Author Topic: shingles  (Read 9338 times)

harlin

shingles
« on: February 02, 2012, 08:41:38 AM »
Hi everyone,
I have been suffering with Shingles for the past 3 weeks. I didn't know nerve pain could be so painful. I have been in the hospital for a couple of days while they checked out my heart. What an ordeal. I went into the ER with pain in my back and around my ribs. They immediately put me on a heart monitor and sent me for a bunch of heart tests. I stayed over night to have a nuclear stress test done. The first test I had done was a profusion test and it showed I had a part of my heart that wasn't getting oxygen. Then they did the stress test and it came back normal. They then released me as they determined it was not my heart. Confusing? Yes with me also. They did not care about anything else except my heart.

I actually cried when they released me as I still didn't know what was causing the pain. The Dr said "Well we did what you wanted, to see if it was life threatening" I said, I did not come in with chest pain, I ask about the pain in my back and around my side. He just didn't care as long as it was not my heart. He also said that they thought it was Rheumatoid related and to go to my Rheumy or my GP. I am still in a lot of pain, a 12 out of 10. MY husband was so upset also. I will never go back to Ruby Memorial again.

I went to my GP the next day and we discovered I was breaking out and she thought sure it was Shingles. She treated me and I went back yesterday for a follow up. I was no better and my BP was only 82/50. she was concerned about that and changed some of my meds. She said I just have a bad case of Shingles and it will take awhile for it to go away. It hurts something terrible.

Have any of you had the shingles?
This is the second time I have had them. They are much worse this time. I now discovered there is a shot to prevent them and I will get this after I am better.

Thanks for letting me vent again,
I am so sick of being sick!!!
Love and prayers, Harlin

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
Re: shingles
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 09:18:40 AM »
A child in one of my classes had chicken pox. The next thing I knew, I was having sever pain and trying to stop puss from dripping into my eyes. I listened to tones and kept a bandage over it until it went away. Now I have a lightening shaped scar that reminded the kids of Harry Potter.

It is very painful when this flairs. Meditation, and sleep seem to help.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

kim31072

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 09:45:56 AM »
Zostavax(the vaccine) is a live virus so be sure thru the dr that you are able to take it.It is not recommended for those who are immune system compromised.

It will not prevent the shingles from reoccurring but might lessen your chances of getting it by up to possibly 50% and perhaps reduce the severity of the episode.

It is also recommended that you wait up to a year after your last episode before you vaccinate according to WEBMD.

Just wanted to make sure you know that it is not a guarantee that they will not reoccur.

I hope you are able to get some rest and hope that you feel better soon.

http://senior-health.emedtv.com/shingles-vaccine/shingles-vaccine.html

Diane54

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 10:07:00 AM »
I had shingles in my middle 20's.....they were around my beltline....it was miserable! I can still remember having nerve pain a good 5 or 6 months after the rash went away. That was the first time I had steroids..........seems like my health as been declining since then!

Good luck and take care of yourself! I can relate to what you are going through!
Sjogren's diagnosed Dec 20, 2010, Hypothyroid, Diabetes 2, Autoimmune Hepatitis, Mitral Valve  Prolapse, Gerds, Antiphospholipid Syndrome,  Synthroid, Paxil, Prilosec, Evoxac, Plaquenil, Tramadol, Simvistatin, Restasis, Baby Asprin, vitamin D, Januvia, Amlodipine, Gabapentine

eyeamdry

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 11:46:24 AM »
I had shingles shortly before I was dx with Sjogrens.  I had it on my shoulder and it went up my neck to my ear and very close to one eye.  It's very serious if it gets to your eyes.  Mine did not get in my eye. I also had in my scalp.  It was horribly painful and luckily my husband had some left over heavy duty pain pills and I took one each night so I got a little sleep.

I was also sick with SJS but did not know it yet.  I was lucly and didn't have any lasting effects.  I understand some have residual pain for months after.  I think mine was 3-4 weeks.  I still somehow think it was connected to the fact that my body was under attack by this nasty disease of SJS.  Lucy

Madison Granny

• Keep on fighting and stay strong!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 01:03:56 PM »
I've had shingles that started in the middle of my forehead and went back on to my scalp.  I was unlucky as it got in my right eye.  Almost lose the vision in that eye.  I didn't ever think of shingles since I was not yet 50.  I didn't go to the doctor for about 2 weeks. I was just going to tough it out.  Shingles is one if not the most painful thing I've ever had.  i got the vaccine about 6 months before I was diagnosed with SJS. 
Primary SJS, dRTA, Osteroporis, OAB, stage 3 kidney disease, hypothyroid and high blood pressure.  Medicine I take are plaquenil, bicarb, prolia, synthroid, toprol and amolipine, citracal and vitamin D.  I use Arex and Azasite and Prolia.  I also have Reynaud's and osteoarthris of the toes

Liz D.

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 04:29:31 PM »
My mother had open heart surgery many years ago and a week later she developed the shingles.  She was in so much pain, she said she would rather go through heart surgery again!  The thought of ever having shingles scares me.   

Harlin, I hope you start feeling better soon.

Liz D.
55 year old female
Sjogrens Syndrome (diagnosed 2004), Hypothryoidism, Asthma, Osteoporosis
Meds:  Plaquenil 400 mg; Synthroid 100mcg; Evoxac, Flovent, Flonase, Protonix 40 mg.,  Prozac 40 mg. Naproxen 500 mg., Hormone Replacement Therapy, vitamins, calcium, flaxseed, biotin

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 06:09:14 PM »
Oh my dearest angels and harlin!

