Author Topic: Your pet's or animals in general! (what makes you happy??)  (Read 4827 times)

Pisces24

Re: Your pet's or animals in general! (what makes you happy??)
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 05:56:20 PM »
I didn't have a pet for a long while but after my last parent, mother, died - coming home to an empty house was just too durn hard. Pets help you "come out of yourself" so to speak and also make you take better care of yourself for their sake. 8)

I got 5 cats. Jiggs: grey male whom I got at 5 wks old (supposedly 8wk  ::)  brat), LilliBelle: blck/white female from a no kill shelter Miss Southern Comfort, Rosie aka Rosebud stray whom I rescued in 2003 right before winter set in "tiny gal only 5lbs" pesty, Tessa: whom I got from a nokill shelter in MN who is afraid of strangers and took a long while to be ok w/me. Now bosses me like a drill sargent. Kitty w/the heart of a lion And finally Augie aka Augie the Mush: stray I rescued who loooooves all people but due to being a stray is cautious.

It is so funny when they decide to run through the house like the Hounds of Hades are after them. A few times they have leaped over my lap in the chair just like I am just another pc of furniture.  ;D  I am solo so it is nice to have some "soul" to come home to that misses you and you can interact with. Just durn I wish their life health span was a lot longer.!

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 06:19:55 PM »
I no longer have any pets. I feed about 50 birds, most sparrows, three jays, a couple of cardinals, on falcon. Three squirrels steal food from the birds. On cat tries to get the birds but does keep mice down.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

eyeamdry

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 08:58:47 PM »
We do not have pets ourselves, but we have a new grand-dog.  My daughter had two cats who were from the same litter and tey lived to be 19 1./2 and 20 years old and died about two years ago.  She was devestated.  She lives by herself so pets are an important part of her life. 

She picked out a rescue puppy about 6 months ago.  The pup is a mixed breed but similar to a Jack Russell terrier which I think is the dominant breed.  My daughter paid $70 to send away and have the dogs DNA tested.  It comes back and tells what 3 breeds are dominant in the dog.  What a waste of money.  We like her to bring the dog, Kaiya, over when she comes.  The house looks like a bomb shelter afterwards.  She especially likes "grandpa" because he plays and teases her and then they get tired and take a nap together in his recliner.  Pup loves gramp's belly as a pillow.  I must say that we get lots of laughs from our grand-dog.

Carebear

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2012, 09:21:07 PM »
I don't know what I would have done without the love of Andy, a little Chihuahua Pug cross.   I found him running around our street two years ago, and after no one claimed him at the pound, we brought him home.  I call him my angel dog because he came into my life when I was at my sickest.  He helped me heal.  ;D

And then there's Corky.  Strong, athletic and sensitive.  A Lab Sheppard cross.  Rescued him too, eleven years ago.  He is my protector.   ;D

Last, but not least, we have Molly the budgie.  What a character.  She loves to fly around her room, and listen to Enya (but who doesn't?...Enya I mean, not the flying).
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

Sooki

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 08:23:28 PM »
I had a big orange guy cat for about 8 years named Evinrude.  He used to drape himself over the shelf above my desk when I worked.  He'd come running to me when I went out in the yard. We were pretty close.  He died of lymphoma and I thought of getting another cat to replace him, but we had two other cats we love, but who aren't the same company that Evy was. 

So after our kid went off to college, and my husband got sick and was bedridden and sleeping for about 3 months (he's all better now), I figured it was time for a puppy.  We needed someone in the house who would be reliably happy always.  So we got a goldendoodle puppy.  She's 2 1/2 now and about 40 pounds.  Happy all the time, as wished for.  Her only crimes are crimes of enthusiasm.   Smart, funny, goofy, sensitive, cuddly, likes to run.  We got it all.

