Author Topic: condition of fingernails  (Read 3378 times)

eye2dry

condition of fingernails
« on: January 23, 2012, 02:35:59 PM »
good afternoon to all

how is the condition of your fingernails? mine  for the last 3 years have been weak with breaking and chipping, they have length wise ridges, but they grow at the same rate.

I take plenty of vitamins and lots of biotin, eat well too. I thought maybe my hypothyroid may be causing it but after 1 year of synthroid..not any better.

those of you with SJS, RA ,Lupus..etc  are your nails healthy?

eye2dry

Luna

Re: condition of fingernails
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 02:40:20 PM »
Mine are dry, length with ridges and start breaking when they get past my finger tips. They also grow with funny/odd shapes. Some dip down, some dip up. Some have waves..

Luna
Definatly have Sjogrens, everything else keeps changing.
 plaquenil, prilosec,dyflusinal, baclofen and tramadol as needed..

DryEyes

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 02:44:19 PM »
My nails develope random white spots with no trauma.  Also I get pitting  but the weirdest of all is the divit in the nail bed right at the cuticle that has turned into a little indent in the formation of my nail on the middle finger right hand.  You could rest a piece of mechanical pencil lead in there quite nice  ( just to give you an idea about the depth) It runs from the cuticle to the tip of my finger.  Also there are other formations which run across my nails like a ridge of swelling.  I read somewhere  these formations are a sign of an once active auto immune response  in the recent past few months.  My nails grow extremely fast along with my hair also

Patze

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 03:06:16 PM »
Hi eye2dry,

Now mine used to be really nice and I could grow them to all kind of lengths and never had a problem.  Then the thyroid quit working and they've been nothing but trouble since.  Besides the lines that you describe, they crack, chip, peel, and have flattened totally out.  I've tried just about everything under the sun, but they never get better.

Here is a picture of how my fingers have flattened out.   http://clinicalposters.com/_Media/fingernail_flat.jpeg

Good luck with yours and I hope that you can find something to help them soon.  If you do, please pass it along! :)

Take care of yourself -

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

newhorizons

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 03:14:04 PM »
It is becoming evident to me that my hypothyroid meds are in the act of either extra dry hair or the fingernails you folks are describing.

With doctor agreeing,  I changed amount of Levoxyl to see what it would do for my hair as it was wiry feeling. Now after six months of taking a higher dose, it is my fingernails that have ridges, breaking off in layers and are thickening at the edges where skin meets nail bed.

My fingernails were growing fine during time my thyroid med had been changed.

Guess I'd rather have my hair back to normal texture and have to give extra care to my nails. Either way it's a downer!! :(

Feel it is connected to Sjogren's and also thyroid... as about 15 years ago my toenails got so thick and I took med orally that was suppose to kill fungal 'stuff'.  Finally, they got in such a bad shape and I spent hours soaking and trying to keep them from becoming infected. So, I had all the toe nails & beds removed...

Now at 69 one of the big toenails is trying to grow back... On other foot toe next to big one has what podiatrist describes as one cell left. Three times now P has tried to get out the root but with no success. :'(

If someone finds something to help with nails, please share.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 03:16:28 PM by newhorizons »

Sooki

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 03:23:47 PM »
My fingernails have the lengthwise ridges - my rheumy said that was a specific symptom.  They grow really fast, thin, and brittle.  If I cut them, they crack.  I have to file them often as they tear if they get too long.  They're so thin, I can read through them (placing a printed page behind them).
65 yo, Sjogren's, Lupus, Hashimoto's, fatigue, MGUS, peripheral neuropathy,
Plaquenil, CellCept, Synthroid,
D3, Ca/Mg, fish oil, ALA, DHEA, biotin, B-12, always GF, DF, S(oy)F, currently Paleo Autoimmune diet

MissyLouWho?

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 03:31:31 PM »
I haven't been diagnosed with SJS yet but have positive ss-b.  Over the last 2 years my nails have been growing M shaped (they come up almost square and dip in the middle), with the thumbnails being most dramatic.  My pinkies are fine, with a nice normal curve.  They have always shredded in layers, and have never grown fast.  The little white moony things near the cuticle are missing from a few of them though. I mentioned it to my dingbat rheumy and she looked and just said "Hmmm..." Not sure what that means.

Duchess

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 03:57:54 PM »
My nails have horizontal ridges. They are slightly clubbed ( due to Raynaud's). I must keep them short or else they become brittle and yucky looking.

