Author Topic: Do a lot of us have sulfa allergies?  (Read 17340 times)

Suzy

Do a lot of us have sulfa allergies?
« on: January 17, 2012, 07:28:40 AM »
Hi All,

I've recently had 2 doctors prescribe Bactrim (a sulfa drug) for me, and I was reluctant to take it because I read that 30% of Lupies are allergic to sulfa meds...and since Sjogren's is serologically similar, it made me nervous...

But finally I took it, because I figured if 2 different doctors prescribed it, it must be ok...and the nurse said it was ok. Everything WAS ok...until day 7...when I spiked a 103 (yes!) fever, developed swollen lymph nodes, joint and muscle pain, sunburned-looking face, and a red splotchy rash all over my body. (And to add insult to injury, I'm heading to the dentist later this afternoon because I think I cracked a molar from my teeth chattering so violently.)

I want to scream "I told you so!" but I'm also mad at myself because I wasn't my best advocate. I did search on this site before I took it and didn't see where a lot of people said they had problems, so I thought it would be a good topic.

As a side note, in the past 2 years I went from having no allergies to developing a severe allergy to floroquinolones, reacting to the flu shot twice (when I never had before), and developing a rare side effect (folliculitis) from B-12 injections. And now this.  :-\

Anyway, as I lay here recovering, I'd love to hear about your experiences with sulfa drugs. Thanks so much!   :)

Suzy

susan

Re: Do a lot of us have sulfa allergies?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 09:33:56 AM »

I have several antibiotic allergies, including sulfa. I didn't know "we" are more likely to react!
Sjogrens, Stills disease, Acromegaly, Interstitial cystitis

Plaquenil, Prednisone, Octreotide injectable, Crestor, Xanax

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 10:36:04 AM »
Sulfa, I try to stay away from it.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Jellyb

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 10:40:42 AM »
I am fine with sulfa but I am veryallergic to the flu shot. Thimerosol and egg allergy

mshistory

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 11:09:24 AM »
I'm allergic to sulfa and had the exact same skin reactions you described - lobster red face and splotchy itchy rash every where else (especially my back). Had that reaction when I was 19, and I was dx with SjS at 32.
SLE and SjS with PN. ANA >1:1280 speckled,
SS-A >8.0, RF positive. Botox for migraines, Clonazepam, Zoloft, Imitrex for migraines, CellCept 1000 mg, Plaquenil 200 mg, Restasis, Zofran for nausea, Gabapentin, Evoxac and Norco for pain.

artsyamerican

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 11:15:53 AM »
Sulfa is evil!! I knew it gave me horrible stomach pains in the past but my Rheumy put me on sulfasalazine and my head and ears felt like they were going to explode! ICKK never again.

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 12:36:36 PM »
Became allergic to Sulfa in 1999.  Since then the list has grown by leaps and bounds.

Well some things produce true allergic reactions, and other produce 'side effects' which isn't exactly the same, but what the heck!

Sulfa was a good drug in its day.

All drugs have downsides.

Living has a downside.

C'est la vie.

Hugs

Elaine
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 02:59:38 PM by Carolina »
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

Sooki

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 12:37:11 PM »
Yup.  Allergic reaction to sulfa drugs.
68 yo, Sjogren's, Lupus, Hashimoto's, fatigue, MGUS, peripheral neuropathy, ocular rosacea
Plaquenil, CellCept, Synthroid, Atorvastatin, Xiidra, doxycycline, D3, biotin, B12, ALA, DHEA, Ubiquinol, CPAP, D-mannose, Paleo AIP, fish oil, Cliradex wipes

Iris

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 12:58:27 PM »
Not me.. I'd rather have it that any other antibiotic.. All the others give me a yeast infection and sulfa doesn't..

I went to my doc a few years ago for strep throat and they gave me a double penicillin shot.. I was back in less than a week with double pneumonia and an oral candida infection that hurt twice as bad as the strep did..
Sjogren's Syndrome, fibromyalgia, essential tremor, RLS, degenerative disc disease, gastritis, Ischemic colitis, heart disease.
Lisinopril, Pantoprazole, Ranitidine, Plavix, Diltiazem, Simvastatin, Magnesium, Aspirin, pain meds, serum tears, fish oil

engy

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 01:17:12 PM »
Not me but hubby almost had irreversible kidney damage because of it. He doesn't have Sjogrens but doctors said blood relatives usually are so be careful if you are or family members, I gotta remember for my daughter.
DX:Sjogrens w/mild Lupus overlap,Hashi,Celiac,Raynauds,Sm.Fiber Neuropathy,POTS,Fibro.,CFS,OI & other dysautonomia.
No thyroid
Fish/Shellfish Allergy

RX:Plaquenil,Synthroid,LCarnitine,CoQ10,ALA,Dribose,Tumeric/Curcumin, Milk Thistle,AdreneVive,Fish Oil,Flaxseed Oil,Magnesium,B12 shots,vit D & C

Winnie

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 01:31:44 PM »
I am allergic to Bactrim (sulfa).  I had an reaction to it in college when taking it for a bladder infection.  I had a rash and severe stomach pains.  I am also allergic to tobradex so no one will give me any type of ingestible steroid anymore.  Maybe sulfa is a sensitive drug that give reactions to people in general??  Maybe our ancestors had too much sulfa and now our bodies can not handle it??

Winnie
Sicca Syndrome-Aug 11', osteopenia, IBS-C, gastritis, GERD
Plaquenil, Dexilant, Vit D, Calcium, gluten free, dairy, egg & nut intolerances

Katybarstool

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 01:47:36 PM »
I'm not sure, but I think this is the drug I took for an infection in my nose, and it made me itch horribly.

Kathyx

angels04

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 02:56:39 PM »
yup Im allergic to it to. Took sulfasalazine several years ago for crohns ended up with blotchy rash all over body..

anita

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 03:03:53 PM »
YES.  It was my first medicine allergy.  Broken blood vessels everywhere.

I can no longer tolerate any antibiotics though.  I get a strange reaction that has to be related to Sjogren's because it causes fluid filled blisters on ALL mucus membranes...including down the airways.  Every one of them I've tried since 1998 has done this...even brand new drug classes.  In emergencies I have taken Z-pack because it's only 5 days.  The blisters start but I stop it soon after.  Then it takes a week for the blisters to go away.  ugh.
52 yr old SjS, APS w/strokes, Autonomic Neuropathy, PN, Nephrogenic DI, (CVID) IgG def., Cushing's, Asthma, Gastroparesis.  Sero-neg w/+ lip biopsy.  Meds: IVIG & pre-meds, Arixtra, Aspirin, Plaquenil, Cardizem, Toprol XL, Domperidone, Nexium, Midodrine, Symbicort, Fentanyl, Percocet, Zofran

DragonflyC

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 03:16:59 PM »
I had my first reaction when I was about 8. No penicillin or sulfa meds for me!