And now the bed, which seemed so big before, has, besides the two of us, two curled-up cats and a dog who likes to stretch out, who all play turf wars on the mattress.  Cold at night is not an option.
68 yo, Sjogren's, Lupus, Hashimoto's, fatigue, MGUS, peripheral neuropathy, ocular rosacea
Plaquenil, CellCept, Synthroid, Atorvastatin, Xiidra, doxycycline, D3, biotin, B12, ALA, DHEA, Ubiquinol, CPAP, D-mannose, Paleo AIP, fish oil, Cliradex wipes

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2012, 09:00:13 PM »
As I type my big white cat Charlie is laying on my lap. Got him from my teaching days at the high-school from a student who was sick. He is the best kitty we could ever have.

Out brother and sister pair, Buddy (cardigan corgie shepard) Matilda (Australain Shepard/?) are both so sweet and unique. Buddy stays inside more than the rest since someone shot him, and left him blind, and Matilda our 50 pound car rider.(she loves riding in the car with us, getting a burger, followed by a cup of soft serve icecream).

Two kids of Matilda and ? (but not anymore, all are spayed and neutered for a long time now) Li'l Anne and Jo Jo.

Jo Jo is the only one with long legs, and never makes a sound unless someone around then will bark. Not sure what type he is, but he looks like a gentle wolf with such deep precious unforgettable eyes. He does talk with his eyes. His favorite thing to do is sleep with us at night, and his least favorite thing to do is get in a car. (he had been hit by a car) made his way to a church, until we got there. :)

Then there is Li'l Anne, she is part golden retriever and part vocalist I think. lol....She never stops talking. She hits up against the screen door in the summer for all of them to say they are hot and want in.

She wimper talks when she is hungry for something different than what is in her bowl. She wimpers when she wants attention. (and I mean a wimper type talk I have never heard before)  :D

Her hair grows on the outside of her legs that looks like she is wearing chaps and bowl legged.  :) She also always looks like she is wearing eye makeup. She is the most independent one, and does what she needs to do when she needs to do it. She is precious, and adorable as they all are. Oh, her sleep very tactile.

She has to sleep up against something, but not us. Her feet will be in the air pointing like wonder woman in flight.

No, we don't like animals. ;)

susanep :)

Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

Meld256

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2012, 02:22:58 PM »
susanep,

I can tell there's no love for animals in your house!  ;D Sounds like us...

I think my family are animal lovers. My oldest son has 2 cats: Vincent Price and Peter Lorrie.  ;)  My younger son, who has 3 stepchildren,  has a Lab, a hamster and a frog.  Our daughter and her husband had a cat (Kitty) and a ferret, but sadly had to give them to friends when they moved to a new apt.

Since the children are grown and gone, my husband and I have our "hairy little boy", Shakka, a 3-yr-old silver-grey Shih Ztu.  We had a wonderful little dog, Sandy, for 13 years who passed from kidney issues. I never thought I wanted another dog.   2 years ago when some friends moved and had to find Shakka a home, they asked us first and we took him in. 

That was such good timing...when I've had my worst days, he's always ready to curl up by my side. He's very "snuggly" and seems to know when I feel badly.

He goes to sleep under the foot of our bed, but some mornings when I awake (after my husband has gone to work) I find Shakka laying on top of the comforter beside me, flat on his back, sound asleep with four paws in the air.  :D 

engy

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2012, 04:48:10 PM »
Awww, these posts are so sweet to read!

Meld, I love when dogs (&cats) lay flat on their backs with their legs up! It's hysterical looking but also shows how much trust & security they have to be in such a vulnerable position.

My great dane, Callie (saved from the animal shelter at 60 lbs  :'( now a happy 110 lbs) lays on her back like that on the floor, when she sprawls all out shes so darn long! I need to post a pic! She's the sweetest most lovable dog who thinks she can be a lap dog. She has a mattress on the floor in our bedroom for at night.

