Author Topic: anyone else indulging in cookies and candy??  (Read 5339 times)

valene2009

Re: anyone else indulging in cookies and candy??
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2011, 12:08:02 PM »
I have a question for Jazzlover-do you flare up if you have sugar-does it lead to more dryness?  Can you eat fruit? 

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2011, 02:08:16 PM »
One of the advantages of retirement is the lack of temptation laid on at the 'office'.

And of course, I don't bake or buy the stuff for the house.

However, tomorrow we go into Cookie and Candy Land.

My husband's family has a tradition of a certain candy, and everyone bakes and bakes.

So it will be everywhere.

I want to take some shrimp for shrimp cocktail, and maybe a veggie platter.   We can buy them on the way out of town.

I really want to downplay the food part, as I'm seriously losing weight this time around.

Foods don't affect my mood or general sense of well being, just my weight!

Merry Merry Happy Happy

Hugs

Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

gurs

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2011, 03:05:40 PM »
Sugar is a known inflammatory, and for those with severe yeast issues, not good. But, it seems to calm me down a bit. When you start eating it, your body just wants more. I know when I dont have it for awhile, i never crave it..very addicting indeed! I got into the xmas
cookies last week and paid the price..my tummy was so bloated and gassy/yeast related im sure..

See how your body feels after a few days..if you start feeling bad, would def stop eating it.

Also, make sure you take your probiotics.

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

valene2009

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2011, 04:12:24 PM »
so i guess if im not having stomach issues after i eat it maybe it doesnt affect me too much?  i just wondered if it made my eyes drier.. most of the time they just get very dry whenever they feel like it!!! ahhhh

4Kids

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2011, 05:22:09 PM »
Embarrassed to say I am having about 3 nibbles a day. That is more than I have had in a year and it is not good. I feel fine, tired of course, but tis the season.

I love to bake and will likely pay for this next week. Feel free to tease me if I complain about a flare.  Weirdly enough I am dryer without Salagen and more moist with it while eating sweets on this streak. :o
Plaquinel, Restasis, Salagen, Arthrotec, Cod Liver Oil, B Vitamins, Palafer-C, Plaquinel, Metformin, Spironlactone, Biotin

jazzlover

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2011, 06:46:40 PM »
Hi  :)

Cookies and candy are definitely a US thing - not a UK one. When my DIL was over she was really confused by the lack of cookies and promptly set in to baking some.

Chocolate is a favourite last minute Christmas gift but not to be consumed until Christmas day at the earliest.

Wishing you a flare free festive season

Take care - Scottie  :)

-
yep .. that is why so many Americans are so fat!! I'm sure YOU weren't going to say that so I did!! ;) ;D
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

jazzlover

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2011, 06:47:41 PM »
I have a question for Jazzlover-do you flare up if you have sugar-does it lead to more dryness?  Can you eat fruit?
-
I have candida really bad. Can't get rid of it. I can't eat fruit either now.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2011, 08:28:29 PM »
kill your candida with tones: http://www.chakraforce.com/Tonations.html#324.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

valene2009

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2011, 08:32:38 PM »
thanks Jazzlover... I didnt mean to intrude.  (hope i didnt!) i guessi just so often wonder if the sugar makes me drier in the eyes... ahhh..  my new years resolution is after i go to my new rheumy in Jan to make an apt with a naturopath md... if i want to try a strict diet i need a doc's guidance and food testing would be good too.

for now i will enjoy my sweets...

Autoimmunity

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2011, 08:42:39 PM »
Hi  :)

Cookies and candy are definitely a US thing - not a UK one. When my DIL was over she was really confused by the lack of cookies and promptly set in to baking some.

Chocolate is a favourite last minute Christmas gift but not to be consumed until Christmas day at the earliest.

Wishing you a flare free festive season

Take care - Scottie  :)

I can do without cookies, but if I buy chocolate, I cannot control myself and it is GONE!  I try to save it for the day, it never makes it  :-\

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2011, 10:03:04 PM »
I haven't even baked any cookies this year but after 2 years of being a good diabetic I fell off the wagon. I am eating more than I should and I am snitching M&M's and taking bigger portions of my snack of Cheetos.

I have had a very low AIC so I have been cheating. The other thing is that I think the plaquenil is keeping my blood sugar down and I am hungry and eating more. This has got to come to a screaching halt as I have gained about 6 pounds and that is not good.

At the same time, darn, we have all lost so much joy in our lives that snitching now and again is really a big pleasure for us. Irish ;D

LizPetillo

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2011, 03:53:38 AM »
There is NO WAY I'd go near cookies or candy.  Not a chance!  It's just begging for a flare and begging to get hit with thrush.  Nope.  No way.  Not unless I"m miraculously cured someday  ... then watch me hit the fudge! 

gurs

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2011, 03:48:49 AM »
I wish I had your willpower Liz.....

A good suggestion . I dont bake, my mom made about 7 different kinds of cookies, and i just take a nibble off of each of them, rather than
eat an entire cookie..love this!!!

We gave all the cookies away, but I want more now!!!  My tummy really started up though. Darn yeast Im guessing!

If sugar is an inflammatory, sure it can cause dryness. Also, if your drier, might be some of the other ingredients in the cookies. Im very
careful since I have so many allergies..the soy, gluten, and tons of other other things might be contributing to the added dryness.

The weather changing not fun either...this cold/snow def not helping either.

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2011, 08:15:26 AM »
Mom used to make divinity, caramels, chocolate covered cherries, Lady fingers, Velveeta fudge, krumb kaka, Lefsa, Toffe, monkey bread, Cinnamon Rolls, Ice box cookies.  Hard candies, candy canes and other sweets were also available but not homemade. Until you brought it up I never thought about all the sweets at Christmas.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Jorja

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2011, 12:04:01 PM »
Do peanut butter balls, peanut brittle, chocolate dipped pretzels, brownies, miniature banana nut bread, pecan pie tarts, caramel corn, two regular size pecan pies, a 14 layer cake with Chocolate Fudge Icing count?  I had some of all of them.  I figured if we baked it, I had to have a little or maybe a lot.  My biggest culprit was the pecan pie tarts.  Yum. 

Luckily, I am underweight so it didn't 't hurt that way but now, I am suffering with a badddddddddd cause of thrush.  My gums are almost bleeding.  It hurts and maddens me; but, I would still eat a lot of sweets.  It's CHRISTmas and I plan to enjoy it.  This darn illness is NOT going to take all my fun away!!

Blessings,
Jorja