Author Topic: Leaky Gut?  (Read 1089 times)

LouLou1981

Leaky Gut?
« on: February 09, 2012, 01:32:14 PM »
I had a doctor recently suggest I may have what is called a leaky gut and recommended that I take my daily multivitamin in liquid form rather than pill to help alleviate some issues. With all of the medications I take he thinks it will help my body absorb more of the vitamins.

Has anyone else been told that they have a "leaky gut"?

Or tried a multivitamin in liquid form? I know that Centrum has one.
Sjogren's, Raynauds, Fibromyalgia

Plaquenil, Lyrica, Low Dose Aspirin, Trental

A66eyroad

• Be kind to yourself today!
Re: Leaky Gut?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 03:24:27 PM »
I've never heard of "leaky gut." I Googled it and YIKES!

(I take gummy vites.)
Female, 60
Sjogrens and subacute cutaneous lupus. Flu-like symptoms, mouth ulcers, itchy rash, high cholesterol, headache, earache, tinnitis, dizziness. Hangover-like nausea, especially in the a.m.
Plaquenil, Atabrine, DHEA, Aleve, Evoxac, Allegra/Benedryl, Mary's Magic Mouthwash, carafate.

lori

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 04:07:18 PM »
yes I have " leaky gut" this is a holistic dr. diagnosis- the traditional med doctors have no clue about  this diagnosis

all i know is I am being treated for it and it is helping me tremedously. if it hadnt been for a natural approach i would be in trouble. holistic drs have helped where the traditonal meds have failed.

lori

tobewellagain

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 11:37:59 AM »
I was diagnosed with intestinal permeability, aka leaky gut, last summer.  It was by a Dr. at Cleveland Clinic?s integrative Medicine dept.  She put me on a few supplements and they did help.   (I have other issues so I can?t honestly say it ?fixed? my problem but I definitely noticed an improvement.)

I was taking a liquid multi-vitamin called Alive! By Nature?s Way.  It has much more to offer than the Centrum liquid I looked at.  I still take it now, just not in liquid form anymore. 

Winnie

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 12:39:19 PM »
I did research on this topic and believe this is part of my problem but can't find a doctor to support it.  I am in the process of finding out if I have celiac or gluten intolerance and just got off a gluten challenge.  I didn't do very well and now my system is so messed up that I can't drink my lactose, dairy free milk???  Things that I ate when I was gluten free now bother me.  I am starting all over and am considering going to a naturopathic clinic to get allergy testing and a second opinion.   I am not sure if this is a good idea or not but feel that I don't have much to lose, except $$.

Winnie
Sicca Syndrome-Aug 11', osteopenia, IBS-C, gastritis, GERD
Plaquenil, Dexilant, Vit D, Calcium, gluten free, dairy, egg & nut intolerances

tobewellagain

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 02:35:34 PM »
Winnie,

I totally understand your concern about the $$...I've always said it's not that I don't believe in natural medicine, I'd just believe it more if it was covered by my insurance  ;D

My personal opinion, see if you can find Integrative Medicine, they are licensed M.D's that blend traditional medicine with alternative.  Your insurance will usually at least cover the office visit and lab work that's done. (mine did anyways). 

They ran food sensitivity testing on me, blood draw and I came back with some sensitivities I didn't realize I had.  Definitely worth it!  foodallergy.com

Good Luck!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 04:50:08 PM by Linda196 »

cargillwitch

• cargillwitch
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 03:25:35 PM »
oh yes I have have it ! and like lori I have been helped immensely by this model of thinking.I firmly believe all these AI issues are either caused by our inability to process proteins( hence they move through our large intestine and are " attacked" by our immune system) or cause us to have inabilitities to digest nutrients! I take a b12 spray sublingual to bypass the intestine system all together.
Too much damage there for me to be able to absorb it yet.
With so much research currently coming out proving our immune system is primarily rooted in our gut the theory of " leaky gut" becomes more and more likely to me!
44 female,Primary Sjogrens ,Raynauds,degenerative disc disease.
gastroparesis.Magnesium citrate, andrenergyn,Valerian,pancreatic enzymes, hydrochloric acid, vit D3,Floradix
www.cargillwitch.blogspot.com