Author Topic: Do a lot of us have sulfa allergies?  (Read 17345 times)

cat

Re: Do a lot of us have sulfa allergies?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 05:21:33 PM »
I am allergic to sulfa and flagal.
Cat

eye2dry

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 05:49:01 PM »
I had a UTI last year, went to my gyn. for help, she prescribed a full course of Bactrim DS ....a few weeks later I had blood drawn d/t taking methotrexate and plaquenil and my WBC was way too low and I had to go off methotrexate for nearly 2 months to bring my WBC back up.

My rheumy says of all the antibiotics NOt to take with methotrexate---stay away from Bactrim. he said Bactrim really suppresses your blood cell formation in the marrow.

Apparently my gyn. never knew that. Whats worse is that the Bactrim didn't work and I had to end up taking amoxicillin next,  my digestive system was in a uproar.

Say no to antibiotics if you can.
Stay healthy everyone!

eye2dry

Autoimmunity

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 07:12:07 PM »
Hi All,

I've recently had 2 doctors prescribe Bactrim (a sulfa drug) for me, and I was reluctant to take it because I read that 30% of Lupies are allergic to sulfa meds...and since Sjogren's is serologically similar, it made me nervous...

But finally I took it, because I figured if 2 different doctors prescribed it, it must be ok...and the nurse said it was ok. Everything WAS ok...until day 7...when I spiked a 103 (yes!) fever, developed swollen lymph nodes, joint and muscle pain, sunburned-looking face, and a red splotchy rash all over my body. (And to add insult to injury, I'm heading to the dentist later this afternoon because I think I cracked a molar from my teeth chattering so violently.)

I want to scream "I told you so!" but I'm also mad at myself because I wasn't my best advocate. I did search on this site before I took it and didn't see where a lot of people said they had problems, so I thought it would be a good topic.

As a side note, in the past 2 years I went from having no allergies to developing a severe allergy to floroquinolones, reacting to the flu shot twice (when I never had before), and developing a rare side effect (folliculitis) from B-12 injections. And now this.  :-\

Anyway, as I lay here recovering, I'd love to hear about your experiences with sulfa drugs. Thanks so much!   :)

Suzy

Both myself and my sister are allergic to bactrim.  Hives head to toe, cold sweats, fever, severe exhaustion, etc.  Several years back my son was at his grandparents, got hurt, needed to go to the urgent care and got a tetanus shot and a prescription for bactrim which he later brought home for me to fill.  I called the urgent care and said no way!  Clearly a sensitivity in my family and wasn't going to risk my child taking that.  Made them change it to a different antibiotic.  I'm sure they thought I was an idiot, but oh well, didn't care.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 08:35:38 PM »
I am also allergic to sulfa and penicillin and rifampin and can't take levoquin due to CNS side effects.

In answer to your question, yes, people who have autoimmune disease do have more allergies because the immune system and the autoimmune issues are very closely related.

Also, if you do any searches on lupus you will see that people with lupus have a high incidence of sulfa allergy. I was doing fine with it until I had my teeth pulled and needed antibiotics. Got a really weird rash high up on both thighs. My immunologist told me to never take it again.

It is nerve wracking to say the least when we have these sudden new allergic reactions. I carry an antihistamine pill called Xyzal *prescription) and any time I start to itch and get the red blotches I take one of these pills. I think that it halts the reaction and in doing so helps to prevent me from being more sensitive than I am.

I am of the opinion that once your body learns to cause the histamine release (which causes the rashes/hives, etc and itching) it become much easier the next time. Stopping it ASAP sort of stops it in its track. I would hate to think how bad it would get if I didn't do this---had one really bad allergic reaction to a IVIG product with hives over all my body. Irish ;D

sewandsew

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 09:19:34 PM »
Yes, me too.  No sulfa.  It caused an all-body rash.

Sjoggie2

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2012, 09:25:11 PM »
Also allergic to sulfa meds!  Hives, lobster face and also got severe kidney infection from it last time I took it!  Maybe something to this thread!

Pisces24

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 06:00:48 PM »
Guess I was lucky with the sulfa.  :-\  I had it in an antibiotic. I was just fine for 8 days, the 9th day I broke out in hives from my knees down - especially around my ankles.

I went to the dr the 10th day as to the med didn't seem to help the sinus infection I had and I "just mentioned" that while I was here I must have got into something as I has a rash. He took one look at it and told me I was allergic to it.
That started me to read the brochures on allergies and side effects of ANY medication I was taking or about to take. So I guess I learned.

BTW: I found this out about 10 yrs prior to having problems that sent me on my 6 yr journey to a Sjogrens diagnosis.

sewandsew

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2012, 06:57:32 PM »
Now I am wondering:  Is it just us with AI disease or are lots of people problemed by sulfa?

Carebear

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2012, 07:14:42 PM »
I took sulphasalazine for six months, with no allergic reaction.
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

slccom

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2012, 08:17:01 PM »
If 30% of people react negatively, that means that 70% don't. It was not irresponsible of the doctors to try the medication, and you are unlucky enough to be among the minority who do react. I am among the 70% -- a very significant majority.

Needless to say, don't take it again!

The blisters can be symptomatic of Stevens Johnson Syndrome, which can be very serious. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001854/

soycoffee

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2012, 10:50:44 PM »
Add me to the list of people with Sjögren's and an allergy to sulfa drugs (probably Bactrim).

oescharao

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2012, 01:00:31 PM »
This topic really caught my attention! My family has a history of sulfa allergies. My mom, dad and sister are all allergic to sulfa medicines, though I've never been tested. It would be interesting to see if I'm allergic too...

~Eschara

BarbaraE

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2012, 05:10:58 PM »
Hi,
I just joined and introduced myself on the other topic board.  I am highly allergic to sulfa drugs and several other classes of antibiotics.

valene2009

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2012, 06:15:34 PM »
im allergic to sulfa meds-have been since i was a teen. intersting

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2012, 07:14:47 PM »
Is it time we start a pole so we can get some statistics?
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism