Author Topic: Food for Thought  (Read 1706 times)

lighthouse33

Food for Thought
« on: March 23, 2012, 09:40:27 AM »
Food for Thought

Eighty percent of US teenagers are smoking by the age of 18.

How to bankrupt your family:

My dad sat me down last weekend and gave me the facts:

Our caregiver charges $15 per hour, at the rate we have her here that?s $2,000 per week. 

Mom and dad?s hospital bills for the year have been $20,000.  They have insurance, so I assume that is what they have to pay after the insurance pays.

Between the three of us our drug costs so far have been $9,700. 

For the first time ever we have spent more money than we have taken in with our investments.

We are having to cut back on the hours our caregiver is here.

So what does all of this have to do with smoking? 

Mom has smoked since she was a teenager.  She tells stories of her and her friends knocking over outhouses and sneaking out to have smokes. 

She finally quit at age 72 after having been on Spirva for many years. 

Since last October she has been on oxygen 24/7.  Dragging around her hose, needing constant care.  They say she has emphysema. 

She fractured a vertebrae in her back due to her smoking.  One doctor says that most smokers have advanced osteoporosis.  Just turning over in bed, she could fracture more bones.

She has other health problems as well.

In mom and dad?s wildest dreams, I don?t think they ever saw this coming.

Please, take it as a warning.

Lighthouse?s lecture is over.  Have a great day!

Female
Primary Sjogren's, polyneuropathy, endomitriosis, dietary fructose intolerance
Plaquenil, Lyrica, Tramadal, Omeprazole, Fortical, fish oil, flaxseed oil, benefiber, centrum chewable mulitviitamin, caltrate chewable 600 D+minerals, WSN Nerve Support Formula, Align, Biotene Products

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
Re: Food for Thought
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 10:48:38 AM »
Health challenges are very expensive to treat. Do what you can to take care of yourself.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 12:22:03 PM »
lighthouse, you sure hit the nail on the head. This is happening to families all over the country and actually, to some extent, all over the world.

The smoking itself costs a heck of a lot and then when you figure in all the medical expense it is more than enough to choke a horse. I quit smoking about 11 years after about 25 years of being a light smoker and 15 years of moderate smoking. I still say that the only way to quit is cold turkey.

I hope and pray that your family is able to cope with all that is going on with you. I was wondering if your folks have a supplemental health insurance in addition to medicare as this usually has coverage for some home health care.

You mother is probably in end stage COPD but it is hard to know how long a person can get along like this. Everyone is different. Good luck to you now and visit often. Irish ;D

lighthouse33

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 01:23:02 PM »
Irish,

I'm really not involved in the financial / insurance stuff but I think they have like you said supplemental insurance and Medicare.  Dad handles all that stuff.
Female
Plaquenil, Lyrica, Tramadal, Omeprazole, Fortical, fish oil, flaxseed oil, benefiber, centrum chewable mulitviitamin, caltrate chewable 600 D+minerals, WSN Nerve Support Formula, Align, Biotene Products

eyeamdry

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 11:43:58 PM »
lighthouse, do you and your parents share a home?  It sounds like it and I'm sure that it keeps costs down somewhat.  I'm not trying to be nosy, but that's something all of us face as we age like your parents, a kid or kids (grown) living with us to shave costs for everyone.  I imagine there are some families or circumstances where living in a shelter would be better than "sharing."  I'm just adding that because I know a few people like that. 

Your post was very thought provoking.  I quit cigs 11-13-1989.  Am so glad I did and my hubby quit a few years later.  I'm sure we might not be here if we had not quit then.  Lucy

lighthouse33

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 09:08:15 AM »
Yes, we all live together in the same house.  It can be very difficult and stressful at times.  I've been legally blind since birth and although I have a graduate degree, I've never been able to work outside of the home.  I wish things had been different for me but I have to accept my life as it is.  Que sera, sera.  One thing is for sure, I will make sure after mom and dad pass, that I do not go to live with my brother and his wife.  Will do whatever needs to be done for that not to hapen.

Anyone can ask whatever they like, it won't bother me in the least.
Female

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 11:48:54 AM »
Do you use Window Eyes on your computer?
Do you have a dog? a cane? or a sonic device?

I had a friend that was blind from Diabetes. He hated the cane, loved the dog and have several speaking devices. A custom bath was added for his wheel chair. We also tested programing lego's robotics to get him around his house.
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche

lighthouse33

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 12:19:17 PM »
Hi Joe,

None of the above - to the cane, the dog or the sonic device.  I can see 20 / 80 with glasses without them it is 2200. 

I do have a huge 20 to 22 inch monitor that helps out a lot.  I have all of my fonts set big and a KEYS-U-SEE keyboard. 

In school, I relied on my hearing to take notes.  Most of the time, I could set down front but I couldn't really see the board that well.  When my friends were in my classes they would help with the note taking.  Some teachers would give me their notes, most would not. 

I did not do well in math or science - too much board work.  I could read and comprehend at a very fast and high level which teachers found amazing with my condition.  I tutored junior high school students with reading difficulties.

I was forced to take physical education which as you can imagine was a disaster especially in the team sports.  Nobody wanted me on their team.  I did run track in high school though.  And do cart wheel flips off the balance beam.  The horse and parallel bars were a disaster. 

The seeing eye dogs are great - did your friend have a lab, retriever or a German shepherd?
Female

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 03:11:55 PM »
Greg had a boxer for about 7 years. When the dog (Rocky) died, Greg mourned the loss until his death a few years ago. The attachment was so strong that he refused other dogs but financial supported a number of programs and purchased several puppies for them.

I am glad you are doing well.

eye2dry

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 07:04:28 PM »
hi Lighthouse.

I have never smoked but grew up in a home where both parents did.
My dad died of head&neck cancer at age 52.  in 1987.

My mom has early emphysema,  she is almost 77 and she QUIT smoking at age 71. Better late then never.

I think it is nice that the three of you can live together. Have you had sjogrens long? What is your most aggravating symptom with it?

nice to meet you.

eye2dry