Shingles are terrifying.  If you get them when you are very elderly, they can disable you.  I've seen it happen.

And sometimes the nerve pain doesn't go away, even when the blisters are gone.   The pain can last for years and years.

Sigh

If you've had chicken pox or a cold sore, you are especially vulnerable to shingles.

I have had the singles vaccine, which is only about 50% effective, and costly, about $200.  But I wanted to do whatever I could to keep them from happening to me.

I hope you recover well, harlin.  I'm sooo sorry this has happened to you.

Please keep us posted.

Gentle hugs, or just thoughts of hugs, maybe!

Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

anita

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 06:56:08 PM »
So sorry to hear about this Harlin.  You certainly have had a rough time lately with several things.  I'll be keeping you in my thoughts.
52 yr old SjS, APS w/strokes, Autonomic Neuropathy, PN, Nephrogenic DI, (CVID) IgG def., Cushing's, Asthma, Gastroparesis.  Sero-neg w/+ lip biopsy.  Meds: IVIG & pre-meds, Arixtra, Aspirin, Plaquenil, Cardizem, Toprol XL, Domperidone, Nexium, Midodrine, Symbicort, Fentanyl, Percocet, Zofran

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 07:34:29 PM »
((Harlin)) - sorry you are dealing with shingles.  I've had it before and it's not fun, that's for sure!!

I hope it's almost over running it's course and you will get some relief from the pain.

Hang in there.

Take care.

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

soycoffee

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 09:04:04 PM »
I had shingles about 8 years ago. I was lucky to be able to see my PCP within 24 hours, and get the steroid treatment -- probably Prednisone -- started. Apparently it needs to get started within 48 hours or so, in order to be effective in pretty much negating the pain, though it didn't completely stop the itching.

Mine started across my right side under my right breast, as a bright red rash, that then went around to my back. The noticeable thing was that the rash stopped at the midline, both front and back.

Also, I was working as a reader/grader for an art professor, who got shingles on her face -- also, only on one side of the face, starting as a bright red itchy rash that began to spread and darken.  She also got early treatment, and continued teaching, and the rash cleared up.

I did not get the vaccine, before I got autoimmune diseases. I really don't want to go through that experience again! -- especially now that I don't have immediate access to my doctors -- any of them!

Be aware!
Soycoffee

kim31072

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 06:09:34 AM »
Oh my dearest angels and harlin!

Shingles are terrifying.  If you get them when you are very elderly, they can disable you.  I've seen it happen.

And sometimes the nerve pain doesn't go away, even when the blisters are gone.   The pain can last for years and years.

Sigh

If you've had chicken pox or a cold sore, you are especially vulnerable to shingles.

I have had the singles vaccine, which is only about 50% effective, and costly, about $200.  But I wanted to do whatever I could to keep them from happening to me.

I hope you recover well, harlin.  I'm sooo sorry this has happened to you.

Please keep us posted.

Gentle hugs, or just thoughts of hugs, maybe!

Elaine

Chicken pox and Shingles are both caused by the Varicella Zoster virus.Shingles is in fact reactivation of childhood chickenpox.You cannot get shingles if you havent had chickenpox shingles is reactivation of the virus that has laid dormant since chickenpox outbreak-you CAN get chickenpox from exposure to someone who has shingles if you have NEVER had chickenpox which is why you should avoid children who havent had the chickenpox or the vaccine for it and pregnant women as the fetus is vulnerable if you are broke out-both the shingles and chickenpox are airborne.

Cold sores are caused by the Herpes Simplex virus type 1-genital herpes are caused by Herpes Simplex type 2.The are also both incurable and when they "go away" it is the virus returning to its dormant state.

So having cold sores does not predispose you to shingles-only having had chickenpox and something causing the virus to reactivate.

Both shingles and cold sores are prone to occur when you are ill,have significant sun exposure,stressed,tired or other things that might cause your immune system to dip and allow the virus to pop thru again as the viruses are maintained and suppressed by a healthy immune system.

All three are members of the "herpes" family but are different biologically and the way they are spread.

Meld256

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 08:03:29 AM »
kim,
Thank you for all the valuable information and clarity about shingles. I appreciate it!

dear harlin,

I have not had shingles, but I have a sister-in-law who had a terrible bout with it about a year ago. I suppose it's one of the most painful things to ever have. You know you can always come here to vent away! 

I'm so sorry you're going through this, and hope you can get some relief soon.
Melinda

bsnook

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 01:31:21 PM »
Hi Harlen.

You got a good description of the how and why of shingles from the others.

My mother and I have both had shingles.  I was lucky enough to know what I was getting when mine started.  There is Acyclovir and Zovirax(sp) that are helpful if started right away.  My mom found some relief by drinking a "tea" made of romaine lettuce boiled in water.  Having already seen my mother's issues, I recognized it and had a much easier time.  I keep Acyclovir on hand just in case.  It helps to prevent fever blisters, too.

Good luck and feel better.

Katybarstool

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 01:34:28 PM »
Harlin

I feel your pain! I had shingles in 2010. following two surgeries, and although I think mine was only a mild case, the pain around my breast and back felt intense at times.

I hope you feel better soon.

Kathyx