Author Topic: Hubby in hospital again!!!  (Read 10125 times)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
Re: Hubby in hospital again!!!
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2012, 06:36:14 PM »
WE have to laugh or else we lose our minds. Also, I continue to eat ice cream which is a very "feel good" food.

Irish - I'm glad the Mr. is feeling and looking better.   ;)

Yay for ice cream . . . what's your favorite?

Keep your sense of humor and get some laughs watching "Everybody Loves Raymond".  You need your de-stressing time.

Hang in there . . . .

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Meld256

« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2012, 09:24:36 PM »
Irish,

I'm so glad "Mr. Irish" is doing much better today.  ;D  You've said he's an outdoors-type of person, and so I guess being stuck inside has been hard on him (and you!) 

You two have sure had a rough time of it lately.  It's about time it all calmed down, isn't it?  Glad you enjoy watching "Everybody Loves Raymond" ~ I think I need a dose of that myself this week.

Please take care of yourself while taking care of him. You're a special lady around here, and you know we're all here to encourage or listen or whatever we can do.
Hugs to ya,
Melinda

genko_b

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2012, 06:15:48 PM »
Hope things are still improving today - take care,

Genko

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2012, 07:58:20 PM »
Irish - how is Mr. Irish doing these days?  And, you too?   ;)

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2012, 09:36:03 PM »
Hi Bucky, See you are out going through the old threads!!!!

Hubby is holding his own at the time being and is currently on Cipro. He has very severe COPD (doc finally told us his COPD stage) and has to be very careful. We have had a lot of talks about a lot of things this past couple of years and I think that he is finally catching on that he has to behave himself and watch how he takes care of himself.

We have a recently updated Living Will and we just discussed the "DNR" status thing so we got that taken care of. He is very fragile and his health can swing fast so it is like living on the edge.

He is to start a new med called Daliresp tomorrow. It is for severe COPD and affects an enzyme in the lung that is responsible for inflammation. By getting rid of the inflammation the drug helps to increase the uptake of oxygen as there is more room in the tissues.  Also, it helps to thin the mucus and that helps drain the bronchioles which in turn is to decrease the infections. Supposedly this drug is to eliminiate some of the exacerbations of the COPD that causes the infections, SOB and use of the vent. Sort of a short version of the whole process.

Time will certainly tell. I have been researching this drug ever since he saw pulmonology on Tuesday. The drug has a whole lot of side effects that are not pleasant---bigtime diarrhea for some people. They have even documented about 2 suicides and 3 attempted suicides that could be from the med as it causes depression and anxiety.

He decided to try it and if he so much as gets a twinge anywhere he is going to stop. He may go to the N acetyl Cysteine but we want to talk to some more doctors first. Also, may see if doc will put him on a neb with saline/albuterol to help with thinning the mucus. Good for him, but not for me cause I will have to clean the mouth piece!!!! Another chore and trying to prevent cross contamination between us is almost impossible.

Sure as shooting our home is turning into a mini long term care center.

As far as me----I am on Nystatin and Cipro. I have had the worst case of whatever it is that has caused me lots of breathing and coughing issues. Only yeast grew but I sure could tell the difference when I started the Cipro prior to the Nystatin. I may have to do another acid fast sputum to check for the mycobacterium again. Sheeeesh!!!!

Keeping track of our antibiotics is almost a full time job. I have to document in my notebook plus I never throw away the empty bottle cause then I have the sure proof of who was on what when.

Oh, I am still trying to get the income tax done. Man, I just can't think straight lately with all that has been going on!!!

Hope you are getting along Bucky. Is it as warm where you live tonight. Man, it is sure hot in our house. Have 2 fans running and some windows open. It should cool off by midnight I would think. No breeze either. Has the makings of a storm down the road!!! Take care. Irish ;D

Patze

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2012, 03:59:58 PM »
Sending you some seriously soft and cool ( ( ( H UG S ) ) ) my friend and I'm keeping the old digits crossed and that the hubby gets better soon!

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2012, 08:53:32 PM »
Thanks Patze!!!

Have you had some warm weather also?? It was about 81 today with winds up to 30 mph. Dusty and need rain soooo bad.

Back in 1968 it was 80 degrees on March 30th. My sister got married this day and I stood up for her even though 5 months pregnant---which was something back in those days.

