Author Topic: shingles  (Read 9345 times)

Piebird

Re: shingles
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 12:28:54 AM »
I had shingles last year. The worst for me was the night. Ugh, the pain of having a sheet on me.... I can feel it now. The lightest touch made me cringe.

harlin

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2012, 08:53:12 AM »
Thanks everyone for the great information! I am still having a difficult time. Also especially at night. Mornings are rought also. My pain meds wear off by morning and it takes 3 hours to get them back in my system to work again. I have been in the house 3 weeks today. The pain is not getting any better. I feel for anyone who has to experience the shingles.

Love and blessings, harlin

Katybarstool

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2012, 11:29:45 AM »
Harlin

Three weeks is a long time to suffer from such pain. I was taking amitrtiptyline when I developed shingles, and I'm sure that helped. Could you get your doctor to prescribe some?

Kathyx

harlin

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 11:14:41 AM »
Hi Kathyx
I use to be on Amitriptyline. I am taking Savella now but it isn't working either. I went back to the Gp yesterday in tears from so much pain. She told me to double up on the Horizant and to call her back on Monday if I am not better. So far I am feeling a little better after taking the second one yesterday. It works on the nerves which is I guess what is hurting so much. I wouldn't wish the shingles on my worst enemy (if I had one). They are the most painfull thing I have ever been thru.  :'(

I had so many plans for the winter months after Christmas. I was going to clean out my basement. Now I can't do anything but lay on the bed.

Thanks for everyones help. It is so great to be able to come here and everyone will understand what you are feeling.

Love and prayers, harlin

Katybarstool

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 12:27:01 PM »
Harlin

I'm pleased that the Horizant is helping the pain. Let's hope those horrible nerve pains burn themselves out soon.

Kathyx

Madison Granny

• Keep on fighting and stay strong!!!
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 01:21:48 PM »
Shingles are one if not the most painful things I ever had too.  They didn't use amitriptyline when I had them in 2002.  I sure hope you don't have the neuralgia I still have 10 years later.
Primary SJS, dRTA, Osteroporis, OAB, stage 3 kidney disease, hypothyroid and high blood pressure.  Medicine I take are plaquenil, bicarb, prolia, synthroid, toprol and amolipine, citracal and vitamin D.  I use Arex and Azasite and Prolia.  I also have Reynaud's and osteoarthris of the toes

Katybarstool

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 01:28:58 PM »
I was lucky - I was taking amitriptyline for neuropathy when  got shingles. It must have helped, as my pain seemed a lot less than other people have had to endure.

Kathyx

Bonnie

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2012, 03:33:45 AM »
I have had a few bouts of shingles, they are so painful.  I got them on lower back in a band round to my tummy.  So painful.  When I get another bout I don't get such a large amount, but the nerve pain is just as bad and lasts for months after the rash has cleared.

I wouldn't wish shingles on my worst enemy either

slccom

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2012, 01:49:53 PM »
Harlin, you might want to consider setting your alarm to wake you up to take your pain medication 3 hours before you get up? That is what I did when I had surgery. It is easier to keep the pain down than to get it up again.

Sharon

kellyptyler

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2012, 08:11:19 AM »
I'm so sorry Harlin...Praying you are feeling better..My sister has Sjogrens and Lupus and she gets Shingles..I know she has so much pain from them. Hang in there.

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2012, 08:52:14 AM »
((Harlin)) - how are you today, dear?  I hope bumping your Horizant dosage up has helped you.

Thinking of you and wishing you a good weekend.

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

harlin

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2012, 10:46:58 AM »
Well, thank you all my friends.

The pain is still there, nothing is helping. I have been sleeping a little better tho. I told my husband it feels like a knife is sticking in my chest into my back. I just hope it goes away soon. It really wears on your nerves. All of them.

It has lasted about a month now and I am really sick of it all. You can't sit or laydown. It is really miserable.

I pray that none of my friends out there ever have to get this.

Love and prayers to all, harlin

harlin

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2012, 08:24:16 AM »
Update on my dreaded Shingles,

I thought after Sunday and Monday that I was on the mend and boom. Last night they were every bit as painful as in the beginning. I was up till 2 then back up at 6. I hate taking the pain meds but sometime it is really a must.

Please everyone say a prayer for me that these dreaded things will be gone soon. They are wearing on my nerves!! no pun intended.

Love and prayers, harlin

Jane

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2012, 08:38:31 AM »
I have had chicken pox and shingles.

A66eyroad

• Be kind to yourself today!
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2012, 08:48:22 AM »
Harlin, it's good to see you still have your sense of humor!

I see on WebMD that shingles can last longer if you don't take your medicines, so I was glad to read you're getting medicines regularly.

Holding you in the light, my friend!   :)
Female, 61
Sjogrens, UCTD, and subacute cutaneous lupus. Flu-like symptoms, mouth & nasal ulcers, itchy rash, high cholesterol, headache, earache, tinnitis, dizziness. Hangover-like nausea, especially in the a.m.
Plaquenil, Atabrine, DHEA, Aleve, Evoxac, Allegra/Benedryl, esomeprazole.