Author Topic: Knot on left side of head above ear!  (Read 13265 times)

harlin

Knot on left side of head above ear!
« on: January 07, 2012, 03:49:13 PM »
Oh my goodness, what next? Just when I think things are going good boom, something else happens.
I spent 3 hours in the urgent care this morning and I still don't know anything. The Dr said " I just don't know, It worries me". Ah, that's why I was there. He ended up giving me an antibiotic, for what I don't know. He said something will either develope or it will go away. I am still confused.
He didn't think it was a cist or anykind of an infection because it isn't red. It is swollen to the size of a 50 cent piece. It is also effecting my cheek area. He thinks it is effecting a nerve.

I have a Dr apt with my GP on Wed so he thought that was great so she could follow up and do tests if it doesn't go away. It is sooo sore. I can't lay on that side.

It started on Thurs evening. Does anyone know what this could be?

help!
love and prayers, harlin
Female 56
RA, Sjogrens, Fibromyalgia, Reynolds, Osteoarthritis
IBS, Gerd, Restless leg syndrome
Plaquinel, Methotrexate, Horizant, Folic Acid, Savella, Nexium, Vitamin D, Flexiril, Actenel, Rastasis, Gentel,

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD
    • Chakra Force
Re: Knot on left side of head above ear!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 03:55:16 PM »
Oh Harlin, I have no clue. If it gets larger or more painful before you see the doctor go back to the ER. Things that appear quickly are often trouble. Take care of yourself and keep and eye or three on it.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

anita

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 04:03:44 PM »
Believe it or not, there are lymph nodes on the head.  Not sure if this is what you have, but I had a similar swelling last year (several around the same area).  After being bounced around many doctors (including a surgeon) trying to figure out why the lymph nodes would be swelling there, we tried a course of antibiotics...it cleared them up. 
50 yr old SjS, APS w/strokes, Autonomic Neuropathy, PN, Nephrogenic DI, (PID) IgG def., Cushing's, Asthma, Gastroparesis.  Sero-neg w/+ lip biopsy.  Meds: IVIG & pre-meds, Arixtra, Aspirin, Plaquenil, Nitro, Cardizem, Imdur, Toprol XL, Domperidone, Nexium, Midodrine, Symbicort, Oxycontin, Zofran

irish

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 11:30:59 PM »
I was going to say the same thing as Anita. We have lymph nodes on our head and all around the base of our skull and under and around the ears

My first bet is that it is indeed an infection in a lymph node or possibly a salivary gland. The pictures of the glands will show where they all lie, but everyone is different and the landscape of our face and head in relation to the glands and lymph nodes can be different.

Did the doc say to put heat or cold on this area??? Heat will bring increased blood flow and bring the antibiotic to the area. Cold will take swelling down---usually. I am not advising, I am just wondering about this. Hard to know what to do when you aren't sure. If it gets better in 48 hours my guess is that the antibiotic is working. And that is only a guess. Irish ;D

stephL

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 02:59:36 AM »
I think Irish is right about the ice, I use it to reduce the swelling because swelling interferes with circulation. It won't be able to heal well with reduced blood flow to the area. After the swelling goes down, they often open up and drain of their own accord. But allow this to happen naturally. If you try to force it by squeezing, it can damage healthy tissue and become a painful ulcer. Put a fresh bandage on and dab on some peroxide a few times a day to debride. (remove dead cells that can bacterial can feed on). If it's fairly big in size, it can seep a small amount of fluid daily, which tapers off over a weeks time. After that is over, it will heal. Sorry it sounds so gross, it's such a fun disease. :P
"Unlike weakness, fatigue can be alleviated by periods of rest." -Wikipedia: Fatigue (medical)

mh23834

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 02:02:23 PM »
My daughter had this happen to her!  It was a lymph node that was swollen, she had a small sore on the top of her head!  The doctor just told us to keep an eye on the sore spot and if it got worse to bring her back in.  We used neosporin on the sore and within a few days the swelling in her lymph node went down.  Just a sign that our bodies are doing what they are supposed to!

