Author Topic: How and what can you eatwith SJ  (Read 2005 times)

zaddruga

How and what can you eatwith SJ
« on: February 20, 2012, 09:28:15 PM »
I am a competitive power lifter.  I need to eat a lot especially protein.  But finding eating getting to be harder and harder.  Can't eat white meat chicken, its to dry.  Read meats like steaks or roasts  scratch my tongue which makes my tongue burn.  Can't eat most spicey things or things with lots of salt, again makes my tongue burn.  Stomach doesn't like fatty foods.  So tonight went out to eat at a buffet their was hardly anything their I could eat.  The meats were too spicy.  Finally found some baked chicken drumbsticks but the rest of the meat on that particular pot was white meat.  Tried a piece of turkey breast, easy to swallow but too salty.  So ate lots of rolls and salad, did not get near enough protein into that meal.  I have protein bars that I like but they irritate my tongue when I eat.  So unlike most people I am frustrated that I cannot eat enough to get the weights I am capable of getting.

Corella

Re: How and what can you eatwith SJ
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 10:55:53 PM »
I know the feeling.  Salty foods are out - I literally dry out if I eat them, spicy foods make me feel crap and if I have red meat I seem to hurt a few days afterwards.

And I have to have sauce on everything or I cant taste it.  Being married to a chef is hard, because food no longer excites me.  My sympathies are with you on this one mate. :'(

trejonina

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 01:18:43 AM »
Look up Bill Clinton's vegan diet,he says he takes a protein powder drink in the morning and the rest is fruits and vegetables preferably raw,also venus williams and serena are on the raw food diet ,it heals 82% of heart attack patients( based on dr,Caldwell Esselstyn of the Cleveland Clinic) and a lot of other conditions,from what my friends have told me because they did it an are still vegetarians and raw fruits and veggies lovers.I feel better after eating lots of these too.Try it!

mshistory

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 04:21:47 AM »
What about Protein drinks...even the ones you can get at mass retailers? I just got some Boost with extra protein (I'm trying to gain weight). That might at least help.
SLE and SjS with PN. ANA >1:1280 speckled,
SS-A >8.0, RF positive. Botox for migraines, Clonazepam, Zoloft, Imitrex for migraines, CellCept 1000 mg, Plaquenil 200 mg, Restasis, Zofran for nausea, Gabapentin, Evoxac and Norco for pain.

jodie

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 05:01:11 AM »
I was just about to recommend the protein shakes, too.  When I was dropping weight quickly from inability to eat most anything due to swallowing issues, my GP told me I must get myself on protein shakes.  They are sold all over, some more complete than others as far as vitamins, minerals, fiber, protein etc.  First I got one from the health food store.  Expensive.  Disgusting to drink.  NEXT!  Rite Aid.  Eh.  Then a local supermarket.  Not too bad. 

My doctor told me I could not go without eating because I would not be able to think clearly.  As if I do anyway!!

Good luck!

Jodie 8)

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 07:19:05 AM »
Just walk the cow by me and I will cut my own steak. I will show it a picture of fire and call it cooked. Or you could grind it up and add some spices to it for a raw treat. Maybe I can get some nice blood pie or pudding from my youth. Sweet soup may be nice for treat.

Okay if you know what I am talking about, you are allowed to make a quick trip to the restroom. It is hard to believe what I ate growing up. Mom tried to feed me Haggis once. I was sick for a week.

Years of living with my wife has brought my steak from raw to medium rare. My stomach has not been able to handle those foods since I became a teen. Come to think of I think that is when I had to eat Haggis.

I may have to find other ways to get protein.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

topping21

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 07:23:51 AM »
I dont know how you do it ZAD!!!  I have a baby and it hurts to hold him for a certain amount of time but I do it because he loves to be held.   Here you are powerlifting with SS props to you cause I couldnt do it!!!

zaddruga

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 10:06:42 AM »
I don't have an official diagnosis of Sjorgrens.  I have rheumatoid arthritis and many of the symptoms of Sjorgrens, but not all.  I do a bench press in competition, I am unable to do the other lifts because of the arthritis in my back and hips.  I am a 47 year old women and my maximum bench so far is 210 lbs.

jazzlover

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 01:59:06 PM »
Sjogren's
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

cargillwitch

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 02:27:23 PM »
can you handle eggs? I was eating a ton when I was training last spring/summer. I am vegetarian, so I also did a lot of bean dips and purees.I  am experimenting with cutting back on proteins at the moment as I am beginning to think my body isn't breaking them down properly( gluten and casein are already long gone). At least  for  awhile to see how my body reacts.
keep up the lifting! I think exercise is a great healer!
47 female, Sjogrens ,Raynauds,degenerative disc disease.Rheumatoid Arthritis, gastroparesis.

engy

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 03:44:57 PM »
What about tuna?
I loved tuna until I suddenly now have allergic reactions to fish!!??
DX:Sjogrens w/mild Lupus overlap,Hashi,Celiac,Raynauds,Sm.Fiber Neuropathy,POTS,Fibro.,CFS,OI & other dysautonomia.
No thyroid
Fish/Shellfish Allergy

RX:Plaquenil,Synthroid,LCarnitine,CoQ10,ALA,Dribose,Tumeric/Curcumin, Milk Thistle,AdreneVive,Fish Oil,Flaxseed Oil,Magnesium,B12 shots,vit D & C