Author Topic: Do a lot of us have sulfa allergies?  (Read 17349 times)

aussie mum

Re: Do a lot of us have sulfa allergies?
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2012, 03:10:03 AM »
You can add my daughter to the list, although her reaction did not appear until day 8.
It was very nasty.

My mum is also allergic, and they are both the same blood group. O Neg.

I have also read on the www that people with Lupus should not take Sulfa medications - I wonder why.
Daughter - SJS, Lupus, Underactive Thyroid, Wolff Parkinson White Syndrome & Insulin Resistance.

Me - Ankylosing Spondylitis, Total Thyroidectomy, Endometriosis, Adenomyosis, High Blood Pressure, Hiatus Hernia, Dry Eyes & Mouth, Stomach Issues, Enbrel, Thyroxine, Atacand, Pariet, Krill Oil, Vit D

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2012, 12:10:10 PM »
I read that 30% of people with Lupus have allergy to sulfa.

http://www.lupus.org/webmodules/webarticlesnet/templates/default.aspx?a=93&template=print-article.htm

So it stands to reason the same might apply to those with Sjogren's.

Hugs

Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

P.Trish

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2012, 03:22:38 PM »
About five years ago, my doctor gave me bactrum for bronchitis.  A few hours later, I was being driven to ER in an ambulance (stroke-like symptons).  It was an allergic reacton to sulfa.  Also, on the way to the hosp, one of the ETs said ' Why would a dr give her bactrum for bronchitis?!)
female dx'd Jan 2012, English/Drama Teacher: retired, plaquenil 400mg, aspirin 80 mg, Lisinipril 20mg,  fish oil, multi vitamins, methyl pred  pack (every 2 months) evoxac, d-mannose, biotin, gluten free
. Stroke survivor  'Have a heart that never hardens and a touch that never hurts" (Dickens)

Patty

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2012, 04:25:12 PM »
Yes - I took it bactrim for years but became allergic to it this year. Dx'd with Sjogrens this year too.

artsyamerican

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2012, 05:58:00 PM »
Definitely! Sulfa drugs make my mind go whacko to the max!! Go figure!

sunkissed64

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2012, 11:33:55 PM »
I was prescribed sulfa back around the time I was diagnosed with both Sjogrens and Rheumatoid Arthritis. Had horrible reactions to it fever, terrible chills, very bad hives all over, 'sunburned' face etc. Steer clear of sulfa if you have auto immune issues.

Sunny

susan

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2012, 10:33:59 AM »

Add me to the list of folks allergic to sulfa. Also penicillin, flagyl, levaquin.
Sjogrens, Stills disease, Acromegaly, Interstitial cystitis

Plaquenil, Prednisone, Octreotide injectable, Crestor, Xanax

Skylar

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2012, 01:03:19 PM »
I'm surprised by these results - I'm also allergic to sulfa meds. I know that approximately 3% of the general population is allergic to them.

Sleepy In Seattle

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2012, 01:32:36 PM »
Yup, me too. Not aware of any other antibiotic allergies, but I have known of a Sulfa allergy since I was 18 (I'm 43 now) - horrible rash around my mid-section.

Most antibiotics make me HORRIBLY sleepy/fatigued/mildly feverish - but it beats having a stupid UTI.... ::)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Raynaud's, APS
Fatigue, Brain Fog, Autoimmune Hearing Loss, joint/muscle pain, dry mouth, clots in retina, etc
GF, "semi-Paleo" diet, Supplements, Plaquenil 400mg/day, Aspirin 325mg/day (for APS), Methotrexate 7mg/2x per week, Prednisone 3.5mg/day