It was so windy and dusty that day also. Sooo, yes, there are years that are warm early and unless you have something special going on you don't always remember it. Irish ;D

Meld256

« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2012, 10:34:41 PM »
Irish,

Also sending you some gentle hugs for both you and hubby.  I really hope the new meds are a help to him, and You...you need to get over those breathing and coughing issues.  I know, if wishing it just made it so!  ;)

It's strangely warm here in KY this week, although we have had some thunderstorms.  Predicted to be 82 tomorrow! 
Isn't that funny how we remember dates and what happened on a certain day? You'll always remember your sister's wedding that hot day when you were expecting.

Take care of yourself, and know we care a bunch!  :)
Melinda

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2012, 05:28:43 PM »
It just rained for about 15 minutes really, really, really hard-----straight down. Couldn't see across the road. It cooled off and smells so good now. Yeah!!!!Irish

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2012, 06:00:02 PM »
Ahhh Irish,

Enjoying the sweet smell after a hard rain......

The basic pleasures in life are the best.

You, my dear, know how to live and survive and carry on.

All my love to you and hubby.

Hugs

Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2012, 09:37:49 PM »
Elaine, Thank you for the strong vote of confidence. I am probably the most vulnerable I have been in my life right now.

Trying to deal with my health issues and with hubby's is a huge job. I am so lucky that he is doing as well as he is. I have to admit that things do happen really quick around here with his health. Not all of the issues end up with a hospital admit, but it does make me stay pretty close to home. Old age and chronic illness are not for sissies.

Today I was in Walmart and ran into a gal that was a nursing assistant with me a few years ago. We went over our own health issues and our hubbies health issues (her hubby has Alzheimers) and we decided that we would rather take care of old people than to "be one". We had a chuckle over that. We both worked darn hard years ago and I think we made a difference in some small way. Life does keep on keeping on, doesn't it.

Take care Elaine and I bet you might get rained on before the week is out. Irish ;D

Meld256

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2012, 10:10:19 PM »
Irish,

You may feel vulnerable for now, but you have my strong vote of confidence, too!  Do you realize how much confidence you've pushed so many of us to "keep on, keepin on?"  I doubt if you have any idea.

I have 3 words etched in my mind from a post of yours not long after I began my journey and was so desperate to figure out HOW in the world my life would ever be enjoyable again:

Accept, Adapt, and Persevere

Three words.  They sound so simple, and yet I've worked very hard on each part for about 18 months. It hasn't been easy, but living by those three words has helped give me hope, encouragement, strength and persistance.  And a joy in my life again.

I'm sure that you (and your co-worker) did the same for all the hundreds of patients that you worked with over your nursing career!   ;)  Keep hanging in there. 

Melinda

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2012, 12:55:39 AM »
Oh Meld, Thank you for reminding me of those 3 words. I feel like I am a shadow of my former self lately---too much stress and as we get older we don't bounce back as fast---or as high.lol

I needed to hear those words to get me kick started again. Thank you so much. Take care now. Irish ;D

Meld256

« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2012, 06:51:38 PM »
Irish,

I'm so glad I could be of some help; you're so welcome. I just wanted to let you know how much your words of encouragement had helped me personally, and so, so many others!!  ;)

Your three words made a huge difference in my life. I may have a foggy-brain, but those I will never forget.  It sums up everything we need to do, and I've passed them along to others.  So we're "paying it forward" aren't we?
I know how stress gets us down and out, but I know you can bounce back.  Who cares if it's not as high as it used to be?

Soft hugs,
Melinda

Poochie

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2012, 09:28:26 PM »
Dear Irish, I'm sorry it's been so long since we exchanged e-mails and phone calls.  I'm so sorry to hear your hubby is going through so much with the COPD.  I know how it's affecting you too, as my hubby also has it, plus Asthma and emphasema.  Thank goodness for the in house oxygen machine we have.  Between his 3 inhalers,  the nebulizer and to many drugs, he is doing okay. 

When he starts getting nasty with us, I point to his recliner and the machine and tell him "SIT!" and he knows he is too short of air again.   I love him dearly but sheesh, when his levels get low and he starts with his barbs I have to be strong and just ignore him because I know he doesn't mean the things he says.  He always says he's sorry later and I know it's just the COPD.

I'm doing okay.  "Fred" and I are doing the fancy steps and the legs keep me up more than I care to mention.  I was just dx'd with hyperglycemia at my last check up, so now I have something else to learn about.  My Dad was dx'd with diabetes about my age so my doctor was watching me closely.  I'm trying to behave myself with this and all the rest of stuff wrong with me.  Even being in SJS remission, the gifts it gave me are non returnable so the fight goes on. 

Take care of yourself too gal, and watch out for your hubby too.  Life is getting shorter for all of us and we should make the best of what time we have left. 

Hugs, Love and God Bless, Pooh