Author Topic: Woke Up To Lips Glued Shut! Yikes!  (Read 7522 times)

artsyamerican

Woke Up To Lips Glued Shut! Yikes!
« on: December 04, 2011, 04:02:28 PM »
OMG...this morning was by far the dryest mouth morning yet.  My lips were literally glued shut.  Half awake I struggled to get them open and I couldn't even swallow! PANIC!! I grabbed an old water bottle on my night stand (ewww...but at this point I would have downed swamp water)...and I finally...recovered.  Geez...seems to be no rhyme or reason how you will wake up in the morning.  Is it something I'm doing or not doing the night before...or is it just a crap shoot??? Ugh.

Doxie

Re: Woke Up To Lips Glued Shut! Yikes!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 05:41:14 PM »
I understand your frustration. I keep a water bottle by my bed too.  There are lots of people here that have good suggestions.   I also keep the biotene spray near by.  Have you tries the biotene gel?  I use it sometimes, but don't really like the feel of it.

I wish there were great answers. I wake up several times a night with lips stuck to teeth, and eyes glued shut. I guess just try experimenting with what works for you.

The greatest thing I learned was to take little sips during the night rather than drink very much.  What helps me when I wake up super dry at night or in the morning is either some sugar free lemon drops or other hard candy, or sugar free gum, which helps bring me some saliva, and lasts longer than a sip of water.

Patze

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 07:36:40 PM »
Oh my Artsy, I sure do understand what you're talking about!  I often wake up to the tongue on the roof of my mouth or my lips attached to my teeth - whew, scared me the first few times it happened. 

I always use a straw in my drinks and that helps get fluid into my mouth when the lips are glued to the teeth.  I'll swish water around and they'll slowly separate (the first time it happened I pulled the lip off of the teeth and ripped some skin off of it - boy oh boy did that hurt! :o).

Are you also using a CPAP machine?  I know mine gets worse when I use certain masks.

Hang in there and take care of yourself -

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 12:50:50 AM »
Sip, Swish, and Swallow. I wake multiple times each night to do this between meditations and trips to the bath. I do the same during my waking day.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

AnaGamble

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 02:53:25 AM »
I understand your frustration. I keep a water bottle by my bed too.  There are lots of people here that have good suggestions.   I also keep the biotene spray near by.  Have you tries the biotene gel?  I use it sometimes, but don't really like the feel of it.

Can't help but ask, is biotene really the best that is out there?
I probably don't have as dry mouth as many of you yet but that gel seems to only last me about 3-4h when I sleep.
Was hoping the doctor would prescribe me some medication for saliva boosting.

And artsyamerican I tend to wake up many times worse depending on what I eat the day before.
Still haven't figured all of them out but one thing is for sure with my body; very fatty food = me getting a lot more dry, chocolate=me being in severe pain for days  :'(
Gluten doesn't make my body a very happy bunny either, will stop eating any of it as soon as I have my bloodtests today.
Didn't want to risk messing them up by eating in a "sane" way, just hope they'll test for everything under the moon so I don't have to keep up doing stuff I know is bad for me.  :-\

Jenny

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 04:41:47 AM »
Oh do I know what you mean!  I keep a sports water bottle by my bed and sometimes force the little squirter between my lips and squeeze a little water until I can open my mouth. I don't find that the Biotine lasts very long.
63 year old female with back, shoulder, neck and knee pain, dry mouth, losing teeth, dry sinuses,Blood test positive for Sjogrens. Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis .
Maloxicam, Lisinopril, Norco, misc.vitamins
4 discs in low back fused. Shoulder replaced 2015 & 2017 Need knee replaced.
4 hand surgeries