Author Topic: A cold? It's 80 degrees out!  (Read 2254 times)

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
A cold? It's 80 degrees out!
« on: November 16, 2011, 05:44:05 AM »
Dearest angels,

You may recall my saying back at the beginning of my 'stay' here in our safe harbor, that "I don't ever get sick".

I meant I didn't get the run of colds and flu and such like that many do, and  I attributed that to my possibly over active immune system.  Since I still believed that I had Sjogren's, which is an AI disease.

Come to find out this Fall, that my immune system factors are severely compromised!   Most probably from the anticonvulsant I had been taking for 5 years.  THAT is my self diagnosis, of course.  So I've stopped the RX, and will have the IgG numbers checked again next year.

WELL, I have my second cold in two months, settled in my chest.  ACK.

I take the BEST possible care of myself, have almost no stress (well, thinking I had an aortic aneurysm and lung cancer 'may' have been a bit stressful), and of COURSE I never get sick. 

So now I guess the low immune system is catching up with me.

I want to exercise!   I want to have my normal pain instead of the total body pain that accompanies any inflammation.   I am all worried about using the circus tickets next Monday, and driving for Thanksgiving, WITH the grandpuppy Beagle, Luke.

OK, a day at a time, and yes, Joe, I'm trying to remember to breathe.  It helps.

This, too, shall pass.

TODAY I will stay quiet and wait this out.

My big fear is bronchitis...............

"I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it"  Alice, Alice in Wonderland.

I tell people to monitor their self-pity. Self-pity is very unattractive.
Patty Duke

Hugs

Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

Meld256

Re: A cold? It's 80 degrees out!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 06:01:39 AM »
Oh, Elaine!  You and Scottie have it... :(

I fear we are in for a real round of "fall-winter nasties" this year. I hope not!

Please rest. I know you have things to do, but as you know, taking care of yourself now is best.

Seems like everytime I need to just "cool my jets" I can be thinking "but, I have to do this...and that..and..and..." and it doesn't help me at all. 

I know you realize all that.  Sending you a hug and wish for feeling better soon!
Melinda

Duchess

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 06:38:53 AM »
This is a stressful time of the year for some people. Remember to BREATHE!!

Get some alone time. Go for a nice walk and enjoy the sights and sounds of nature.

Continue to take care of yourself the best you know how. That's all you can do.

Duchess
58 y/o, Sjogren's, Lupus, Raynaud's, Mitral Valve Repair, Asthma, Myofascial Pain. Plaquenil, Inhalers, Ibuprofen,Exovac, Vitamin D, Vitamin B-12, Omega 3, Eye Drops, Quinipril, Massage therapy.

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 04:18:45 PM »
Hi Carolina  :)

(((hugs)) - sorry you are feeling bad.

A landlady I once had gave me a recipe for a remedy for chesty coughs. She told me to chop up some garlic and simmer it in just over a cupful of water for about 20 mins. Strain it and drink the liquid. (It doesn't taste as bad as you may think and it does help to clear the chest)

Tough luck getting two colds so close to each other.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

KellyG999

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 06:00:31 PM »
Hi Elaine,

Well, darn it. I hate colds and coughs on top of the SjS. It just adds a whole new layer of "uncomfortable-ness." Is that a word?

I guess now the key is to try to keep your chest clear. I like to take hot showers, but if I don't have time for the whole routine, I just steam up the bathroom by running the shower and sticking my head in through the curtain a bit. Lots and lots of warm liquids. I am a HUGE fan of Umka Cold Care, a homeopathic liquid cold preparation. The cherry tastes good and I swear it cuts the severity and time down by half.

Take care and feel better.

(((HUGS)))[/move

KellyG

jmkboyer

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 08:38:40 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear you feel badly, Elaine.  If I could send you my homemade chicken soup across the wi-fi I would.

As my PT told me today after working me over, please try and take it easy!

Hope this is short-lived!

MB

eyeamdry

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 09:54:33 PM »
Why are you afraid to travel with grandpup?  Lucy

ohiolady

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 06:18:59 AM »
I feel Umka works as well.  Dr. Oz mentioned it on his program.  It cuts the severity and length quite a bit.

Hope you feel better soon.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

Carolina

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 06:32:31 AM »
Oh, eyeamdry,

I don't have a problem with the grand pup, but I tend to think I'll never feel WELL again when I'm sick.

So just the idea of riding for 5 hours each way in the car for this Thanksgiving trip, plus walking the dog.......I tend to 'awful-ize' what it will be like if I'm still sick.

But that is living in a future that is totally uncertain. 

When I'm not sick I do pretty well at letting things roll along.

When I'm sick every part of me hurts, due to the inflammation, and all my negativity gets going!

What will be, will be.   And come to think of it, if I'm truly sick we won't even go!

There are always, almost always, choices to be made.

Thanks for helping  me see this, eyeamdry!

Hugs

Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

A66eyroad

• Be kind to yourself today!
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 07:22:51 AM »
I know exactly what you mean, Elaine! I am the same way --- I'm he77 when I'm well, and I feel like he77 when I'm sick!  8)

Prayers and positive thoughts in your direction, my friend.
Female, 61
Sjogrens, UCTD, and subacute cutaneous lupus. Flu-like symptoms, mouth & nasal ulcers, itchy rash, high cholesterol, headache, earache, tinnitis, dizziness. Hangover-like nausea, especially in the a.m.
Plaquenil, Atabrine, DHEA, Aleve, Evoxac, Allegra/Benedryl, esomeprazole.

Meld256

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 07:42:46 AM »
A66ey,
 :D ;D  Love your line!

Elaine,
Oh, I know...once we've been so ill, we can only imagine how bad it MIGHT be.  Sometimes it turns out better than we expect and we're pleasantly surprised.  I hope that happens for you!

Carolina

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 10:40:28 AM »
Hoo haaa angels!

I'm feeling better.  Not so all over awful.

It's odd, I really never did get many colds, I had the first one at age 25!

And then of course it turned into bronchitis, which I firmly believe should be called 'acute fatal necrotizing bronchial plague'.

I really haven't had much experience with the 'common cold' that doesn't last for months.

So I'm getting better (tho' of course I worry that saying I'm better, means I'll get worse).

I can be such an IDIOT!

Hugs

Elaine

Meld256

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 10:59:15 AM »
Hooty-whoo!  Glad you are feeling a bit better!

And remember, I think it's in the rules posting somewhere that no one is allowed to say they are an idiot here! If not, I believe I'll suggest that... :D

Have a better day, dear.