Author Topic: Finding new PCP  (Read 803 times)

arina83

Finding new PCP
« on: November 17, 2011, 07:50:25 AM »
So, I'm working on finding a new PCP for myself, and I was wondering what questions I should ask (aside from if they take my health insurance).

A66eyroad

• Be kind to yourself today!
Re: Finding new PCP
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 07:52:23 AM »
Can you ask the person who answers the phone if they could tell you how many Sjogren's patients this doctor has in his/her practice?
Female, 61
Sjogrens, UCTD, and subacute cutaneous lupus. Flu-like symptoms, mouth & nasal ulcers, itchy rash, high cholesterol, headache, earache, tinnitis, dizziness. Hangover-like nausea, especially in the a.m.
Plaquenil, Atabrine, DHEA, Aleve, Evoxac, Allegra/Benedryl, esomeprazole.

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 08:42:06 AM »
Have a list of medications that you are on, list of symptoms and an advocate when ever you see some one.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Meld256

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 08:54:27 AM »
Hi arina,

Good answers from A66ey and Joe.  ;)

At my first appt. with my new PCP, I asked him some things in a way almost like I was "interviewing" him as a candidate to become my doctor.  I told him I was looking for a new one and why.

I had a list of my meds and gave a short summary of my history in the last couple of years. (the time I'd been dealing with all this)  I told him how my PCP and Rheumy at the time seemed frustrated with how to help me; things were getting worse, I was frustrated and felt miserable. 

Then I asked if he had any suggestions on how to help me differently from them, told him I need a doc who would listen and not dismiss me, and work with me to treat my symptoms.

I was so pleasantly surprised!  He told me all docs should work with their patients, he promised to listen and care.  He didn't know right away what else we could do, but he was open to my suggestions and we would work together.  I've been with him for a year now, and he has kept all his promises. 

arina83

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 10:06:09 AM »
Thanks for the ideas. Frustrated and tired now... Two of the offices I called don't accept my insurance and at the third the doctor I wanted to see isn't accepting new patients.

And I've also run out of Restasis, and I don't know when I'll be able to get more since my insurance needs to approve it before the pharmacy can fill the prescription.

Really don't have the energy for this.... But I need to see someone soon, since my hands are getting very painful.