Author Topic: lump on the joint of my finger  (Read 25206 times)

smileandbehappy

lump on the joint of my finger
« on: February 14, 2012, 09:17:44 AM »
I don't know whether I'm being silly and whether this is something or not.  I appear to have a lump on the inside joint of my middle finger.   It's hard - maybe a ganglion?  I am not due to see my rheumy until May and don't want to go to my GP.  I live in France and sometimes the language barrier is a little bit of a problem and as my rheumy knows me better I would rather wait to see him but in the meantime I wondered if anyone out there thinks it might be related to sj.  I do take plaquenil but I am down to one dose a day (my wonder drug).   Any advice/ideas would be good. 

artsyamerican

Re: lump on the joint of my finger
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 09:30:21 AM »
I think maybe your right - a cyst or a plantars wart.  But like you said - your doc will know best. : )

A66eyroad

• Be kind to yourself today!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 09:43:25 AM »
Can you move it around or is it immobile? Does it hurt or would it be easy to ignore? Have you recently had any trauma to the area?

My guess would be a ganglion, but I'm no medical person. Is there someone close by who could take a look at it for you? Maybe a nurse or physical therapist you might know? I seem to remember that there's really nothing they do for ganglion cysts anyhow, so if you could satisfy yourself that's what it is it might help you to not worry.

By the way, welcome to the site! I hope you get as much out of it as I have!   :D
Female, 60
Sjogrens and subacute cutaneous lupus. Flu-like symptoms, mouth ulcers, itchy rash, high cholesterol, headache, earache, tinnitis, dizziness. Hangover-like nausea, especially in the a.m.
Plaquenil, Atabrine, DHEA, Aleve, Evoxac, Allegra/Benedryl, Mary's Magic Mouthwash, carafate.

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 10:46:08 AM »
Osteoarthritis can cause small lumps to form on the finger joints. They are called Heberden’s nodes (form on the joints closest to the tip of the finger) and Bouchard’s nodes (closest to the palm).

There are several other causes of "finger joint lumps". This site gives a pretty good description of them: http://www.arthritis-treatment-and-relief.com/finger-joint-lump.html
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

cargillwitch

• cargillwitch
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 03:38:22 PM »
could also be RA.
 have it looked at- (if you aren't already diagnosed with RA) Those of us with Sjogrens are at much greater risk
44 female,Primary Sjogrens ,Raynauds,degenerative disc disease.
gastroparesis.Magnesium citrate, andrenergyn,Valerian,pancreatic enzymes, hydrochloric acid, vit D3,Floradix
www.cargillwitch.blogspot.com

smileandbehappy

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 06:31:36 AM »
thank you so much for all that info guys.  You really don't know how much better I feel.  Sometimes I just feel so alone with this thing. thank you, thank you, thank you.   I'm off to have a look at the info before my hands seize up from using them too much!!

smileandbehappy

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 07:10:53 AM »
I have had a look and it is not a nodule and it is not a ganglion/cyst.   It is hardly noticeable to the eye but I can feel it on the innerside of 3rd PIP.  It is not moveable.  It is hard and the size of a small dry lentil.  We are snowed/iced in at mo and I won't make a specific appointment for the docs but maybe when I go for something else I will mention it.  I just feel like I'm being paranoid and a nuisance with one thing and another.  Whilst it is not hurting me I should just leave it alone but I am curious as to what it is.  Thanks for all your help and welcome gestures. 

Corella

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 07:12:46 AM »
Oh my god I have one of those on the inside of my right thumb, its a hard bony lump and I think I am getting one on the outside of my left thumb, nothing visible but it really hurts, in fact all my fingers hurt and my pinky finger on my left hand is an odd shape and it deffo isnt warts on my hand.

Jenny

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 07:16:59 AM »
I have recently noticed the same thing on 3 fingers. Sometimes they ache and other times I don't even know they're there. I believe I tested positive in blood tests for RA but was always told I didn't have it, only Sjogrens. Hopefully this isn't the beginning.
59 year old female with back, shoulder, neck and knee pain, dry mouth, losing teeth, dry sinuses,Blood test positive for Sjogrens. Secondary Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis .
Plaqenil, Vimovo, Norco, misc.vitamins
4 discs in low back fused. Need knee&shoulder surgeries
4hand surgeries,

smileandbehappy

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 07:44:28 AM »
I found out what my lump is!!!  hurrah.   

It is a nodule on the tendons and my rheumy tells me that it may well start to click and is sometimes known as "droigt a ressort"  which in English is "Trigger finger".

Don't know what I'm "hurrahing" about - its just another thing to add to the list eh.

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 09:23:11 AM »
Dear 'smile and...."

I had a trigger thumb, and had surgery to 'release it'.

Simple, worked a charm.

Good luck.

Elaine
Female-72-CVID-pSJS-IC-Periph.Neuro.-CAD-Osteoarthritis-Auto.Neuro-SFN-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's Blepharitis,Meniere's/Deafness-Hiatal Hernia-IVIG-Gamunex-Medrol-Neurontin,Atenolol-Pilocarpine-Copper-Cymbalta-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-A Lipoic-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-Turmeric-Aleve-D3-Omega3

Gayle

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 10:23:46 AM »
Hi
I have had trigger finger on a couple fingers... can be painful and a real pain in the neck (or hand) but they have gone away on their own. Is this SJS??
Hmmm.. love your 'name'!
Gayle

JakeL

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 01:51:36 PM »
I have had trigger finger.
What a blast?!  ::) It was just a very annoying nuance.

jpd54

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 02:05:26 PM »
I had a trigger finger, but it took a shot on the top and palm of my hand to fix it.  Ugh!!!!  It hurt like  *(#&% but it fixed it.  Now I have a bump on the joint of that finger.  My rheumy told me it was from arthritis. 

Who knows??   I guess everybody gets told something different.

Have a great day!!!

jpd
SJS, Fibro, Osteoarthritis, Osteoporosis, GERD, Rosacea, TMJ

Celebrex, Gabapentin, Lasix, Potassium,Hydroxychloroquine, Lexapro, Metoclopram, Nexium, Oracea, Savella, Simvastatin, Vitamin D, Voltaren