Author Topic: plaquenil and antacids?  (Read 1766 times)

bob212

plaquenil and antacids?
« on: March 01, 2012, 02:34:43 PM »
Hi,

There are some warnings that "some antacids" will decrease effectiveness
of plaquenil. 

I sometimes do a course or two of one-a- day prilosec when my reflux acts up, as it is
now.  I know many on here have reflux like I do.  Does anyone know whether that will effect the plaquenil?  Thanks!

Bob
Bob

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
Re: plaquenil and antacids?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 06:38:01 PM »
Hi  :)

As far as I know the advice is to make sure that antacids and Plaquenil are taken at least 4 hours apart. If they are taken together - effectiveness decreases but 4 hours apart is OK.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Winnie

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 07:16:16 PM »
I take Dexilant thirty minutes before breakfast and then take plaquenil after breakfast and my evening meal.  How are you going to get it 4 hours away from the plaquenil? Take it at noon?

Winnie
Sicca Syndrome-Aug 11', osteopenia, IBS-C, gastritis, GERD
Plaquenil, Dexilant, Vit D, Calcium, gluten free, dairy, egg & nut intolerances

bob212

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 08:38:31 PM »
Thanks Scottie.    I'm going to run it by my pharmacist and see what they say as well.

Luna

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 09:54:41 PM »
Oh wow. Thank you for asking this question and thank you Scottie for that reminder. I totally forgot about that. I was taking my prilosec only an hour before my plaquenil. I will definatly change that.

Luna

Doxie

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 10:32:53 PM »
I guess I need to check into it too. I take my Prilosec about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes before Plaquenil.

Last month when I was in the hospital for my hip replacement, the nurses just gave me the Prilosec with all my morning meds, including Plaquenil. I keep trying to tell them that I needed to take it earlier, but they wouldn't listen.

I admit, it is a pain to have to take Prilosec a while before anything else.

Good question Bob!
Primary Sjogrens, IC, stenosis, facet and DDD, arthritis in other joints, THR, diabetes, neuropathy, SIBO, hypertension, sleep apnea, and other challenges

Lots of meds and I have two cute dachshunds that provide the best therapy!

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 08:50:40 AM »
As far as I've been able to find out, the only antacid that may cause an interaction with Plaquenil is one that contains magnesium, and the same caution applies to magnesium based laxatives and magnesium supplements.

PPIs (Losec and the like)may interfer with absorption of many drugs and nutrients, though, simply because they alter the Ph balance of the gastric secretions, and drugs are developed to be optimally absorbed at a normal Ph.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

bob212

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 04:50:25 PM »
Adding to the confusion I created:

I spoke to my pharmacist who said that prilosec should be OK as it is an acid reducer and
not an antacid.  In other words he said stay away from Tums, rolaids, gaviscon as those will
prevent absorption.

Gonna run this by my rheumy when I see her as well.

warmwaters

• Just keep swimming - Dora
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 05:12:10 PM »
Prilosec changes how your stomach produces acid, but is not an antacid, which is something that absorbs acid.  You should be ok.

I take my Prilosec and plaquenil together.
Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS, autonomic neuropathy
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, fludrocortisone, peridonstigmine, various inhalers