Author Topic: Hubby in hospital again!!!  (Read 9675 times)

irish

• Global Moderator
Hubby in hospital again!!!
« on: February 23, 2012, 10:02:34 PM »
Just a quick note to let you know that my hubby is in the hospital again with pneumonia. He had a funny cough for about 3 weeks and saw our FP and then had a cat scan with dye of his lungs last week Wednesday which showed no infection or sign of cancerous nodes.

This Monday at 4:30 PM he called me from the son's business to come and get him cause he was so weak and short of breath. I got him home and we were in the ER before 30 minutes were up. We had our grandkids at the house since last Friday so had to make arrangements for them first.

Anyway, to ER in our town and then another ambulance ride to the "big" hospital in another town. His O2 sats got down to 69 percent at one point and I thought he would need to be intubated again but he finally was able to get some air after using the nebulizer.

He had a 23,000 white count and has been in tough shape for a few days. They are thinking he will get home on Saturday or Sunday. It was almost 1 year to day since a pneumonia with pulmonary embolisms and then he had a pneumonia with hospitalization in September.

This is because of COPD plus the low IgG levels which don't let the body fight off infection. Boy, it is heck when both spouses have autoimmune diseases. Then comes the big time issue---my man doesn't like to stay in the house or sit in the recliner. Doesn't like to read or do puzzles. I told him I would teach him to crochet but he doesn't like that idea.

Had to vent a little folks. Life will go on---it always does!!! Irish ;D

harrigan

Re: Hubby in hospital again!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 11:03:28 PM »
Oh Irish - sorry to hear this.  Hope Hubby soon picks up and you can get him to recuperate without it stressing you! 

Thinking of you both xx Ailsa
Female, 54
Diagnosed with Sjogrens March 09; Rheumatoid Arthritis February 2010
Meds: abatacept, Methotrexate injections , Folic Acid, Amitriptyline, Ozepramole, Tramacet, Glandosane & Viscotears.

eyeamdry

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 11:35:34 PM »
Hope things get better real soon Irish and........I would like you to show me how to crochet too.  I can knit from my kid days in 4-H.

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 04:14:34 AM »
I am sorry to hear this.

You could have him try listening to the tones in sequence 3 minutes per tone twice per day. I know you do not believe they can help but it may be something to keep him busy indoors for an hour or two. Here is the link:
http://www.chakraforce.com/Tonations.html#76.
The period at the end of the link is needed.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 06:13:20 AM »
((Irish)) - I'm sorry to hear that Mr. Irish is in the hospital w/pneumonia.   :(

I hope it will be a short stay for him and his breathing and coughing will improve quickly for him.

He doesn't want to learn how to crochet?  What's the matter with him?   ;)

Take care of yourself too, Irish . . . someone has got to keep the ship running smoothly.

Hugs,
Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Madison Granny

• Keep on fighting and stay strong!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 07:54:13 AM »
I so sorry that your husband is in the hospital.  It's hard to have a loved one sick.  I think it's harder than being sick myself.  I felt totally helpless when my husband was hospitalized with blood clots.  I think by you just being there is a help to him.  He knows you truly care.
Primary SJS, dRTA, Osteroporis, OAB, stage 3 kidney disease, hypothyroid and high blood pressure.  Medicine I take are plaquenil, bicarb, prolia, synthroid, toprol and amolipine, citracal and vitamin D.  I use Arex and Azasite and Prolia.  I also have Reynaud's and osteoarthris of the toes

Parched

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 07:57:37 AM »
Sorry to hear hubby is in hospital.  Praying for a speedy recovery for him and extra spoons for you.

My mom taught my stepdad to crochet.  He has gotten really good at it too.  It is cute to show up at their home and they are sitting there crocheting their projects together.

I love to crochet, takes my mind off of stressful things and I find it very relaxing.  Currently working on dish clothes and butterflies (magnets for the fridge). They are too cute... 

Thoughts and prayers for you and hubby
Parched

Cricket

• My Cancer Journey
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 09:35:42 AM »
Prayers for your husband and you!

Try not to over due and try to rest when you can.
Female 64 yrs. old with:~Lymphoma ~SJS~, Fibro, Neuropathy, Spinal  Stenosis, Degenerative Discs, Shingles Arthritis, Hypo-thyroid.
Rituxan, Synthroid, Lopressor, Vasotec, Zantac, Zyrtec, evoxac, Lexapro, Neurotin, Ambien, Zanaflex, Voltarm, Vicodin, fish oil, Centrum vit.,  CoQ10, vit. D, Miralax

Daisy1234

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 11:10:36 AM »
Irish I'm so very sorry to hear that your hubby has developed pneumonia and that you have so much on your plate to deal with these days once again.  Sigh...

Please do try to take care of yourself during this crisis and know that we are all thinking of you and as well wishing your Hubby a speedy recovery from this pneumonia.

Hugs,
Daisy

soycoffee

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 11:26:25 AM »
Who do you lean on, who lets you cry on her/his shoulder? It's okay, now.

Besides crochet, would he like to play checkers or chess? Are grandkids around to play with him? Would he walk indoors on a treadmill? If he tinkers in the garage, can some of this come indoors?

Just brainstorming.

And I hope you are brainstorming ideas for your own support and rest.

{{{hugs}}}
Soycoffee

lynnmarie219

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 06:09:18 PM »
Oh Irish,

So sorry to hear that your hubby is back in the hospital. I wish him a speedy recovery and please remember to take good care of yourself at the same time. You two have been through a lot and I wish better days ahead for you both!

engy

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 06:32:33 PM »
Sorry to hear about hubby.

69% is low! WOW!

Wishing for a quick recovery & don't forget to take care of yourself too!

Carie
DX:Sjogrens w/mild Lupus overlap,Hashi,Celiac,Raynauds,Sm.Fiber Neuropathy,POTS,Fibro.,CFS,OI & other dysautonomia.
No thyroid
Fish/Shellfish Allergy

RX:Plaquenil,Synthroid,LCarnitine,CoQ10,ALA,Dribose,Tumeric/Curcumin, Milk Thistle,AdreneVive,Fish Oil,Flaxseed Oil,Magnesium,B12 shots,vit D & C

harlin

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 07:08:38 PM »
Oh Irish
So sorry hubby is feeling so poorly. I hope he feels better soon
and I agree that you need to take good care of yourself too!

Sending hugs to you and hubby.
Love harlin

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 07:12:43 PM »
Wow, Irish, you have lots to cope with.

I thought I posted something earlier today, but it evidently didn't make it through.

Probably because your hubby's low IgG levels sent me off in pursuit of more information on my own low levels before I finished posting

Do you know why his levels are so low?

Mine, I 'think' are very very low from taking Oxcarbazepine, for 5 years.

I'm hoping they'll rebound within year or sooner.

IMMUNOGLOBULIN G *333 mg/dL                     [588-1573]

IMMUNOGLOBULIN A 105   mg/dL                      [46-287]
IMMUNOGLOBULIN M *19   mg/dL                      [57-237]
        TEST REPEATED TO CONFIRM

G and M are low, A is normal.

In the G subclass:

IMMUNOGLOBULIN G, TOTAL *402 mg/dL                  [767-1590]
IMMUNOGLOBULIN G, SUBCLASS 1 *198  mg/dL       [341-894]
IMMUNOGLOBULIN G, SUBCLASS 2 *124 mg/dL       [171-632]
IMMUNOGLOBULIN G, SUBCLASS 3 *18.1  mg/dL       [18.4-106.0]
IMMUNOGLOBULIN G, SUBCLASS 4 5.6 mg/dL       [2.4-121.0]

1, 2, 3, are low, and 4 is at the low end of normal.

It all seems so odd to find this at age 69, Irish.  i think my chronic UTI's were caused by this and that led to the antibiotic which gave me PN.

I'm a walking example of technology gone awry.

Except of course not walking very well.

Well that's what took me away from posting to you.

You are our bright and shining star.  I'm sure you're boosting morale for your entire family, and I hope to heavens that your hubby is doing better each minute.

But it is so hard when he can't breathe and you keep hoping for good things to start happening.

And boy do I know what you mean about your man not being one to sit and relax.

I'm the one who does all that in my family.

My husband is currently laying a new hardwood floor in our bedroom, and he's 73.

He can never relax.  Which leads to nice results like floors

But, I don't have a choice today with my OA flaring unbearably.

In fact I have to go rewarm my heating wrap and try to sleep.

Do keep us posted and know that we are all wanting only the best for you and your family.

Hugs

Elaine

Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 07:56:43 PM »
Thanks for the nice well wishes. I really appreciate it. I am getting older, for sure, cause I don't have the reserve capacity that I used to. I don't cope as well---infact I am getting darn good at spacing out at times.

Hubby is doing better. In fact, I go every day and I did his shower the past 2 days and his bed, etc and wait on him. He is very spoiled by having free medical care (hehe) but he knows it. We are both getting more crabby in our old age and I don't like it. I keep telling him that we have both been sick too long, thats why we are crabby!!! So we havae to apologize and hug!! ;D

Caroline, He has had celiac disease and colitis for as long as we have been married which was 1964. He was diagnosed in 1978. He was diagnosed with the low !gG levels in 2009 when I took him to my immunologist to have a check up to see if we were missing anything. The doc was not expecting his levels to be low and it was a shock. Hubby had been having more infections over the years and since diagosis it has been very much ongoing.

I think that the immune issues may have been an inherited(genetic) thing that doesn't kick in until later in life. Probably also related to or affected by the autoimmune issues. He has been in the hospital 5 times in the last 2 years with pneumonia and every time it seems to be worse. This is also because he has the COPD which sets him up for the infections in the first place.

I really think that anyone who has autoimmune disease who is having a lot of infections should have blood work done to check out the immune system. THe autoimmune/immune/allergies are so closely related plus some of this stuff sets us up for the possibility of certain cancers also. Oh joy!!!

I just can't spent too much time thinking cause it wears me out. Heck, if I think I can't do anything else and apparently I think too much cause after 9 years of being on disability I still haven't gotten my house in order. IRish ;D :o :o