Author Topic: Nail pulling away from cuticle  (Read 3431 times)

harlin

Nail pulling away from cuticle
« on: November 15, 2011, 10:03:38 AM »
Hi everyone
I have been having this issue with my thumb nail, it is pulling away from my cuticle. Around the nail base it is cracked and splitting. My nail is turning toward the right also. I showed it to my Rheumy but she said just use a good nail polish. I have been having this issue for about 3 or more months.

Is anyone else having this issue? It doesn't look very good and I have a hard time not picking at it. I know, I know, leave it alone. haha

Love to all, harlin

olmphoto2

Re: Nail pulling away from cuticle
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 10:46:06 AM »
Yes.  This year I was diagnosed with lichen planus, also autoimmune and not contagious.  This pic linked below is a good representation for me now, unfortunately.  Some sources say nails won't impove but if I am diligent I can return a nail to a short length in about six months. Yes, read 'don't pick at it'...very difficult went your nails are a mess!  Nail polish, clear, is a mixed blessing that I rarely use as it is drying and can hurt.  But I have been known to put it on a bare nail bed that is fairly well healed to help hide the lousy appearance of having no nail.  I'm starting to use a steroid cream on them as suggested by my dermatologist, paying particular attenion to the nail base.  Sometimes I need triple antibiotic and a bandaid for a day or two.

http://www.drdavidtharvey.com/images/lichen_planus/lichen_planus4.jpg

Current I have NO nails whatsoever on three fingers. :(  The lichen planus causes damage to the nail matrix itself.

If you google lichen planus nails then click on 'images' over on the left you will find pics not only of nails with varying degress of problems but also skin (including scalp), mouth (cheek, tongue, lips) and genital possible difficulties. Actually, here's the link for you:

http://www.google.com/images?q=lichen%20planus%20nails&biw=1366&bih=572&sei=JJLCTvnLLoGW2QWMxrXEDg

Mary Ann in Wisconsin

"A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that is unlocked and opens inwards as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push." 
          Ludwig Wittgenstein

LisaMarie

• Records show Sjogren's
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 02:21:24 PM »
I have that with my toes.  The one toe I've lost the toe nail due to running (damage occurred after my half marathon).  But there are two others that I've lost as well and they were not damaged due to running.  I have the yellow discolorations on both big toes.  It isn't a fungus and I keep my toe nails clipped.  They begin to die off and sometimes I need to clip them way back to prevent them from causing issues when I run.
Plaquenil (generic), vitamin D, Amitriptyline, Citalopram

soycoffee

• Dry feet :-) Primary SJS
    • For My Tummy -- IBS
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 02:51:45 PM »
Olmphoto2,

Thank you very much for the link to the pictures!

Both my daughter, 41, and I, 71, probably have lichen planus. I have had the ridged thumbnails periodically for ages; she has had terrible changes to her toenails, that she calls a fungus. We both have a horrible itching on the vulva, that in my case looks like the pictures of lichen planus.

She wouldn't really want to own to a diagnosis of Sjögren's Syndrome right now, as she is in denial about anything "wrong" with me, including the aftermath of being hit by a car. She also has had blepharitis, and ocular rosacea.

She *will* admit to acne rosacea, so I'll send her the information I have from the ophthalmologist on acne rosacea, and the study she's doing -- and your link to Google images.

Soycoffee
Primary Sjögren's Syndrome // Gabapentin, Prednisone, Dibencozide, Methyl B12, Adenosyl B12, 5-MTHF Folate, MSM for pain, SAM-e, TMG, zinc, multimineral, D3, Benfotiamine, Melatonin, Spicy Hot V-8 Juice

harlin

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 02:10:39 PM »
Thanks ulmphoto
OMG I can't believe this. My nails have had ridges on them for several months along with my crazy thumb nail. Is this what I have to look forward to????
I don't want anything else!! Mine is not as bad as the pictures yet. Will it spread to the rest of my nails? I try to keep up with them by keeping them clean and well manicured. (I do myself every week.)

Thanks so much for the info I had no idea. Does this go along with Sjogrens?
love to all, harlin  :(