Duchess
58 y/o, Sjogren's, Lupus, Raynaud's, Mitral Valve Repair, Asthma, Myofascial Pain. Plaquenil, Inhalers, Ibuprofen,Exovac, Vitamin D, Vitamin B-12, Omega 3, Eye Drops, Quinipril, Massage therapy.

Madison Granny

• Keep on fighting and stay strong!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 04:07:07 PM »
My nail are the pits right now.  I have to keep them quite short or the break off.  I kind of think it may be the cold weather and the heat we have on in the house.  In the summer they grew and were really nice looking even without polish.
Primary SJS, dRTA, Osteroporis, OAB, stage 3 kidney disease, hypothyroid and high blood pressure.  Medicine I take are plaquenil, bicarb, prolia, synthroid, toprol and amolipine, citracal and vitamin D.  I use Arex and Azasite and Prolia.  I also have Reynaud's and osteoarthris of the toes

jazzlover

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 05:23:21 PM »
Sooki and luna .. do you mean vertical ridges?? That's what I have too. Always wondered why! The ridges are mostly on my ring and middle fingers.

Mine are very strong, however. It may be due to my long time ingestion of high quality mangosteen juice. I've taken it for the past 7-8 yrs. The nails get a little squirrelly where the ridges are though.

There was some info on Yahoo Health today about pitting of nails. Maybe I can find it.
Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib, neuropathy, plantar fasciitis

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 06:03:21 PM »
Hi
Before I was on the right dose of thyroid meds my nails were very breaky and tended to flake. All my life, up to that point, I'd had really strong, fast growing nails.

Cutting them back didn't help. They still flaked.

I'm happy to say that now I appear to be on the right dose of thyroid meds my nails have strengthened back up again.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

BarbaraE

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 06:07:44 PM »
Mine have the deep long ridges, dry, brittle, split and tear.  I used to have really pretty hands  :(. Now between the raynauds, dry skin, swollen knuckles and infected cuticles I just want to hide them!

Sooki, did the Rheumy say what it was a specific symptom of?  Auto immune issues in general or a specific disease?  Just curious :)
Many Blessings,
Barbara

Currently taking flexeril, plaquenil, evoxac,  genteel, duexis for pain inflamation and swelling and vitamin D3
Current diagnosis of sjogren's, raynauds, psoriasis, possible mild psoriatic arthritis according to new rheumatologist

Luna

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 07:16:42 PM »
Sooki and luna .. do you mean vertical ridges?? That's what I have too. Always wondered why! The ridges are mostly on my ring and middle fingers.

Mine are very strong, however. It may be due to my long time ingestion of high quality mangosteen juice. I've taken it for the past 7-8 yrs. The nails get a little squirrelly where the ridges are though.

There was some info on Yahoo Health today about pitting of nails. Maybe I can find it.

I mean from the cuticle to the tip of my nail. Length wise..  My middle fingernails and ring ones have more prominant ridges.. But they all have them.

Luna
Definatly have Sjogrens, everything else keeps changing.
 plaquenil, prilosec,dyflusinal, baclofen and tramadol as needed..

mshistory

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 07:26:56 PM »
All of my fingernails have those ridges too - but they've been that way for as long as I can remember, so I had always just assumed it was normal. My nails do break easily, and I have one fingernail that ALWAYS splits at the exact same spot, even though I've tried trimming it down past the split. It's like it grows in with the split. So annoying.

I also take biotin and I think it's helped them grow faster, but I'm not sure they're any stronger.

BTW, my thyroid is actually fine.
SLE and SjS. ANA >1:1280 speckled,
SS-A >8.0, RF positive. Benlysta, Botox for migraines, Clonazepam, Zoloft, Imitrex for migraines, CellCept 1500 mg, Plaquenil 200 mg, Restasis, Zofran for nausea, Gabapentin, Evoxac and Norco for pain.

Sooki

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 07:28:07 PM »
Jazzlover:

Ridges from my cuticle up to the top of the nail.  On my first rheumy visit, before any bloodwork, my rheumy looked at my hands and said that the ridges were symptoms of Sjogrens.  Mine are strongest on ring fingers but all fingers have them.  No change with treatment.  They're so soft, I can make them shorter by scraping away on the top edge with another fingernail.  It's weird.  And so fast growing.
65 yo, Sjogren's, Lupus, Hashimoto's, fatigue, MGUS, peripheral neuropathy,
Plaquenil, CellCept, Synthroid,
D3, Ca/Mg, fish oil, ALA, DHEA, biotin, B-12, always GF, DF, S(oy)F, currently Paleo Autoimmune diet