I love pets ;D
Carie
DX:Sjogrens w/mild Lupus overlap,Hashi,Celiac,Raynauds,Sm.Fiber Neuropathy,POTS,Fibro.,CFS,OI & other dysautonomia.
No thyroid
Fish/Shellfish Allergy

RX:Plaquenil,Synthroid,LCarnitine,CoQ10,ALA,Dribose,Tumeric/Curcumin, Milk Thistle,AdreneVive,Fish Oil,Flaxseed Oil,Magnesium,B12 shots,vit D & C

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 06:39:07 PM »
engy that is so cute. It seems like it doesn't matter how big they are they still think they are lap dogs, and they are no different than a tiny dog.

susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

Meld256

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2012, 02:55:00 AM »
Yes, engy and susanep

I think it's cute when our dogs and cats lay flat on the back, too. I can just imagine the Great Dane sprawling out!  That must be a sight.  :)

I love hearing about everyone's pets.  They add so much joy to our lives.

A66eyroad

• Be kind to yourself today!
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2012, 08:23:14 AM »
I leave cat food outside on the back stoop for whatever animals come along. One evening I saw three stray cats eating... but wait! The one in the middle has a weird tail. Good grief, it was an opossum!

One Friday night it was raining like crazy outside for the thrid day in a row. (Welcome to East Tennessee in January!) When I went to leave some food on the porch I saw a tiny white fuzzball of a dead kitten lying in the flowerbed. It was so muddy and raining so hard that I didn't want to squish my way across the driveway to get it, so I decided I'd pick it up in the morning.

The next day I took a plastic WalMart bag out to pick it up with. As it was lying in my hand it started to move! OMG it was still alive!

I ran to the bathroom and filled the sink up with nice warm water.  I washed the kitty off - it was a disgusting mess of mud and yukkiness. I leaped into the car and careened to the vet who gave shots and hydrated the kitty and sold me some expensive food and kitty milk.

Because the cat's dominant color was green, I named him Mossy. I didn't expect him to live very long, but I babied him along and he got stronger and stronger.

Now he's six years old and healthy. He's a sweet and beautiful white and brown Himalayan Ragdoll with blue eyes and a fluffy brown tail. Because he was mostly dead all night, though, he's a little brain damanged. He's cross-eyed and runs into the furniture sometimes. I think he sees double because sometimes he'll cock his head a certain way so as to look with just one eye.

Mossy is the nicest cat I've ever had! He loves to be cuddled -- I often hold him in my arms upside down just like a little baby! -- and he never scratches or bites or gets hissy. He loves to sleep in the bathroom sink. He has a tiny little voice and only says mew if his water bowl is empty.

But boy, that fuzz bucket can sure shed!  ;)
Female, 61
Sjogrens, UCTD, and subacute cutaneous lupus. Flu-like symptoms, mouth & nasal ulcers, itchy rash, high cholesterol, headache, earache, tinnitis, dizziness. Hangover-like nausea, especially in the a.m.
Plaquenil, Atabrine, DHEA, Aleve, Evoxac, Allegra/Benedryl, esomeprazole.

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2012, 07:01:12 PM »
The birds (30) were sitting in the bushes starring at the feeder. I was about two hours late.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

newhorizons

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2012, 09:13:48 PM »
What makes me feel content and wanted? To have the opportunity to carry one at a time my 11 year old sister "kitties' and bury my nose in her fur and hear purring as I hold her  close to my chest and kiss each good night. Placing one at a time on top basement step and saying, "I love you; see you in the morning." and hearing their cat talk reply as they both turn and lovingly look back as they descend the stairs to each's chosen sleeping spot.

Only these two remain out of a litter of 5...  Precious, precious, my precious Rose and sweet Marianne.

Many a day they help me to make my One Day At A Time challenge... making it well lived and worth looking forward to new horizons tomorrow. Now all Sjoggie friends here have just had a glimpse into my new year as last week was my 69th birthday.

Truly a day well lived, makes a day of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope!

Goodnight my friends and trust tomorrow will be a better day for all.  LOL, Joy

Meld256

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2012, 02:44:26 AM »
newhorizons,

Thank you for sharing with us about your dear Rose and Marianne.  Our sweet pets really add joy to our lives...and let me wish you a belated Happy Birthday!  ;)

I hope your day is a good one.
Melinda