Author Topic: Dry, raw mouth, tongue and inside cheeks  (Read 15571 times)

KellyG999

• SjS, IBS, Fibro, spinal tumor, depression, anxiety
Dry, raw mouth, tongue and inside cheeks
« on: November 27, 2011, 05:10:23 PM »
Hi Friends,

Do any of you get a dry, raw, sore, burning feeling in your mouth? You know, beyond just dry, which is unpleasant enough as it is. But this is a raw, sore feeling. The insides of my cheeks feel like they have been chewed up, and there are raised lines and bumps in that area too.

I use biotene, but that only helps a tiny bit. I notice this starts to happen just before my throat dries up and swells. Any suggestions are appreciated. This is making me crazy. Crazier than usual...

Thanks,
KellyG
42 year old Female: Salagen, Lexapro, pain meds, Restasis,  B-12, Vit D, Omega 3's, Protonix, Allegra, NuMoisyn lozenges, various probiotics
Worst symptom - dry swollen throat episodes - scary!

Narablueeyes

Re: Dry, raw mouth, tongue and inside cheeks
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 05:30:03 PM »
Mine hasn't gotten NEAR that bad and I can't even imagine the pain you're experiencing!!  First thing that popped into my mind was the time I had strep throat.  Do you think antibiotics would help?  I'm ignorant in this area so please forgive if I say something dingy.  Fruit sorbet or ice cubes might be soothing but I doubt it would help any.  I don't know...I'm at a loss.  I'll light a candle for you during my meditation tonight.

arina83

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 05:38:24 PM »
I will sometimes get some pain when my mouth is extremely dry, but for me its more a tingling pain. My throat has been very dry, and I can't figure out how to moisten it... that has a kind of sore, burning sensation. Do have a little area inside one cheek that feels like a canker sore, but there's nothing there.

I get a little relief from biotene (mouth wash, toothpaste and moisturizing gel), but none of it lasts long.

Jellyb

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 05:56:15 PM »
Hi Kelly,
I get the sore mouth also. In fact tbe roof of my mouth is so sore right now and sensitive and so is my  tongue. I have figured out for me, that when I eat the wrong foods its almost like an allergic skin reaction in my mouth. Then my parotids start to ache and it feels like my throat gets tight.

I ate stuff I shouldnt have over thanksgiving and am paying the price for it now.

It helps me if i sip cold sparkling water and keep away from my trigger foods.

I hope your mouth feels better soon :-(
Primary sjogrens, Raynauds.
Magnesium, vitamin C, tumeric, low dose estrogen.

Multiple chemical and food allergies
Gluten free

Sooki

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 05:59:42 PM »
Are sure it's not correlated to anything you've been eating? cleaning products? shampoo? fragrance? bread? artificial cinnamon (my niece!)?  In some ways, it would be so nice if it were!  Suddenly, I'm getting mouth sores from eating fresh oranges (never had a problem before) and it's Satsuma season, my consolation for fall weather.  Never happened before.  Does Benadryl help (to rule out allergic reactions)?
64 yo, Sjogren's, Lupus, Hashimoto's, fatigue, MGUS, peripheral neuropathy,
Plaquenil, CellCept, Synthroid,
D3, Ca/Mg, fish oil, ALA, DHEA, biotin, B-12, always GF, DF, S(oy)F, currently Paleo Autoimmune diet

SueAnn

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 06:08:38 PM »
Yes and my tongue gets big red raised spots on it.  I have to watch what I eat, too many dry type of wheat products really aggravate it.  If I didn't take Evoxac three times a day I don't know what I would do.   Before the Evoxac I had a huge sores/cracks on the sides of my tongue that were making me miserable.  They have gone away, but if I miss a dose I can feel them lurking, ready to pop back up and make me crazy.

I sometimes get the feeling like my throat is so dry that it is closing up and I start to panic.  This mostly happens when I have to speak out loud to my students.  I keep Worthers Candies on hand as the creamy feeling from the candy really helps for some reason. 

I hope you find a good solution for your throat, it is such a scary feeling when it feels like it is swelling up.

SueAnn
Sjs
Cellcept, Plaquenil, Evoxac, Prednisone, Restasis, and Tramadol.
SAM-e, calcium, Vit D3
Female - 52

Dolly Dimples

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 12:04:43 PM »
  I hear you too Kelly, 
       My mouth causes me no end of problems, sore , dry cracked gums, also mouth ulcers,etc'
         Being a denture wearer is so hard too,
               at times,I cannot get my denture in as my gums swell with any here slight pressure ,
                     such as eating anything a little tough, crusts or meats etc'.   
                       I cant swallow the tiniest of tablets without eating thick yoghourt while I swallow tablets..
                       Sorry, cant pass any cures on , but strict dental hygeine, and tender loving care of the mouth is vital!
                                   It's a real pain!!!         Dolly x

Rachel F.

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 07:33:33 PM »
Hi Kelly,
My only help is to suggest looking into eosonophil esophagitis as well as oral allergy syndrome. They both sound like potential candidates for you... maybe you are already diagnosed with them? They run in my family... I've had to avoid nuts, eggs, wheat, fish, dairy... I can tolerate soy... sometimes other weird things irritate my throat but it just seems to depend on the day. Have you tried the ACT mouthwash for dry mouth? I really like it... but it does have mint in it which sometimes can irritate my throat.
I will be thinking about you!
Take care,
Rachel F.
Esonophilic esophagitus, sicca syndrome, plaquinel, prednisone, small fiber neuropathy, diagnosed via "hypocomplementemia" in bloodwork. All else negative.

newhorizons

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 07:55:49 PM »
Kelly, Tingling of tongue is regular thing with me and it has been diagnosed at Duke as part of peripheral neuropathy.

When I began to get what Dolly describes as mouth ulcer, I use Tea Tree Oil from a small bottle that one can purchase at Walmart for around 5 bucks.  When you read it is for fungal infection which thrush falls under and with the mouth being a warm in our case "often dry".

I take pilocarphine (Salagen brand name) 3 times a day. 

Just lately on my R inside of ridge along teeth I started to have red streaks and pain that just would not stop even with P med.

Waited two days and begin to sense stress was brewing in the family about a matter. And, I did not fare well handling it SOOOOOOOOO started using TToil on Qtip and rubbing the red streaks and when flossing one tooth bled...  Bingo, source of infection.  Treated the tooth area with Tea Tree Oil Toothpaste I purchase at Local Natural Food Store and put a couple drops of Liquid TToil in warm glass of water and gargled and swished for 2 or 3 days each time I ate.

GOOOOOOOONE...  Hooray!!!!!!

note: search tea tree oil in search icon at top of post as it has been discussed before.

Something of interest:  Purchased me a tongue cleaner and it has been helped tremendously.  Got mine at Ntrl Food Store, though feel CVS, Walgreen's will also have.

In fact, someone mentioned a tongue cleaner in one of the earlier post.  So think worth you time to do some searching on this SW site.

Any questions, give me a PM.

KellyG999

• SjS, IBS, Fibro, spinal tumor, depression, anxiety
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 08:05:52 PM »
Thanks for all the good thoughts, ideas and suggestions. Most of all thanks for the support and understanding I so badly need. The family tries, but, they don't get it. It is 7:04 PM and I am ready for bed...

Take care, everyone.

KellyG

PS - I can't take benadryl, dries me inside and out. But I rinsed my mouth with liquid allegra then swallowed the dose. Twenty minutes or so later, I was BETTER! And I had full food allergy (negative)tests...hmmmmm.
42 year old Female: Salagen, Lexapro, pain meds, Restasis,  B-12, Vit D, Omega 3's, Protonix, Allegra, NuMoisyn lozenges, various probiotics
Worst symptom - dry swollen throat episodes - scary!

Rachel F.

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 11:04:02 AM »
I had all food allergy tests too-- results negative... but I still have reactions to the common allergy inducing foods... i dont really trust the results in this area. My allergist said food allergy tests are pretty unreliable as well.
 Glad you found something that worked!  Hurrah!!!!

Esonophilic esophagitus, sicca syndrome, plaquinel, prednisone, small fiber neuropathy, diagnosed via "hypocomplementemia" in bloodwork. All else negative.

Julie

• My reflection is not ME any more.
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 03:48:46 PM »
I eat very boring foods because anything with spices hurt my tongue.  (and stomach) I use to have a lot of trouble with the inside of my mouth hurting and would get cysts under my tongue too.  I've learned to avoid spices and acidic food and beverages, and I chew on ice all day long. 
This soreness comes and goes.  I would suggest that if yours is unrelenting ... you might check with your doctor to see if it's a yeast infection. A prescription for the Nystatin swish and swallow stuff could help .

Good luck!

Pisces24

• Hashimotos, Reynards, SJS 03/09; Lymphoma 4/12
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 07:07:52 PM »
I have an area on my lower rt side of mouth that seems to get drier than any other place. My lower lip is especially dry too. The gums there get soooo dry. So far I have been able to tolerate it and it has not been really bad.

Skylar

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 09:51:48 PM »
When I began to get what Dolly describes as mouth ulcer, I use Tea Tree Oil from a small bottle that one can purchase at Walmart for around 5 bucks.  When you read it is for fungal infection which thrush falls under and with the mouth being a warm in our case "often dry".
I'd be very careful about using tea tree oil in the mouth or recommending it to others- it can be very irritating or cause allergies - the last thing you'd want in your mouth lesions. It's also toxic but I don't know at what dose - and perhaps the small amount you apply to an ulcer is okay? I would contact a medical professional first before using it in my mouth.

I've been having ongoing problems with my mouth - and lots of bleeding even though I get my teeth cleaned quarterly and brush/floss etc and I have very little tartar on my teeth. I've had sore areas along parts of my gums and kept begging both my dentist and the periodontist for help - but nothing they prescribed helped. So recently I saw the dermatologist for something else and told her about my mouth problems. LOL I should have seen her right away, she examined my mouth carefully- she prescribed topical cortisone to be used in the mouth and after a few days I've gotten relief and a little increase of moisture in my mouth too.

Burning and pain from neuropathy won't be helped by cortisone, but swelling and pain from lesions will be reduced significantly. Because my mouth is so dry and lacking in saliva to lubricate - sometimes I bite the sides of my mouth - and sometimes in the same place over and over again - the cortisone is helping with that too - reducing the swelling and allowing these areas to heal.

BTW anyone can have food allergies or they can find certain foods/spices etc. irritating - they are two different things but both can cause pain and swelling and problems anywhere along the digestive tract. Right now, while I'm having these problems with my mouth, I'm finding certain foods that I can normally eat, irritating - such as citrus fruit. I'm also having trouble with anything with a sharp, crunchy type texture that might scratch inside my mouth. So like other posters here, there is a list of food/spices that I just don't eat.

KellyG, I'm glad you found relief from liquid allegra - that was clever.

Dorisday

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 11:06:05 AM »
what is liquid allegra?please'