Author Topic: Really Low Body Temperature - Any Advice?  (Read 17158 times)

Daisy1234

Really Low Body Temperature - Any Advice?
« on: February 24, 2012, 05:34:06 AM »
Hi everyone, I don't know if anyone has some insight into this but would certainly appreciate any help.

I have severe Sjs and also Non Hodgkins Lymphoma caused by the Sjs.

Lately, I have been experiencing a distinct decrease in my body temperature and have been finding myself increasingly intolerant to cold temperatures.  After mild cold exposure my body starts to lock up and go into spasms and my joints become more painful than usual.

Yesterday evening although I was sitting at home in a nice toasty house, I found myself shivering (once again) and was very cold so I decided to take my temperature to see if I was running a fever and was surprised to see that it was 95.2F.   I've had a lower body temperature for the past several years but its usually more like 97.6F, so I was surprised to see how low my temperature was last night. 

I went and got a manual thermometer to double check and it also showed 95.3F so I know that my body temperature was very low.  This series of chills has been happening alot for the past few months and when I've checked my temperature before, it was about 96.2F when I had these "chill" sessions which happen daily now. 

Is this something that I should be getting checked?  Would appreciate any advice or experience with this issue.

Daisy

Bucky

• Global Moderator
Re: Really Low Body Temperature - Any Advice?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 06:28:36 AM »
((Daisy)) - sorry, I don't have any advice to offer you . . . is it maybe related to the treatment you are receiving - a side effect?  I would mention to the doctor(s).

Your little flower here by my computer keeps you in my daily thoughts and prayers.

Thinking of you Daisy.

Hugs,
Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

ohiolady

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 06:40:09 AM »
I don't have any answers but I'm sending you warm thoughts and a big hug.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 06:45:43 AM »
96.8 has been normal for me for many years. I have been as low as 94.6 before. My temperature dips like this, it is just before I get sick with a infection like strep. I believe that these low temperatures allow viruses to thrive and indicate a suppressed immune system. See you doctor to get his view point on your situation.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

MissyLouWho?

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 07:03:40 AM »
I'm usually a little low too, like 97.3, but my doc is never concerned with it.  95.2 sounds like something you should call your doctor about.  I'm concerned that if it dips lower it could cause something like hypothermia or something.  I know they get concerned with hypothermic patients' core body temps (I know you weren't actually out in the cold but just referencing the temp issue) but I am not sure at what degree they get concerned.  Please at least call him.  Let us know what he says.  P's and PT's  :)

Daisy1234

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 09:53:19 AM »
Thanks Bucky. Anna, Joe and MissyLouwho for your replies.

I have made an appointment with my PCP for this Monday PM.  I have been getting a bit overwhelmed these days with all the "interesting" developments with my health and didn't want to jump the gun and run back to the doctor again unless these low body temps is something that is worth looking into. 

I'm having a particularly hard winter this year.

Daisy

aussie mum

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 11:14:07 AM »
Hi Daisy,

I am not an expert, but it might be worth asking your GP to do a thorough check of your Thyroid Function. I thought I read somewhere that a low body temperature is a symptom of an underactive Thyroid.

Sending you many warm hugs.
Aussie Mum
Daughter - SJS, Lupus, Underactive Thyroid, Wolff Parkinson White Syndrome & Insulin Resistance.

Me - Ankylosing Spondylitis, Total Thyroidectomy, Endometriosis, Adenomyosis, High Blood Pressure, Hiatus Hernia, Dry Eyes & Mouth, Stomach Issues, Enbrel, Thyroxine, Atacand, Pariet, Krill Oil, Vit D

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 12:22:05 PM »
My normal temperature is always below 97.5.

I don't often check it myself.

And I'm usually feeling way too hot!

Have you Googled low temperature and your diagnosed conditions?

You may find the correlations there, if they exist.

Joe, I have LOW IgG, immunity factors, and didn't think of that in terms of my temperature.

If I run a temp of 99 or over, I'm really really sick!

Hope you find out what's going on if you can.

Hugs

Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

Dolly Dimples

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 04:07:58 PM »
  Daisy, being very senstive to the cold ( even to feeling cold indoors) is quite a common problem with a lot  of us Sjoggies.
    I have been this way for too many years now, Doctor says its sensitivity , but some here have suggested Neuropathy.
    I have certainly been very cold this winter here in UK,  cannot stand being in rooms that have no kind of heating on.
     I'm due next month for my yearly review, and will be mentioning this again ..
                      wrap up and snuggle up, Dolly .

eyeamdry

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 04:31:45 PM »
My lowest temp at the drs was 96.0.  I usually bring it to their attention.  That was my lowest and usually I am 97.something and the drs deny it has anything to do with Sjs.

I asked the nurse when was the last time she took a person's temperature and it was that low (96.)?  She said never and then ignored me.  Lucy

engy

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 06:29:01 PM »
Mine is usually low too but when my thyroid is off it's lower.

I'd get checked out,
Carie

« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 06:34:59 PM by engy »
DX:Sjogrens w/mild Lupus overlap,Hashi,Celiac,Raynauds,Sm.Fiber Neuropathy,POTS,Fibro.,CFS,OI & other dysautonomia.
No thyroid
Fish/Shellfish Allergy

RX:Plaquenil,Synthroid,LCarnitine,CoQ10,ALA,Dribose,Tumeric/Curcumin, Milk Thistle,AdreneVive,Fish Oil,Flaxseed Oil,Magnesium,B12 shots,vit D & C

Luna

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 12:33:00 PM »
Please let us know what your doctor tells you.

Luna

Nancy60

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 01:24:50 PM »
I've had low body temperature and cold intolerance for years.  always attributed it to my Hypothyriodism.  I also read somewhere that long term use of anit inflammatories can also do that as they decrease inflammation so it might be due to your meds.  Probably worth mentioning to your doctor though as it is becoming more of a problem lately.  Let us know what your doctor says!

Nancy

genko_b

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 03:31:54 PM »
I agree with many here who also have low body temps. My usual is 97.3. My guess is that for some of us it is thyroid related, some is autonomic nervous system related (our body thermostats don't work well), and some may be affected by anti-inflammatory meds.

Genko

Patze

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 05:35:21 PM »
I'm throwing my hat into having your thyroid tested too Daisy....that's one of my "flag symptoms" (my normal temp is now around 96.7 or so). 

Now my temp got so low one time that a four minute thermometer did not pick it up and it scared the bejeeps out of me too (I finally warmed up after being under a mountain of blankets for a few hours).  The endo I had at the time kept trying to tell me that it's not the thyroid, and it turned out that it was after all (have to keep my TSH to right around 1.00 and it was almost 3.0).

Good luck and I hope that your doctor finds an answer soon.

Take care of yourself and sending you a ( ( H U G ) )  -

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen