blood sugars are always well within normal range.
 I do chew gum a lot when I have to do long car trips- saves on pee stops!
44 female,Primary Sjogrens ,Raynauds,degenerative disc disease.
gastroparesis.Magnesium citrate, andrenergyn,Valerian,pancreatic enzymes, hydrochloric acid, vit D3,Floradix
www.cargillwitch.blogspot.com