Author Topic: Chewing gum and dentures  (Read 2132 times)

Katybarstool

Chewing gum and dentures
« on: February 05, 2012, 10:26:34 AM »
Does anyone know which ones will not stick to the teeth? I thought I would give some a try this week, but have now got a layer of gum on my dentures. Any ideas of how to remove it, without damaging the dentures?

Kathyx

Luna

Re: Chewing gum and dentures
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 03:24:58 PM »
I do not have dentures, but do have lots of dental work. I find that I can only chew sugar free gums. They are the only ones that wont stick. What kind did you try?

Luna
Definatly have Sjogrens, everything else keeps changing.
 plaquenil, prilosec,dyflusinal, baclofen and tramadol as needed..

slccom

• Sharon,
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 03:29:06 PM »
I'd call the dentist and ask before I try  anything. There used to be something called Freedent gum. It was supposed to not stick to dental work.
Sharon, 57-YO female, Sjogren's, depression, sicca, ataxia, hard of hearing, neuropathy,  high BP, arthritis, more. Restasis, pilocarpine, Wellbutrin, Lexapro, oxygen, arthrotec, HRT, plaquinel.

Bucky

• Sjogrens Staff
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 03:51:54 PM »
Kathyx - good question, I've wondered about this same thing too.

When I use to have a partial, I did chew the Freedent gum and it didn't stick.  With dentures - I'm not sure.

Why don't you check it out and get back to us.   ;)

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

artsyamerican

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 09:29:54 PM »
Freedent is the ONLY gum I have found that doesn't stick to my dentures.
Hugs,
Amy
Sicca, Seronnegative Inflammatory Spondylarthropathy, MGUS, PN, Tarlov Cysts, Spinal Stenosis, 3 Herniated Lumbar Discs, Type 2 Diabetes

Celebrex, back off Methotrexate, Plaquenil, neurontin, prozac, simvastatin, Metformin, Lisinopril, Vit

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 09:41:31 PM »
You can get the Freedent gum, but I have tried some of the others. I just have to try and see which ones does or not.  I had the same thing happen with one, and just had to pick off a bit at a time the gum. lol...

susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, diabetes, asthma, Polycystic ovaries, and Gerd. Meds - Pilocarpine, Synthroid, Effexor, Cpap, aspirin, Prilosec, Neurontin, Xanax, eye Drops, vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Proventil- Retired Teacher/Disabled

Bucky

• Sjogrens Staff
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 10:15:14 AM »
Kathyx - in the name of Sjoggie testing  ;), I bought some Freedent gum and am chewing it as I type this. 

It's NOT sticking!!   ;D  (I only chew half a piece at a time, but I would "assume" a full stick of gum won't stick either.)

Gosh, I haven't chewed gum in so many years that I can't EVEN remember how long it's been.

My recommendation is to find some Freedent gum (I don't think it's exclusive to the U.S.) and enjoy.   ;D  Hmmm, wonder if they have this in bubble gum?

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)