Author Topic: Woke up choking  (Read 4208 times)

Suzie

Woke up choking
« on: December 30, 2011, 03:27:08 AM »
Twice in the last week I have woken up choking. It's horrible.
I have no idea why. My husband says I was snoring a bit this week, when normally I don't. I wonder if that could be why?

Has this happened to anyone else?

Happy and Healthy New Year to everyone,

Suzie

Carebear

Re: Woke up choking
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 08:52:00 AM »
Hi Suzie,

Sorry to hear about your choking.  Yes, I have experienced it a lot, however not for several years now.  And it is terrifying, isn't it?

For me, I attributed it to my high level of anxiety.  I found that whenever I was in the midst of extreme stress, this would happen.  But that was just my experience and it may not be true for you.

Now it may also be due to the dryness in your mouth.  I'm sure that contributed a lot to my problem as well.  Take care.  ;)
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

LizPetillo

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 09:41:22 AM »
Yep ... it's awful when it happens.  Thankfully not as often as about a year ago.  Summer of 2010 was horrid. 

Suzie

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 12:08:18 PM »
Liz, did you find out why you were choking? What made it stop?

Carebear, I wouldn't be surprised if it was down to anxiety. I don't feel terribly anxious, but who knows what's coming out of my sub-conscious when I'm asleep. Ahh, just another thing to wake me up and ruin my sleep.

If it's not needing to pee, painfully dry eyes or my puppy barking at something stupid, it's gonna be feeling like I'm choking to death.

How delightful!

Suzie

KellyG999

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 12:08:40 PM »
Suzie,

The choking episodes mixed with snoring make me wonder about OSA Obstuctive Sleep Apnea. Perhaps if you mentioned these symptoms your doctor could order a sleep test. OSA can be treated with Positive Airway Pressure vi mask, or also know as CPAP. Untreated OSA is linked to a number of poor health effects like stroke, uncontrolled diabetes, heart attack, car crashes, etc.

Do you wake up with morning headaches or are you terribly tired all day?

KellyG

Suzie

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 10:34:30 AM »
Hi KellyG,

I am ALWAYS terribly tired and I have constant headaches! I did a sleep study a year ago, but they found nothing. If this continues, it will be worth repeating the sleep study to see if I do have Sleep Apnea. I don't think I do. I just hope it stops.

Happy New Year!

Suzie

aussie mum

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 10:50:08 AM »
Hi Suzie,

I think you should get your Thyroid checked.

I was a snorer with several episodes of choking, especially if I fell asleep on the lounge chair.
I ended up with a Multi Nodule Goiter and needed surgery.

Guess what, I don't snore or wake up choking anymore  :)

Wishing you a Happy 2012
Aussie Mum
Daughter - SJS, Lupus, Underactive Thyroid, Wolff Parkinson White Syndrome & Insulin Resistance.

Me - Ankylosing Spondylitis, Total Thyroidectomy, Endometriosis, Adenomyosis, High Blood Pressure, Hiatus Hernia, Dry Eyes & Mouth, Stomach Issues, Enbrel, Thyroxine, Atacand, Pariet, Krill Oil, Vit D

Katybarstool

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 12:08:14 PM »
Do you have asthma? I do, and that occassionally wakes me up choking.

Kathyx

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 12:19:48 PM »
Suzie I thought the same thing KellyG did when I first read your post. I use to wake up gasping for a breath before I had my sleep study. I didn't have a clue I had obstructive sleep apnea, even though my husband did and was already using a bi-pap.

After my sleep study, they told me I had it severely. I forget exactly how many times per hour I stopped breathing, but it was a lot. I couldn't even believe it.

I do have hypothyroidism too, and it can effect things. Being nervous also caused similar things too. Especially for years if I got really nervous or upset, it felt like my throat was shutting off together.

I have asthma mostly if I get even a slight cold then it really kicks in.

Right now I have a cold, with sore dry throat, and I feel it down in my bronchial tubes, but trying to wait out until after New Years Day to see a doctor, because most are not in then.

Hope you find out what is causing this for you, and that you get help for it.
No More Choking Allowed !!!!!  ;)

susanep :)

« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 12:30:25 PM by susanep »
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 12:34:47 PM »
opps, thought of one more thing. lol...I remember too a few years ago, well longer, but I woke up and feeling like I couldn't breath. It continued so my husband took me to the emergency room, and they finally said it was the gird thing. (sp) gastro intestinal reflux disease. After I was taking something for it, it stopped.

Just wanted to cover what I knew.

susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi