Author Topic: Moving maybe to SC  (Read 1778 times)

angielyn

Moving maybe to SC
« on: January 02, 2012, 12:39:56 PM »
We're thinking of moving to SC from PA. My daughter is moving in about a year and wants us to follow. She's looking to moving to Greenville, SC area. My issue is of course weather. I'm not taking any medications as of yet so not sure that would effect how weather effects me or not. So many what if's  >:( I'm not dx with Sjogren's yet either but a few Dr's "suspect" uhhh...

For me summer is a nightmare. Heat bothers me but humidity is what kicks me to the floor. I have to stay in the AC or I feel like I'm going to just pass out and or die. It's as if I can not cool myself off. I don't sweat so that seems to be my big issue. But then winter comes along and I get a whole other set of issues. This is when my dryness issues start more so then normal, joint pain etc.

Anyone have any input on the weather between the two? I've never been in SC so I have NO idea what it's like or any input, thoughts or ideas???

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
Re: Moving maybe to SC
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 03:57:37 PM »
Dear Angielyn:

Check out this site:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Greenville-South-Carolina.html

This has weather data a ways down the page.

You can then compare that data with the data for your city in PA.

I can tell you that it is hot hot hot and very humid.

The humidity here in NC just about does me in every summer, and summer lasts from April to October or later.

Keep us posted.

Hugs

Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

smallfry

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 04:39:34 PM »
Living with Sjrogens and finding the Ideal place to live, where it's not too hot in summer and not too cold in winter would be like a dream come true.

All the best with your move.

Cheryl

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 05:51:22 PM »
Well, I think Hawaii or San Diego are the ideal places weather wise.

Tho' El Paso Texas was pretty good with 80% sun and no humidity.  High dessert, at 4000 feet.

But not really in this country, and the third poorest county in the USA.

However, the safest city of its size in the USA.  Go figure

Hugs

Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

angielyn

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 06:00:32 PM »
We use to live in Rehoboth Beach, DE which I didn't really mind much living there. I guess the breeze from the Ocean helped a lot. Don't get me wrong, they have some hot icky days. But, the breeze usually helped some.  And it does get cold but nothing like up here in PA and very little snow normally. Sometimes I wonder if what bothers me compared to DE is the fact that there is no air movement, what moves here is hot icky air? LOL I have NO idea. I just know I was not this bad when we lived there :/

Maybe a vacation is in order this summer... could be one long torture drive for the hubby just to experiment LOL

I'll check out that website to compare both areas, thanks for sharing the link!

angielyn

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 12:25:30 PM »
After my ordeal today... South Carolina or any southern state is looking REAL good! lol Our temp. today is -2 (what it feels like anyhow) froze the gas line on my car so it won't start... then of course my hubby thinks I'm stupid and just let it run out of gas. NOW I am forgetful but when I have those moments which yes I have been diagnosed with cognitive disorder, but anyhow I don't and won't drive when I'm feeling "off". Sooo anyhow, he gets his cousin to come bring gas. Guess what.... IT DON'T START! LOL No one listens to me  :-[ And now from messing around outside to help his cousin try and get my car started with gas it didn't need my ear hurts terrible bad and trying to thaw myself out which doesn't seem to be working  >:(

lighthouse33

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 11:32:13 AM »
We moved to NC (one hour south of Raleigh) from OH in 1999.  In January of 2000 we had 22 inches of snow!  No snow blower, shovel, nada. 

The last two summers we have had many days were temps were over 90 and 100.  The last two winters have been brual with the cold. 

When I get overheated it makes me very sick with the Sjogren's.  During the winter the cold makes my neuropathy awful - another gift from the Sjogren's if only it would be 60 degrees all the time.  You say why am I suffering when I can stay inside with the air conditioning and the heat, read on.

My dad explains it this way - The heat pump systems they install in the South do not work like the furnaces they put in in the North.  If the temperature rises above 90 and especailly 100 they do not cool the house.  My bedroom is upstairs and I run a ceiling fan, an electrical fan and the AC and I'm still dripping sweat and suffering big time.  It's one big sickfest! 

During the winter if the temperature drops below freezing and especially below 20, they don't heat the house.  The last couple of nights I've had a blanket, a bed spread, and a heavy throw on my bed.  Still cold.

I think this is ridiculous but it is what it is.  I wonder what the people out in AZ do with their 120 degree temps.  Just something to keep in mind if you move down here.
Female
Primary Sjogren's, polyneuropathy, endomitriosis, dietary fructose intolerance
Plaquenil, Lyrica, Tramadal, Omeprazole, Fortical, fish oil, flaxseed oil, benefiber, centrum chewable mulitviitamin, caltrate chewable 600 D+minerals, WSN Nerve Support Formula, Align, Biotene Products

eye2dry

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 02:43:01 PM »
Hi Angielyn.

How wonderful to be able to live in South Carolina. It's doubly nice you'll have one of your children there. We have spent many great vacations there. I love Charleston especially.

But back to the south and sjogrens. For me, I love the humidity..it is great for my eyes and skin and respitory tract...just like the humidifier in my bedroom.

Two years ago  before my SJS diagnosis and therefore no medications...I found the heat of summer in Ohio unbearable. But I found that if I did my outdoor things early in the am or pm, it wasn't bad. In the afternoon I just sit in the shade with cool clothes and plenty of fluids.

This past summer (2011) I had an easy time. Don't know if it's attributed to my medications or not...no over heating happened. I am like you..I do not sweat any longer.

I hope if you move there that you'll reap the benefits of the humidity. We would move south if I could take our 2 daughters and 2 grandkids with us (sons in laws too).

Hope  all works out best for you.

eye2dry