Hoping that your swollen spot is as easily fixed as my daughters!

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 04:18:35 PM »
Harlin, How are you doing?
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve

harlin

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 09:15:36 PM »
Joe
About the same. I think it is effecting my ear, as it is hurting tonight.
The swollen area doesn't have a head on it.
There are actually 2 swollen areas, one is right above my ear and is about quartersize. The
Other one is above it and is about 50 cent size.
They both really hurt and spreads out. Have a head
Ache and tingly area toward my cheek. I am
Calling my GP tomorrow to see if she will see me.
If not I will call my Rheumy.
It is really scaring my. I have had 3 antibiotic pills so
Far and it is no better.

Will let you know tomorrow what I find out
Thanks, harlin
Female 56
Plaquinel, Methotrexate, Horizant, Folic Acid, Savella, Nexium, Vitamin D, Flexiril, Actenel, Rastasis, Gentel,

anita

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 09:31:58 PM »
Lymph nodes swellings don't have a head.  So it sounds more like lymph nodes...especially if there is more then one.  Hopefully the antibiotic will help, but it will take a few days, not just a few pills.

BTW, the pain/tingling can be from swelling putting pressure on the nerves in the scalp....called occipital neuralgia.  I too had this with my swellings similar to yours, and it can be quite bothersome.  If it is the lymph nodes then the pain will subside after the swelling goes down...although it took a couple weeks for the nerves to settle down completely.

Sending some positive energy your way and hoping you start to feel better soon.
50 yr old SjS, APS w/strokes, Autonomic Neuropathy, PN, Nephrogenic DI, (PID) IgG def., Cushing's, Asthma, Gastroparesis.  Sero-neg w/+ lip biopsy.  Meds: IVIG & pre-meds, Arixtra, Aspirin, Plaquenil, Nitro, Cardizem, Imdur, Toprol XL, Domperidone, Nexium, Midodrine, Symbicort, Oxycontin, Zofran

harlin

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 09:41:04 PM »
Thanks so much Anita
I will let you know tomorrow what I find out
Harlin
Female 56

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 10:58:42 PM »
A warm water and Epsom salt compress may help. I hope you get better soon.

A66eyroad

• Be kind to yourself today!
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 11:49:34 AM »
Harlin, please keep us in the loop!

Many positive vibes your way.
Female, 60
Sjogrens and subacute cutaneous lupus. Flu-like symptoms, mouth ulcers, itchy rash, high cholesterol, headache, earache, tinnitis, dizziness. Hangover-like nausea, especially in the a.m.
Plaquenil, Atabrine, DHEA, Aleve, Evoxac, Allegra/Benedryl, Mary's Magic Mouthwash, carafate.

harlin

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 12:55:23 PM »
Well, I still don't know anything. My pcp said
To continue with the antibiotics and she would
See me on Wed. I called the Rheumy and the
Nurse said she would call me back. No word.
I guess I'll have to wait till tomorrow. It is no
Better except that it is a little less painful.

Don't mind telling you all that I am scared. You see
My dad died of brain cancer.

Thanks for listening will keep you posted
Harlin
Female 56

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 01:21:09 PM »
I do not think it is brain cancer. Did you try the warm Epsom salt compress?

A66eyroad

• Be kind to yourself today!
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 02:12:10 PM »
Brain cancer would probably not appear as a knot, but rather as a seizure. But I understand the fear! My (birth) father died of stomach cancer at age 45 and every bellyache I get makes me a wreck!

Do you think you could have bonked yourself on the noggin and not have known it? I get bruises all over the place and never can remember smacking into anything.
Female, 60
Sjogrens and subacute cutaneous lupus. Flu-like symptoms, mouth ulcers, itchy rash, high cholesterol, headache, earache, tinnitis, dizziness. Hangover-like nausea, especially in the a.m.
Plaquenil, Atabrine, DHEA, Aleve, Evoxac, Allegra/Benedryl, Mary's Magic Mouthwash, carafate.